Strategy Improvements for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, but key position or flanker?
I'd have said flanker, part of on ball brigade (in time)

But your call of key position is intriguing. I hadn't thought that. Very good and intriguing point.

1) KPP

We need a viable key forward and back on the park. Talls matter in finals. We ignored that at our cost.

2) Rejig the midfield

I fear Pendles time is passing. He needs a new role, and we need some slight tweaks in there to accommodate. I would pencil Pendles in down back.

3) Keep our players on the field.

Our injury recovery is the worst in the league. This just has to change.

Fix 3) and it goes a long way to assisting 1) and 2). I don't think huge on field personnel changes are required. Off field, in the high performance section an axe, a large pit and a pallet of quicklime are needed.
Richmond managed without a tall set up in 2017, it definitely seemed that way yesterday though. I still reckon with smarter and more daring ball use we would have been more damaging. They were out at sea when we moved it quickly and directly...

Are you looking forward to my 2019 fashion tips as well re?
Gimp mate can you sort out our cheer squad? Club has a lot to answer for! Our banner people especially, they were just wearing oversized whatever cheap ebay merch they can get their hands on, west coasts banner volunteers all had matching jackets and looked pretty smart. Sort 'em out and give them the gimp treatment.

Last edited:
McLarty isn’t the answer next year we are in a window now.

May is a must get for me.
Mclarty is third year on the list, goes hard can play multiple positions and is a real unit enforcer type. Yes In an ideal world we’d get Lynch and May and be done with it, but that ain’t gonna happen. I’d rather get Josh Kelly next year to be honest, great midfielders make good forwards great.

Mclarty is third year on the list, goes hard can play multiple positions and is a real unit enforcer type. Yes In an ideal world we’d get Lynch and May and be done with it, but that ain’t gonna happen. I’d rather get Josh Kelly next year to be honest, great midfielders make good forwards great.
Isn’t Kelly contracted?

At best McLarty would have 24 games under his belt if we made a grand final. Sorry but how many 24 game key backs win flags.

May is available if he elects pies he will get here

Brayden Sier- now knows what it takes to play senior football and expect him to work harder over the preseason so that he has the capacity to play 4 quarters and work better in transition. Wills could partner him on ball...

Come on mate, seriously? Wills is finished and is a dud. Big body yes, but slow, butchers it, and VFL player at best

Rupe is good depth, and should develop further, but there was a stark difference in ability apparent to me on watching he and Sier share the midfield minutes in the VFL.

I think Moore plays forward/Ruck with Cox as a permanent full-forward.

Develop/trial Mclarty as the KPD we need.

Would chase Jake Neade from port.
Would chase Sam Frost from Dees.
Would chase one of the WCE reserve key talls. They’re acquiring a few talls over this trade period. So we could take a few of their young players.

Greenwood delist.
Oxley delist.
Smith delist.

Delist Greenwood but get Neade? Come on mate. Neade is worse than Nahas. He is a twig, gets pushed off too easily, and for his lack of strength , is not the quickest player going around

Continued development into young players. Need Elliott fit so Stephenson can move up to a Wing. N.Murphy and Quaynor important that they come good Hopefully provide that run off half back. Goldy and Howe arent key backs. Must keep Moore and play at CHF ahead of Mihocek. Must recruit May.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t Kelly contracted?

At best McLarty would have 24 games under his belt if we made a grand final. Sorry but how many 24 game key backs win flags.

May is available if he elects pies he will get here
I thought Kelly was contracted until end of next season?

Not saying it’s ideal, but neither is trading a first and second rounder for May. Hard to say really, we drafted Mclarty with a high pick so at some point we should at least give him a game. I trust that the footy department will make the right choice

Gimp mate can you sort out our chear squad? Club has a lot to answer for! Our banner people especially, they were just wearing oversized whatever cheap ebay merch they can get their hands on, west coasts banner volunteers all had matching jackets and looked pretty smart. Sort 'em out and give them the gimp treatment.
At least they can spell Cheersquad

For quite a while now I have seen the number 19 everywhere. So much so it's freaky. I'm talking over a year now. On restaurant tables, number plates, our address that we accidentally found when i was supposed to go to another inspection..unit 5 number 14. When michelle payne won the melbourne cup on number 19 after we moved in. etc. When I sat down at the ground yesterday I was absolutely freaked out that our seat numbers were 9 and 10. We didn't buy or choose them, the tickets were free. I'm hoping like hell our year is 2019. I'm only 32 so I haven't seen as much misery as most. I have never waited 30+ years for a premiership with 10 grand final losses in between. I want more but I am aware that I have barely even scratched the surface for heartbreak that some of you have faced.

Here's hoping next year at this time we are celebrating . I have a good feeling about this team, we just need a key defender and as much as it sucks now this group is destined for huge things. I can feel it.Go pies. 2019

At least they can spell Cheersquad

Seems like i'm not the only one, it's two words. I get a little dyslexic at times I'll admit. The club should give them a uniform and reunite with the cheer squad as I know they've had their differences. For one of the biggest clubs in the comp we should be looking after them and making them look unified though. Weagles looked much better.

It sounds like some people want to cut half the list, when we missed out on the flag by 1 kick. Had we gotten that extra goal, would the narrative be the same?

I try to never attack fellow magpie fans, but those calling to move on anyone who played on Saturday have a very poor understanding of football IMO.

As for frequently injured players like Elliott, our club has always had a policy of sticking by these guys. The lack of loyalty on this board does my head in sometimes.

#sidebyside

It sounds like some people want to cut half the list, when we missed out on the flag by 1 kick. Had we gotten that extra goal, would the narrative be the same?

I try to never attack fellow magpie fans, but those calling to move on anyone who played on Saturday have a very poor understanding of football IMO.

As for frequently injured players like Elliott, our club has always had a policy of sticking by these guys. The lack of loyalty on this board does my head in sometimes.

#sidebyside
Honestly I’m seeing more of these posts than posts of people actually wanting to gut the list.

Yeah you wouldn’t be taking too much of an axe to the list.
- Blair
- Oxley
- Smith
- Wills

I’d look at a trade involving picks to get a KPD and then look at how we can improve in our forward structure. We were one of the best scoring teams in the Comp with our even spread, you need to play to your strengths not shy away from them.

Our deficit has been in controlling big forwards. Losing Dunn and Shaz and Moore was woeful, once they get fit we’ll be better for it. Someone mentioned Findlayson from GWS?

But the list is young and healthy with some experienced players who can keep going - Sidney, Pendles, Sack and Dunn for at least another 2 years. Then we have a lot of mid-tier players who are only going to get fitter/stronger each pre season.

Murphy as a HBF to allow Aish to have more midfield time?

Window is open for the next 2 to 3 years and even longer me thinks...

So I would get Jarred Roughhead to help boost the forward line. He would help spread the talks away from Cox. And he can also kick to the small forwards well.

Get a big tall... Sure Moore, Reid and May are available but need someone else next to Howe who can contest the top defensive 50 aerial balls.... Pies biggest weakness since 2010 has been That air delivery at the defensive 50 (for Pies)... Always looks like the Pies are skiing uphill... They need someone like McGovern... But someone more likeable

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Improvements for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back