In hindsight, what will be you enduring memories from last years Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester City, Western Sydney W
i was thinking today what are the memories i will always remember...
For me what stands out is the vision of Bomber Thompson before the game as he sat down in the coaches box, u could tell he was a bit nervous...Ill also remember Mooney kicking the opening goal, nathan Abletts two in a row in the second term which sealed the game...Chappmans mark, and ill never forget the final few seconds...then the sight matty scarlett jumping up and down at the final siren...and finally i wont forget bombers and harleys speech...especially when Harley yelled out WE ARE GEELONG!

i was thinking today what are the memories i will always remember...
For me what stands out is the vision of Bomber Thompson before the game as he sat down in the coaches box, u could tell he was a bit nervous...Ill also remember Mooney kicking the opening goal, nathan Abletts two in a row in the second term which sealed the game...Chappmans mark, and ill never forget the final few seconds...then the sight matty scarlett jumping up and down at the final siren...and finally i wont forget bombers and harleys speech...especially when Harley yelled out WE ARE GEELONG!

Haha, sad but true that the game was iced in the 2nd!

chappy's mark, nathans one hander that was so resemblent of ablett senior, junior spoiling the kick in and running into an open goal and his reaction, otto's chase down, mooney standing on the fence with the cup, stokes coming back on after hurting his knee, rooke demolishing some port player at the first bounce, the whole game.

Rooke's tackle.
Otten's chasedown.
Jimmy's sledgehammer snap goal in the first quarter.
Moons icing the game after half time - the first goal was when I finally could accept we were home.
Our team's grace and poise greeting the kids presenting them with our medals.
Harley's "We are Geelong!"

Shattering 44 years of handbag taunts and frustration.

Memories...I've got a few.

We had 'standing room only' tickets, so we got there early to try and get up close. Standing for about two hours straight, and then standing for the duration of the game... my legs were so sore.

bout half way through the third quarter, my mate chuckled, just had a look around the ground, shook his head, chuckled again. that is the vision that has stuck in my head.. dont know why.

the final siren going and there was a bit of man-on-man hugging going on.

seeing the players getting their medals is a blur, seeing mackie walk past with the cup is as clear as day, walking out of the ground and its a bit of a blur till I walked past a pub near Fed Square, shake this strangers hand and I said 'see you in this same spot, same time next year' and we agreed to meet right there again, if we do go onto wint he flag.

No idea who it was, but it would be awesome if he remembers, if we win the flag.

If i forget any of it, i'll happily sit down watch the season highlights and all finals on DVD.

Surely that will jolt the memory of actually being at all finals and most of the seasons games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty.

• The passage of play that led, and included, Jimmy's snap in the 1st quarter
  • Chappy's screamer
  • Scarlo streaming out of the back 50 and setting up yet another play through the middle
  • Otto's chase down of Pettigrew - inspirational!
  • Billy at the end of the game
Plenty more where those come from but these probably stick out the most.

Gotta agree with a few others. Otto's chase down and tackle of pettigrew sticks out for me. I turned to my Brother and said "We've got this." He told me to shut up as it was too early. I said nope the the trophy's ours mate.
Our other brother passed away earlier in the year before the season started. I said before the season started we were a moral to win the flag as it was just his luck to endure 44 years of frustration (indispersed by some fantastic moments). So we shed a tear or two for him,(then necked a few hundred cold frothhy's, or so it seemed). I'll bet there were alot of other Cat fan family's who had loved one's that just missed out on the joy, spare a thought for them.
Hope that didn't sound to woosy
Go Cats

wow so many its hard to remember them all, I couldnt go to the game but i stayed at home with a few mates, who were geelong mad.

On the day its hard for me to remember because i started drinking at 10:30 in the morning. I got an sms from my cousin to wake me up saying "we've got this", i remember laying there thinking, geez ive got a good feeling about today.

I went nuts when otto chased down Pettigrew, threw my half full beer into the ceiling which sprayed everywhere lol.

Nathan abletts one hander in the second was just magic.
Stevey J's third almost brought the house down.

I wasn't convinced we had it won until early in the 3rd, because i was always thinking in the back of my mind that they were going to come back. But when moons kicked that beauty from 45m out on the tight angle i thought this is it, no stopping us now.

And i also remember having tears in my eyes when the siren went :D

I remember about half way through the third quarter, looking across at the boys I was with and the mad grins just start to widen on their faces. The looks on their faces was magic. We knew we couldn't say anything, couldn't say we had it out loud until it was over, but we all knew. I felt like letting out a huge maniac laugh but just giggled for the rest of the quarter. :p Last quarter was all singing and crying.

Gotta agree with a few others. Otto's chase down and tackle of pettigrew sticks out for me. I turned to my Brother and said "We've got this." He told me to shut up as it was too early. I said nope the the trophy's ours mate.
Our other brother passed away earlier in the year before the season started. I said before the season started we were a moral to win the flag as it was just his luck to endure 44 years of frustration (indispersed by some fantastic moments). So we shed a tear or two for him,(then necked a few hundred cold frothhy's, or so it seemed). I'll bet there were alot of other Cat fan family's who had loved one's that just missed out on the joy, spare a thought for them.
Hope that didn't sound to woosy
Go Cats

Top story mate,

I also had a close friend of the family who passed away to cancer at the young age of 26 and couldnt be there with me to see the cats bring home the cup, i was pretty emotional on the day as i had always gone to the footy with him because he was the one who first got my mum to buy me a membership at age 8 in 1989 and took me to the footy every week. He was 6 years older than me but the cats made us inseperable and i always felt grateful to him for having me tag along.
We went to all 4 Grand Finals together and shared the heartache, Grand Final day 2007 was the happiest day of my life but several times during the day i paused and thought of him and how much he would be loving the fact we were going to be premiers.

There was plenty of unforgettable highlights throughout the day and Jimmys goal in the first quarter got me out of my seat and pumped like never before, i was shaking. But the instance i knew we were going to raise the cup and end the 44 year drought was when Cam goaled straight after half time, i thought we were going to win at half time and was just trying to contain myself but when the boys came out firing after the break i could sense a flogging and that exactly what our boys delivered.

I was so excited in the second half that i held the tears back but when Bomber and Harls lifted the cup above their heads the emotions got the better of me,id spent nearly 20 years going to the footy hoping that one day id to see that moment and being there made it even sweeter.

-The Jimmy goal.
-Otto chase down.
-Chappy's mark.
-Ablett one hander.
-Byrnes getting around two Port players before falling over.
-Rooke's tackle.
-"We are Geelong".
-Fed square after.
-Me and my brother crying like girls.

once we got 50 points in front I remember saying "there's no way they'll let this slip now"

Max Rooke's tackle really stuck out in my mind but probably the thing I really remember is Chad Cornes being tackled over and over again and then the ironic look on his face when he laid a tackle on Mackie in the last and gave away a free.

After the game seeing Brian Cook and Frank Costa congratulate each other gave me the feeling that the 2 are really close and hopefully means the partnership won't be broken anytime soon.

I loved Ottens chasedown . What a team lifter .. I knew then we were really focused on winning this one.
Gazza's goal in the first quater when he pinched the ball from Port .. i went nuts.
Chappys mark, Rookes big tackle, Jonno, Scarlett & co downback mopping up everything....to many memories.

I also found it funny when cornes gave away that 50 right at the end to give mackie his first, mack went to pat him on the back to give him shit but was like "oops. no..no i better not do that"
haha
always makes me giggle

I thought that when chapman chipped to johnson in the first quarter and he ran in and kicked his second that we were definately on, and thats prolly my bigest memory. Actually most of that first quarter stands out in my mind coz i relaxed a little bit after that, especially once we got it over 35 pts.
Wonder what will be our memories at the end of this year?

Sitting next to mum who has been a Geelong supporter since the 1950s. She went to every game in 1963, but missed out on getting tickets to the big one.

Has basically gone to every game for nearly 50 years. But was so nervous before the game, we had to pile her with champagne in the car park just to get her to walk (stumble!!!) into the ground.

Half way through the third quarter, i think it was when Chappy kicked a goal straight from the centre bounce, she looked up at me and had tears streaming down her cheeks. I just wrapped my arms around her.

Personally, for me the moment that stands out most of all on the field was right at the end of the Third quarter where Chappy went the spoil deep in the Port forward line and Stokes barged his way through about 4 Port forwards to get knock the ball to Jimmy, who kicked the perfect weighted ball which cleared Port fingertips by milimetres to Selwood who found Mooney for a goal.

Like watching the Harlem Globetrotters that bit. The last quarter was a complete blur. Just kept on waiting for the siren.

A great memory for me...

"Slapsy Maxxy!"

Great lead up to that goal that demonstrated why we became premiers... hunger for the footy. Linga put his head over the ball while Burgoyne went for the man. Ling got possession, and got it to Max, who slotted it beautifully.

It was that moment, as Max crossed his fingers towards the sky, that tingles went down my spine and a tear came to my eye.
What a day!

Oh yeah, and nothing will beat, "We are Geelong" shouted by our captain. That is the enduring memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight, what will be you enduring memories from last years Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back