In retrospect, how goshdarned awesome was the Swans/Eagles rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get all the calls about the '05 and '06 grannies being awful? From memory, '05 was quite exciting. The finish was heart in the mouth sort of stuff.

I was overseas for the '06 final when it happened but I watched it when I got back and wasn't disappointed. Memory about that game isn't as clear but still.

I can't wait for this weekend's game. I have a feeling the Eagles will pip them due to the home ground advantage. Should be a ripper, though. :)

Sorry Sydney fans, the rivalry wasn't "goshdarned awesome" at all. Sydney were and still are a boring team to watch despite what their fans on BF think :cool:

And what makes you think we supporters of a club that is the rival of most, including yours, cares what a fan of one of the irrelevant and shitful clubs going around?

Seriously go merge with footscray.

Has anyone on bigfooty watched a sydney game this year???

No need too, the Victorian media tells them what to think and for nearly a decade its been flooding, old list and will come last.

No doubt as soon as we dare to play defensive this weekend no doubt the unfashionable term flooding will make a comeback just for a bit of retro fun. I am putting my money that west coast will perform a press and the swans doing the same thing will flood.

And what makes you think we supporters of a club that is the rival of most, including yours, cares what a fan of one of the irrelevant and shitful clubs going around?

Seriously go merge with footscray.

Rival? The only real rivalry with North is that we easily accounted for you in the '96 flag. Also, a club who relocated and has died multiple times shouldn't be telling another club to merge.

Obviously it's a rivalry based on mutual begrudging respect rather than the more traditional rivalry based on supporter interactions. But I love it. Playing the Swans is something I both look forward to and yet dread. Too hard on the ticker. And of course non-Vic grand finals are always good value for sticking it up the Vics.

I'm so glad we pissed you off so mightily. A pleasure, I can assure you.

Of course the last quarter of the 05 Semi final was so dull, wasn't it? That Nick Davis, so lacking in silky skills, split-second reflexes, even just basic football nous.
Come back to me when the Swans win 100 games plus and 3 Flags in 5 years! The pleasure was all mine.

Rival? The only real rivalry with North is that we easily accounted for you in the '96 flag. Also, a club who relocated and has died multiple times shouldn't be telling another club to merge.

Died multiple times?

Your ****en club is the reason why we almost died twice, once at the hand of a pathetic north man who was pres of the vfl and the second time when yet again North where the bitches of someone else financially and were forced to side with their pimp, carlton, to vote for us to die.

And we dont have a rivalry with North, never have and never will. Being either constantly beaten or flogged and being someone's bitches doesn't equate to a rivalry.

But thats ok Swans will be here in 5 years time, north won't and that kid is the reality and when that happens i will take a nice big banner to the footy rubbing it in and i will gracefully do a song and dance at arden st once the for lease signs go up.

Sorry Sydney fans, the rivalry wasn't "goshdarned awesome" at all. Sydney were and still are a boring team to watch despite what their fans on BF think :cool:

I'm sorry but I rivalry is between teams no one outside the respective clubs needs to give a shit about it. Example I'm sure north has rivalry with someone probably footscray I don't know nor give a shit about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh dear.

Maybe your idea of an exciting grand final is a 119 point shellacking, yes rivetting stuff.

Footy is about a dirty and gripping contest, a true lover of the game only appreciates this.
I can't comment on that, i have never seen Sydney play in a gripping contest, i have switched off well before the end result bored sh it less!

The rivalry between the two teams was great, but that's just what it was............a rivalry between those 2005-2007 'teams'......not necessarily the clubs.

It really hasn't endured, IMO. I have neutral emotions towards WCE. They're rarely on the radar over here.

If you asked me which two, three or four matches the Swans must win each season, I'd respond with NM & STK.........and the return games too.

I can't comment on that, i have never Sydney play in a gripping contest, i have switched off well before the end result bored sh it less!

But like a good little bigfooty arsehat you think you have ever right to question the way we play! How very victorian of you always makking assumptions and always getting it wrong!

So i am guessing you were bored watching us play the cats? Do you rekon we played a lock down style game brainiac?

The rivalry between the two teams was great, but that's just what it was............a rivalry between those 'teams'......not necessarily the clubs.

It really hasn't endured, IMO. I have neutral emotions towards WCE. They're rarely on the radar over here.

If you asked me which two, three or four matches the Swans must win each season, I'd say NM & STK.........and the return games.

We always beat North so that shouldnt even worry you. North is our bitches and will continue to be our bitches for a long long time.

I can't comment on that, i have never Sydney play in a gripping contest, i have switched off well before the end result bored sh it less!

So at what time did you get up and storm out of aami stadium in round 3 this year? Or did you not attend and switched off at half time...

The standard of football played in the 2011 Grand Final was several levels above the 05/06 games.

You had 2 sides with as good or if not better midfields than WC & 2 highly talented forwards dominating. Sydney's midfield would be lucky to have had 1 A Grader in it.

You dont actually believe this do you?

Cox,Judd,Cousins,Kerr,Embley,Fletcher,Braun,Stenglein vs

Jolly,Swan,Pendlebury,Ball,Thomas,Sidebottom...Wellingham??? /

Ottens,Selwood,Bartel,Kelly,Corey,Ling,Christensen,Duncan

You dont actually believe this do you?

I'd back Collingwood & Geelong's midfield on a talent base & most neutrals would.

More AA's, Brownlow winners, Norm Smith's & overall depth of talent.

So it IS about winning matches, not about playing attractive footy.

Try to sustain the inner logic of your argument for over two postings in future.
Geelong managed to do both and save the game from complete boredom back in 2007, a whole bunch of other teams decided to follow suit and the flood was dead and buried. The only bloke who has not come to grip with this reality is Ross Lyon. Paul Roos did a runner and will never return to coaching knowing that the modern game has passed his horrible game style by. I repeat watching the Swans play in 2005/06 was like watching concrete set, they achieved their first premiership, but it almost destroyed the game, they should never be forgiven.

Remove this Banner Ad

In retrospect, how goshdarned awesome was the Swans/Eagles rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back