****ing umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

One of those days was 3 or 4 weeks ago not that i like to bring up such garbage.

Yeah, I know, but my main worry is it will cost us in a huge game (like a final). The AFL really needs to take a serious look at the umpiring department at the conclusion to this season, decision-making/interpretation has been consistently bad in season 2012.

I was actually gob smacked tonight - last weeks free kick count was interesting but a lot of those were deserved as we were second to the ball or sloppy or both. I have no problem whatsoever with the free kicks the eagles got but at least be friggen consistent and pay the same ones the other way. Does my head in week in week out but tonight I truly thought that it was going to cost us the game. Was this payback for geish saying they got two decisions wrong last week, even though he failed to mention pike on hodge and they went out of there way to make sure it didn't happen again.

In 2008 we played a game-style of deliberately giving frees away to slow the opposition rebound and the free kick differential made sense. This year's differential makes no sense. And tonight was ridiculous, the umpires almost free-kicked the Eagles back into the game. The comical call on Mitchell for push in the back (resulting in a goal) was about the worst I have ever seen.

Gieschen to come out and say that the umpires communicated well to make sure they got the decisions in the right order. He won't actually comment on the in the back decision though

Terrible umpiring. The AFL really needs to review their umpiring system - Demetriou needs to open his eyes.

Umpire - "Free Kick Westcoast Daniel Kerr"
Hawthorn Player - "Why, what for??"
Umpire - "Because you almost touched him..."
Hawthorn Player - "ok"
Umpire - "Ok, that's 50..."
Daniel Kerr - "I feel scared, that guy almost touched me"

ok thats a shit narrative, but my anger at the umps has blurred my creative scriptwriting capabilities..

I thought we were actually past the worst of it. There was actually signs that the umps were finally off our case this year. But the last 2 weeks has shown that the umpires' 'Hawks play unsociable footy so we gotta crack down on them' attitude is back in full force. Just in time for finals. Wonderful.

I thought the first 3 quarters where umpired fairly well, maybe a little on WC side but i'm used to that and also one eyed. However that last quarter was disgraceful. Why is it that the umps can't put the whistle away for all of the 50/50's and only pay the real infringements? First 3 quarters where great.
Agree Dubz, dont mind letting the game go but they seemed to lose the plot in the last gifting the Eagles a couple of goals

Umpires need to get back in the background. They need to pay obvious free kicks and ignore technical ones that haven't effected the outcome of a contest. They need to be consistant for the whole year. The powers that be have fiddled with the rules so much, that now they are too hard to umpire consistantly because of their technical nature. Consistancy remains one of the biggest, and most frustrating, issues. I think the people that wrote the original rules were much smarter than the brainiacs that fiddle with them today. The original rules were simple for a reason - they could be umpired consistantly. The umpires keep stopping the game because of technical infringement interpretations, and then the AFL fiddle with rules to 'keep the game moving'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was atrocious, but for both teams. Many in the backs and highs that weren't paid. i think we did have a better run with it though.

It really wasn't bad for both teams. If you guys think you had bad umpiring last night then I under estimated how good you guys must be used to getting it.

All umpires should have their heads shaved and their finger prints removed so as to remove any identity to stop them thinking they're bigger than the game. no wonder the Brownlow is tainted when you have these flogs running the show

The thing that annoys me about umpiring is it's a crapfest all season, then suddenly, come Grand Final day, they start umpiring the way people want them to umpire all season. Sure, I understand the best three umpires are out there, but their whole manner and style seems to change. Why is that?

You need to watch the 2008 Grand Final. They made up a rule on the spot - the double downfield freekick, and gave us a shocking run of decisions all game

What is holding the ball these days? The expectation of the crowd vs what the umps are instructed to interpret are poles apart.
Lewis.. In our very first inside 50 picked up the ball was immediately tackled, took 2 steps in the tackle. Holding the ball.
Priddis was mown down on numerous occasions after carrying the ball. No free kick.

And then of course I'll go back to the Cyril tackle on Mitch Duncan.. Where the flog geischen came out and actually said it was the correct call.. Does that mean he'll come out and state the Lewis decision amongst 20 other examples last night were incorrect.

Then there's buddy! Seriously if that Mitchell decision is genuinely paid against a defender in the D50 zone, buddy is deserving of a free just about every time the ball comes to him in a marking contest!

So be it! We won and were minor premiers! But I don't remember it ever been so frustrating going to the footy because of just blatantly shite umpiring

I try to stay away from commenting on umpiring but last night was something else. It's all been said here already but we went into the main break with a 38 point lead and 4 free kicks. Turned what could possibly have been an easier last quarter in prep for next week into a hard slog for the boys.

You need to watch the 2008 Grand Final. They made up a rule on the spot - the double downfield freekick, and gave us a shocking run of decisions all game

You think I haven't seen the 2008GF? Apart from a couple of really bad decisions, I didn't think they were too bad. I'm still astounded by how Scarlett can run into Franklin going for a mark, and receive a free. That was a shocker.

Remove this Banner Ad

****ing umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back