Iffy DT Players - change of roles 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think with the amount of injuries to the ADE midfield Reilly (who I have heard rated as their number 2 midfielder, although that is obviously personal opinion) would be able to find a gig there.

I find it very hard to believe that he would be kept deep in defence, but then I guess I'm not the coach.
Injuries?

Yeah, I'm sure someone else knows better than I do, but I thought VB will miss most if not all of the NAB cup, and Symes will miss the start of the season. More than happy to stand corrected though.

I assume he's talking about Van Berlo & to a lesser extent Symes.
Ahh forgot about Van Berlo. Still with Dangerfield trying to find a spot in that midfield, there may not be much more room for Reilly than there was before. Although maybe his role on HB was just a way of easing him back to match speed (ala Haselby).

The return of Hentschel should (in theory) allow Bock to remain in the back half all season. We'll have to wait and see whether or not it eventuates.
The problem is that Bocky has it in his head that he is a forward trapped in the body of a back, and NC let him play out his fantasy, once for a whole season!!

Unless we develop another AA CHB somewhere in the wings, I could safely say that Bock and forward don't go together anymore and I think even Bocky realises that now.

According to Monty, Corey played like a Joel Bowden style DT whore when he was at HB, so I doubt it will affect him too much. As for Bock, I was very interested, then I saw an article in the paper, with quotes from a Crows player, about the Crows changing their 'kick it around the backline' gameplan which has led to players like Bock, Johncock and McLeod being good DT options for years into actually using the ball. I think he'll play back all year, but I'm not sure if playing back for the Crows will mean the same DT scores as it used to be.

I personally dont see a whole lot of role changes this year. I think the most interesting one is Mcphee and also Goddard. I think Goddard could become almost a permanant midfielder, whilst i see no room in the forward line for Mcphee. Adcock also has uncertainty about his role in 09, however i dont care whether he plays onball or HBF. He will score well in both positions IMO.

Also what about C.Sylvia is he a permanent midfielder now?? (N.Jones, Mclean, Sylvia) in the guts is what i would like to see.

I heard Gram would get that midfielder job over goddard.. or are they both touted to move into midfield.. or share that role? both had stints in the midfield.. last year..

What do you guys think of Josh Fraser?

I know this is very left field but I believe that when fully fit he can be one of the elite ruckman in the league. His around the ground style lends itself well to DT points.

Averages:
2003 - 81.0
2004 - 83.7
2005 - 42.6 (injury/only played 5 games)
2006 - 95.2
2007 - 80.3
2008 - 75.4 (injury plagued throughout the year)

Thoughts?

What do you guys think of Josh Fraser?

I know this is very left field but I believe that when fully fit he can be one of the elite ruckman in the league. His around the ground style lends itself well to DT points.

Averages:
2003 - 81.0
2004 - 83.7
2005 - 42.6 (injury/only played 5 games)
2006 - 95.2
2007 - 80.3
2008 - 75.4 (injury plagued throughout the year)

Thoughts?

I don't think anybody doubts his ability and potential to be the 2BR this year K but as you say the key is getting him fully fit. With huge concerns over the bench rucks this year durability with the 2 onfield rucks is becoming a vital factor. Fraser has only had 1 full season since 2002 so it does not look good from that angle.

i think fraser could well move up the rankings but i doubt he will get to number 2.
at brisbane, i think jared brennan and mitch clark would be having the most unsure roles this year, and to a lesser extent scott harding

Scott Harding is a midfielder, that's pretty clear cut?

Mitch Clark was used everywhere last season. Personally I think he will be either used up forward or down back as Charman and Leuenberger have sewn up the ruck positions - on the basis they can get back to full fitness. With Brown and Bradshaw playing up forward you would think he would be better utilised down back. Could easily rotate through the two positions though.

Brennan could be used anywhere. That's his major strength. Can play up forward, down back, ruck and as seen at the latter stages of last season through the midfield. The relevant question for DT is though where does he play his most effective footy (dt-wise) and will he be played there enough to justify the selection?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Iffy DT Players - change of roles 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back