Analysis Inexperience watch

Remove this Banner Ad

What about last week?
Last week I thought we outran Gold Coast. I finished watching the replay today and Gerard Healy's carry on about how we were struggling to run out the game really jarred with what I was seeing live at the ground.

We were 2cm shorter than the Suns on average, tomorrow we'll be basically 1cm taller than the Saints, needlessly in my view.

Last week I thought we outran Gold Coast. I finished watching the replay today and Gerard Healy's carry on about how we were struggling to run out the game really jarred with what I was seeing live at the ground.

We were 2cm shorter than the Suns on average, tomorrow we'll be basically 1cm taller than the Saints, needlessly in my view.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Whenever there’s a height differential according to posters on this board we’re at a disadvantage

I think Smith will be the sub anyway. Fagan played Fort as the sub when McStay were injured because without a tall backup our greatest risk was a tall injury.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Whenever there’s a height differential according to posters on this board we’re at a disadvantage

I think Smith will be the sub anyway. Fagan played Fort as the sub when McStay were injured because without a tall backup our greatest risk was a tall injury.
Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think having a taller team is ALWAYS a disadvantage. I just think that the way we want to play doesn't really suit that method. The kick-mark game, while it can appear relatively low risk, becomes incredibly risky when we make a skill error. That's when we have to scramble defensively, and having that extra tall, in my view, inhibits our ability to do that.

Hopefully I'm wrong. We'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think having a taller team is ALWAYS a disadvantage. I just think that the way we want to play doesn't really suit that method. The kick-mark game, while it can appear relatively low risk, becomes incredibly risky when we make a skill error. That's when we have to scramble defensively, and having that extra tall, in my view, inhibits our ability to do that.

Hopefully I'm wrong. We'll see.
I don't think we really have an extra tall tomorrow as most believe Smith will be sub.
If he is not the sub, then we do have an extra tall on the ground.
Hopefully no injuries so the sub usually comes on in the last quarter.

Our best team (season injured players excluded) is with Payne 197cm in the side.
With the team announced tomorrow i think Prior (189cm) comes out for Payne, that makes us slightly taller.

Smith (206) most likely sub tomorrow anyhow, gets omitted. In comes a small let's say Reville as the sub.
That makes us a little shorter.

We basically have our best team on the field tomorrow excluding Payne.

Gerard Healy wasn’t at the ground either so hard to take commentators like him seriously

View attachment 2072370

Brisbane GWS Giants
(0 to 10 games)22
0 to 24 games54
25 to 49 games43
50 to 99 games06
100 to 199 games96
200+ games54
Games played118.39102.61
Age25.8325.40
Height188.48187.96
Finals played7.656.04

Interactive version
Thanks for doing this each week. When we were rising off the bottom of the ladder 6/7 years ago this was religious viewing for me each week.

9 under 50 is probably too many though, even with Wilmot graduating this week

The helpful thing is the inexperience and experience is relatively evenly spread on the field. It’s not as though they’re all jammed into our forward line.

9 under 50 is probably too many though, even with Wilmot graduating this week
Agree its not ideal. But looking into finals things should improve a little:
  • Hipwood replaces Smith - lowest player jumps out
  • Ashcroft will jump into the 25+ which think is an reasonable point to show their a solid player
  • Prior/Brain are likely sub or drop out of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams in contention this year (+ the Tigers) and the number of players in 3 categories on their list.
Completely different to who actually takes to the field each week of course.

The number of players taken in the midseason draft will affect the numbers.
Three players: Brisbane
Two players: North, Pies
One player: Tigers, Eagles, Saints, Hawks, Demons, Bombers, Crows, Dogs, Blues, Port & Swans.

TeamPlayed Under 50 GamesPlayed 1 To 49 GamesYet to Debut
Swans1789
Lions24177
Port18117
Giants23185
Cats19118
Dockers23167
Dogs18135
Blues20119
Bombers17116
Hawks25196
Pies20164
Tigers26224

Teams in contention this year (+ the Tigers) and the number of players in 3 categories on their list.
Completely different to who actually takes to the field each week of course.

The number of players taken in the midseason draft will affect the numbers.
Three players: Brisbane
Two players: North, Pies
One player: Tigers, Eagles, Saints, Hawks, Demons, Bombers, Crows, Dogs, Blues, Port & Swans.

TeamPlayed Under 50 GamesPlayed 1 To 49 GamesYet to Debut
Swans1789
Lions24177
Port18117
Giants23185
Cats19118
Dockers23167
Dogs18135
Blues20119
Bombers17116
Hawks25196
Pies20164
Tigers26224
I don't understand why the first two columns have different numbers in them.

The helpful thing is the inexperience and experience is relatively evenly spread on the field. It’s not as though they’re all jammed into our forward line.
Agree but we do have a few in defense at present although Wilmot is a lock so not too bad.

Defense: Wilmot, Prior, Joyce & likely sub Brain (Payne possibly back 64 games)
Midfield/Wings: Ashcroft, Fletcher
Forward: Lohmann, Morris
Forward/Ruck: Smith (Hippy should be back 171 games).

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 10-42-50 AFLM Stats - Upcoming Games.png

Collingwood Brisbane
(0 to 10 games)11
0 to 24 games24
25 to 49 games13
50 to 99 games51
100 to 199 games910
200+ games65
Games played143.91125.57
Age27.9426.00
Height188.65188.04
Finals played9.308.00