Injury Injuries 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury List​

Jake Riccardi and Toby Bedford will use the weekend off to continue to get their bodies right for the first week of finals in a fortnight's time.

Riccardi has missed the last three games following surgery on his finger but will increase his contact work and look to pass his fitness test next week.

Bedford was a late out for Sunday’s round 24 clash with the Bulldogs in Ballarat due to calf soreness. He too will use the next two weeks to work with the high-performance team to secure his spot in the first weekend of finals footy.

Brent Daniels and Conor Stone are both expected to be available for the clash on September 7 despite also missing the round 24 clash.

Isaac Cumming made a successful return through a scrimmage match on the weekend, with Adam Kingsley confirming post-match that wingman will come into contention for next weekend’s team selection.

PlayerInjuryEstimated Return
14. [PLAYERCARD]Toby Bedford[/PLAYERCARD]
Toby Bedford
CalfTest
26. Jake Riccardi
26. Jake Riccardi
FingerTest
34. Josh Fahey
34. Josh Fahey
Foot2 weeks
40. [PLAYERCARD]Adam Kennedy[/PLAYERCARD]
Adam Kennedy
Hamstring2-3 weeks
29. Phoenix Gothard
29. Phoenix Gothard
CalfTBC
11. [PLAYERCARD]Braydon Preuss[/PLAYERCARD]
Braydon Preuss
BackSeason
24. Harry Rowston
24. Harry Rowston
BackSeason
43. Cooper Hamilton
43. Cooper Hamilton
AnkleSeason

I reckon it’ll be at least four changes for the final:
Bedford
Daniels
Ash
Cumming
Probably Ricca
Of the first 4 I’d say only question mark will be whether Bedfords calf is right to go. If so they will be straight in.

The Keeffe/Ricca decision will be interesting. Riccardi gives us a lot more offensively and gives a different look if Cads is held but Keefe has given some really good service backing up in the ruck for Briggs. Has been amazing that Briggs has only missed 1 game for the season with the should that looks cooked multiple times per game.

I think Riccardi plays and we go in at full strength.

Kingsley revealed on the AFL 360 interview that Coniglio's been battling an adductor injury which restricted his mobility. If that's the case, he shouldn't have played.

Grade 1 adductor strains take about two weeks to heal, so Coniglio should be right for Saturday week. But if it's Grade 2 or worse, forget it. We can't carry a partially injured player in a final.

Cogs’ output was particularly poor last week… 0 tackles, 32 ranking points from 19 disposals… he had next to zero impact on the game.
Not sure he should be playing in a game as contested as what this final will be.
It was almost like they played him to keep his match fitness up knowing we had 2 weeks off

Cogs’ output was particularly poor last week… 0 tackles, 32 ranking points from 19 disposals… he had next to zero impact on the game.
Not sure he should be playing in a game as contested as what this final will be.
When he went for the bump in the Giants F50, which was pi55 weak at best, instead of tackling early in the match, my immediate thought was he is not ready for first grade, let alone finals.

We don't want a repeat of 2019.

It was almost like they played him to keep his match fitness up knowing we had 2 weeks off

I think this is it. He will be right Saturday week. Even if not 100% he is still better than the 24th player coming into the side.

Seemed to play a bit of HFF against the dogs though which might have just been to manage him through. I think he is our most important mid at centre bounces. Has that zip to exit front of the stoppage. And hits targets inside 50.

I think this is it. He will be right Saturday week. Even if not 100% he is still better than the 24th player coming into the side.

Seemed to play a bit of HFF against the dogs though which might have just been to manage him through. I think he is our most important mid at centre bounces. Has that zip to exit front of the stoppage. And hits targets inside 50.
Absolutely.

When he’s fit, yes absolutely. But 50% (or more) of the game is what happens when the other team has the ball, and he’s been unable to defend effectively since the shoulder injury.
Every side has and needs those mids that attack out of the clearance and have free rein to do so without being concerned about defending. That’s all we need Cogs to do. We play Bedford (didn’t play on the weekend) in a defensive role and Tom Green isn’t exiting the contest in a hurry.

Every side has and needs those mids that attack out of the clearance and have free rein to do so without being concerned about defending.
Mate, he needs to be able to tackle if he’s going to play. The attempted bump he made last week was embarrassing. Every team in the finals has a gun midfield and ours is arguably the weakest even if they were all fit. There’s no room for passengers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, he needs to be able to tackle if he’s going to play. The attempted bump he made last week was embarrassing. Every team in the finals has a gun midfield and ours is arguably the weakest even if they were all fit. There’s no room for passengers.
He made the second highest tackles in the game against Freo.
I reckon they knew he needed game time on Saturday and played him with a slight abductor injury.
I'm very happy for him to play

You are overplaying that he can’t tackle. He isn’t a passenger, he just had a quiet game.

If they were concerned about the shoulder he would have been subbed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Injuries 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back