I'm sick of the current finals format - I want a top 12!

Remove this Banner Ad

Finals are cut throat enough as it is. I think more reward should be placed on ladder position, not less.

Top 6 should be the go for a start keep in the teams that actually have a chance at the premiership and shed off some of the fodder teams. Maybe a couple of extra weeks off up for grabs or another two double chances thrown in to keep it to 4 weeks.

one of the things in our game that isn't broken and people still want to change it.:rolleyes:
8 is the max amount of teams you could have in a finals series and the current format is as good and fair as you could do.

The thing that does need tweaking is the home and away fixture, now that is uneven, unfair and all over the place.

one of the things in our game that isn't broken and people still want to change it.:rolleyes:
8 is the max amount of teams you could have in a finals series and the current format is as good and fair as you could do.

The thing that does need tweaking is the home and away fixture, now that is uneven, unfair and all over the place.

Rewarding mediocrity with a top 10, 12, 14 etc is not the way to go about it. Reward should be given to the teams who were the most consistent throughout the season
IMO the top 5 was the fairest and most worthy system, but we wont go back there as the revenue drop couldnt be accepted by the AFL.

The system is fine as it is.

If you reduce the number of teams there will be too many teams playing for nothing for most of the season. The current system gives a huge advantage to the top 4 anyway.

The top 5 was good in a 12 team competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we will never have a top 6 or top 5 again, so no point even going there.

Under a top 12 format, if the 12th best team can beat the 5th ranked team, then the 1st ranked team, then the 2nd ranked team, then the 3rd ranked team, they deserve the premiership.

Under the current system the top 4's advantage is too great. Another alternative would be to have the current top 8, but the winner of 5v8 and 6v7 gets the home ground advantage week 2.

Why stop at 12?

While you're at it, just have an 18 team finals series to really even it all up so everyone has the same percentage chance of playing finals footy.

Well we will never have a top 6 or top 5 again, so no point even going there.

Under a top 12 format, if the 12th best team can beat the 5th ranked team, then the 1st ranked team, then the 2nd ranked team, then the 3rd ranked team, they deserve the premiership.

Under the current system the top 4's advantage is too great. Another alternative would be to have the current top 8, but the winner of 5v8 and 6v7 gets the home ground advantage week 2.

its time to stop.

An extra two games and all cut throat.

Top 4 get the first week off as a reward.

From week 2 everyone is in the same boat - no extra weeks break for any team, win three games you win the Grand Final!

Highest ranked winner gets the lowest ranked winner.

Home ground advantage naturally goes to the highest ranked team.

Grand Final always at the MCG.

Week 1
5 v 12
6 v 11
7 v 10
8 v 9

Week 2
1 v 8
2 v 7
3 v 6
4 v 5

Week 3
1 v 4
2 v 3

Week 4
1 v 2

The only reason Vlad won't go for it is that it guarantees at least two non Vic clubs would play!

Ninth jokes hey?
Points for validity: 0
Points for originality: 0
Maybe sit the next play out

Rest assured that if a top 12 was implemented, Richmond would still be 13th :D

Top 6 yes, but maybe to even out the draw give a bonus point to any team that wins against a team currently in the top 6. That way teams with hard draws get rewarded more for their efforts, and the teams that draw GWS and Melbourne twice in a season get the percentage but not the same amount of points on the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sick of the current finals format - I want a top 12!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back