Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

They had a great finals series and deserve the flag.
Going to be interesting to see how they back it up.
Unfortunately it only enforces my view that we were injuries away from a Flag this year, we don't lose Holmes, we win the prelim and the Flag.
Luck, we didn't have it this year.
Shorter pre season next season and tough fixture, gonna be tough. What injuries are you talking about ? Brisbane had multiple season ending injuries and the big O missed the GF . They deserved the GF. don’t sook it cat fans . And yes I can use sook on this forum as that what the moderators do …..they condone it….

What did we throw away?

We push the eventual premiers all the way in the prelim, a game we finished with a few players under injury clouds who may well not have been lining up today - both Holmes & Bruhn spent more than half of the third quarter last week on the bench with the trainers and it was likely a toss of the coin as to whom would be subbed out between those two, and doubtful either play today

Then don't forget that Stanley could barely stand at the end of the match

So we bring in SDK to ruck, Tuohy likely back into the 23 and then who else are we bringing in? Is it Clohesy or Knevitt to make their finals debut in a GF, or maybe Cam Guthrie to return after no senior football for over 4 months

Last week's loss sucks, but we would have been far from full strength today with our midfield taking even more hits than it has during the season - Sydney may have succumbed to Brisbane, but it could well have been us succumbing to Sydney if we limped over the line last week. Especially with the 23 we likely would have been fielding
Shit post!
Do better next time!
And yes moderators have used the exact same wording
, so you condone it!

I have defended BT in the past , but he had a shocker today

And as others have said , the icing on the cake was the Dennis Pagan bit . and Pagan played in a GF for North as well as coaching them to flags

Right at 3qtr time i think it was when he made that blunder re Dennis , if Kerry Packer was still about and Ch Nine had the AFL football rights , Packer would have picked up that Gold Phone , and said to his producer , get rid of that idiot .

Shorter pre season next season and tough fixture, gonna be tough. What injuries are you talking about ? Brisbane had multiple season ending injuries and the big O missed the GF . They deserved the GF. don’t sook it cat fans . And yes I can use sook on this forum as that what the moderators do …..they condone it….

Holmes was the biggest, when we lost him it completely changed the game, he continues playing without incident, finishes BOG by a mile and we walk into the GF by 7/8 goals (as it was 5 goals when he went down).
Also had Bruhn dealing with a hip injury, Danger with ribs from the knee from behind, Jenry did his ankle and Stanley was seriously injured late.
I don't care about season ending injuries to fringe/easily covered players, I was talking about how we were clearly accounting for the lions until Holmes went down and we lost all control through the middle. That injury likely cost us a GF birth, and looking at how insipid the Swans were we would have easily accounted for them, again.
Of course it's the butterfly effect, who knows what actually happens when you change 1 small detail, but still it's something to muse over.

Holmes was the biggest, when we lost him it completely changed the game, he continues playing without incident, finishes BOG by a mile and we walk into the GF by 7/8 goals (as it was 5 goals when he went down).
Also had Bruhn dealing with a hip injury, Danger with ribs from the knee from behind, Jenry did his ankle and Stanley was seriously injured late.
I don't care about season ending injuries to fringe/easily covered players, I was talking about how we were clearly accounting for the lions until Holmes went down and we lost all control through the middle. That injury likely cost us a GF birth, and looking at how insipid the Swans were we would have easily accounted for them, again.
Of course it's the butterfly effect, who knows what actually happens when you change 1 small detail, but still it's something to muse over.

Best not give the troll any air.

It's no more a Cats supporter than Ralphy is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Vardy - 1
Darcy Fort - 1
Darcy Cameron - 1

* still we should’ve taken him ahead of Thurlow

We probably should have but no doubt would have sulked until his contract ended then jumped ship asap.
I enjoy that he's not won anything after the way he acted though the draft process and ensured he got to where he wanted.
Might be the nicest guy in the world now, but I'll always consider him a w***er.

Whatever Sydney do GF week and pre-game has to end, just like 2022 they looked timid, clueless, skill-less, slow, sloppy, defeated.

I know repeated failures in big games, especially GF's can genuinely mess up teams and i feel like that's happened to Sydney. If they get back there again soon with this list, whoever they play will know they are fragile and mentally cooked on the big stage. Their 'stars' are just never there when the team needs them most. I have thought though for a while, that they are a good H&A team but to win a premiership you need more than just a good midfield, their forward line doesn't scare teams & their backline can be exploited, the Lions must've watched the 2022 GF during the week, because they repeated just how we dismantled them.

Rampe is the only player the Swans have who is older than 31. I'm struggling to see how they're not there or thereabouts again next year.
Maybe - but when your 3 best mids kick over 80 goals between them - is that repeatable?
Don’t rate their forwards or defenders- maybe the start to slide?

Rampe is the only player the Swans have who is older than 31. I'm struggling to see how they're not there or thereabouts again next year.
Depends really on if anyone wants a trade out, who they bring in, and the mental scarring that 2 bad GF losses has on a club. People have suggested that Longmire might step down soon, if he does over the next two years whoever they bring in might not be able to do what Scotty or McRae have done in instantly identifying a gameplan for a list that brings immediate success.
And really who, in the top 8, could the Swans have played today for an easy kill GF to undo the mental damage that 2022 caused?
Port maybe? But I doubt they beat them by much and considering Swans lost the game today in the midfield which is Ports only strength, thats not a foregone conclusion.
I don't think Sydney beat any of the Victorian clubs who made finals bar Carlton who were so injury ravaged there was no chance they make the GF anyway.

Do you remember his 2022 Grand Final call? You would not hear a more disinterested call if you tried! Dunno what was up, because I've heard his call for MMM for the qualifying final vs Collingwood and it was actually really good.

You know, for BT.
I remember so many Geelong shots at goal in 2022 that I assumed had missed, because there was no emotion from the commentary box. It was only after seeing fans and players cheering that I realised "Oh, he's actually kicked it?"

They had a great finals series and deserve the flag.
Going to be interesting to see how they back it up.
Unfortunately it only enforces my view that we were injuries away from a Flag this year, we don't lose Holmes, we win the prelim and the Flag.
Luck, we didn't have it this year.
We played a tired Lions team at the MCG for a spot in the Grand Final against a very suspect interstate team. Everything fell our way and we still managed to screw it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back