Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 is my last throw at the stumps with this football club who've been a let down for more than half my life. From 8-3 and 12-6 to not playing finals is the final straw. Rotten club getting what it deserves for questionable practices in the "glory days" springs to mind

Pretty frustrated right now. Thinking about all the money my family and I have put into the club and have had to endure the terrible results over the last 20 years. Looking through this year i still wasnt convinced. Every win we've had has felt like 1 quarter brilliance, then 2 quarters of average, 1 quarter trash. Standard Carlton to me. I don't know, maybe I'm just negative and have been burnt too much by this club and couldn't see us rising.

Having to watch Collingwood win 11 in a row and having to hear it from every Pies supporter i know had got me thinking, why not us? i don't believe it's just experience or injuries that have helped them but i remembered how when Eddie McGuire retired and they had installed Korda as president and the big stink their supporters made. In the end he stepped down and its looked like they made the right decision with Browne. Look at them now. Maybe I'm not remembering the situation correctly.

Anyway, I guess my point is that when we lost to Adelaide i feel like we as supporters should have made a bigger thing about it, that we won't ever turn the corner as a club because of the trash that runs it and us as supporters just accepting every decision they make. This next loss won't really do much in terms of shaking us awake. We will continue to make excuses like injuries and experience and we will just float along like we always have. Sack a coach every couple of years, make some minor changes and thats it, rinse and repeat.

Can we do the inquiry now? The real one, where we actually get rid of the board (instead of promoting a bog ordinary banker who has been part of the board through a decade of mismanagement to be president?).

Seriously what has changed? Aside from quick bounce in the first 4 weeks of the season, we've basically had the same season as the past half decade - up and down, then fall apart when it matters. Particularly when it matters... the club is filled with pea hearted mercenaries who we've overpaid for very little delivery, and any time there's a game to be won they shit the bed.

Our coaching is still horrific. Our player development is horrific. Our injury management is just horrific.

I said this in the match day thread, and I'll say it again here - our current list has on it:
  • the current coleman medal leader
  • the reigning coleman medallist
  • two all-australian calibre midfielders (both of whom have finished top 3 in the Brownlow)
  • an all-australian half-back flanker, and two other defenders who have been borderline all-australian.
  • 7 more players on the list drafted in the top 10 picks of the draft (all aged between 22 and 28) and 7 other players drafted 10-20 in the draft (all aged 20-26).
  • another group of mature aged players recruited from other clubs to 'fill gaps' - that includes highly paid free agents, role players with 100 games experienec, etc.

Those players are all in their prime age bracket, and our top 7 have missed 4 matches between them for the season. That core should be good enough to be competitive. What good teams do is find a way to get the players around their core playing well enough to support them, to develop and improve the skills of the group and put in place a strucutre that gives you a chance to compete.

And this isn't necessarily about being a top 4 team. Right now we are playing like a bottom 4 team. We got smashed last week by a bottom 4 team and we weren't even competitive against Geelong and Brisbane.

We've been waiting too long and copped too much as supporters. Surely missing the finals after starting the year 8-2 is the final indignity, and we actually start asking for some real change in terms of administration and management?

Can we do the inquiry now? The real one, where we actually get rid of the board (instead of promoting a bog ordinary banker who has been part of the board through a decade of mismanagement to be president?).

Seriously what has changed? Aside from quick bounce in the first 4 weeks of the season, we've basically had the same season as the past half decade - up and down, then fall apart when it matters. Particularly when it matters... the club is filled with pea hearted mercenaries who we've overpaid for very little delivery, and any time there's a game to be won they s**t the bed.

Our coaching is still horrific. Our player development is horrific. Our injury management is just horrific.

I said this in the match day thread, and I'll say it again here - our current list has on it:
  • the current coleman medal leader
  • the reigning coleman medallist
  • two all-australian calibre midfielders (both of whom have finished top 3 in the Brownlow)
  • an all-australian half-back flanker, and two other defenders who have been borderline all-australian.
  • 7 more players on the list drafted in the top 10 picks of the draft (all aged between 22 and 28) and 7 other players drafted 10-20 in the draft (all aged 20-26).
  • another group of mature aged players recruited from other clubs to 'fill gaps' - that includes highly paid free agents, role players with 100 games experienec, etc.

Those players are all in their prime age bracket, and our top 7 have missed 4 matches between them for the season. That core should be good enough to be competitive. What good teams do is find a way to get the players around their core playing well enough to support them, to develop and improve the skills of the group and put in place a strucutre that gives you a chance to compete.

And this isn't necessarily about being a top 4 team. Right now we are playing like a bottom 4 team. We got smashed last week by a bottom 4 team and we weren't even competitive against Geelong and Brisbane.

We've been waiting too long and copped too much as supporters. Surely missing the finals after starting the year 8-2 is the final indignity, and we actually start asking for some real change in terms of administration and management?

I don't see how missing the finals is the board's fault quite frankly

I don't see how missing the finals is the board's fault quite frankly

They bear the responsibility for running the club for the past decade. They ran the review last year that led to... ummm... exactly zero changing? They appointed Voss, a coach who frankly looks completely out of his depth.

Beyond that, you can look at a thousand things the club does poorly that reflect on the management and administration of the organisation. We are the worst run club in the AFL (perhaps with some competition from Essendon and Adelaide, but at least they've finished in the top 8 in the past decade...)

Dont bag the players ..take up the game try make it to elite level then open your trap

Sent from my moto e(7) using Tapatalk
The purpose of this thread is to encourage all venting in here, to give your opinion without sanction. Your post instead tells people to be silent, to keep unvoiced these opinions.

You cannot argue with something unsaid.

If you want to argue that people need walk in the shoes of a footballer before judging, that's absolutely an argument you could make in here. But please, don't try to shut down discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he get a lobotomy mid season? God he’s played dumb football the back half.

Such a fall from his first third of the season that if he gets suspended it won't impact the Brownlow result one bit

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I've come to realise he just can't do it for long enough. He's a 12 week player in a 23 week long season. His body just can't keep up considering the tough style of footy he tries to play.

I would trade him in a heartbeat, I've been gestating on that for a couple of years but I think it's time.

I've come to realise he just can't do it for long enough. He's a 12 week player in a 23 week long season. His body just can't keep up considering the tough style of footy he tries to play.

I would trade him in a heartbeat, I've been gestating on that for a couple of years but I think it's time.
I actually thought this thread was being sarcastic, but I just realised you are actually serious. 12 week player….you do realise he won an AFLPA MVP a few years ago? And most commentators were rating him the best player in the league a month and a half ago? got 41 possessions last week….yeah that was a terrible effort. Only averaging 28 possessions and a goal every game for the second half of the season.

with this type of thinking, you would fit in well for a job in north melbournes list management dept

I actually thought this thread was being sarcastic, but I just realised you are actually serious. 12 week player….you do realise he won an AFLPA MVP a few years ago? And most commentators were rating him the best player in the league a month and a half ago? got 41 possessions last week….yeah that was a terrible effort. Only averaging 28 possessions and a goal every game for the second half of the season.

with this type of thinking, you would fit in well for a job in north melbournes list management dept
How long ago has he won the AFLPA MVP? The game has changed in 3 years. He hasn't kept up.

40 touches and only 14 pressure acts.. aka he's not defending.

Averaging 28 touches? 11 of those are kicks and he goes at 55% kicking efficiency...so 5-6 effective kicks in 2 hours of football for an elite midfielder? Something doesn't add up..

Sack Voss at the end of this season and bring in Clarkson. Simple solution.

Yeah nah

Vossy should have his contact extended in fact.

Club needs stability, not another needless knee-jerk coaching sacking.

At the time, still would have given Teague another season.

This obsession/mindset from a certain starch % of our supporter base in sacking the coach after q couple of disappointing losses In a row grinds my gears.

It's a simplistic and naive way of thinking, and probably a bit of delusional/denial/stubborn refusal ro acknowledge we currently do not have a playing list or culture capable of winning a flag.

Vossy will get us back playing finals and into the top 4 eventually

It is bitterly disappointing we crumbled after an 8-2 start to the season, but some patience and pragmatic, calm and rational/non emotional thinking and planning is required from everyone at the footy club, from the President and the Board through to the supporters.

The purpose of this thread is to encourage all venting in here, to give your opinion without sanction. Your post instead tells people to be silent, to keep unvoiced these opinions.

You cannot argue with something unsaid.

If you want to argue that people need walk in the shoes of a footballer before judging, that's absolutely an argument you could make in here. But please, don't try to shut down discussion.
I actually think this is a great idea regarding thread. Let’s people vent. But for the life of me
I just can’t seem to vent when this is clearly vent thread time
Am I really this broken ?

everything has to be safe now, no head clashes, no fights pfft. I was to watch footy that’s gone the other way. Give the players weapons. If someone gets shanked in a marking contest so be it. See who really want to win.
Happy Excuse Me GIF

ah stats, zero context - aint they wonderful

The Adelaide loss was the one for me. That was dead set limp lettuce stuff. We should've torched them. And now we are cast adrift potentially at the mercy of other results. We're not beating the dees. I just cannot see how we get it done. They will smash us. It sets the pies up to put the nail in our coffin. However, I think the pies game can potentially be the win of the season. Finals or not a win there would have us skipping off into the off season regardless of a finals appearance.

But SOMETHING has to give mentally with our lot. We have been psyched out of games and the fluffing about in the Brisbane game with dinky nothing handballs was the prime example. Setters just hand balling nowhere. Hit and hope sort of stuff. Cmon. Where's the purpose and leadership?!?

This is the perfect setup for Vossy IMO. He has the steely resolve and mental toughness the players need to adopt.
ON the field he was the ultimate bull and leader. I'm hoping he can get the message across to the players. I hope he's eyeballing the players like an animal and reminding them of what's at stake.

And now Cripps is gone? Bugger me. Was a bit soft but rules are rules and he'll be a goner.

Think there's one positive left to play out for us. I Don't wanna be right in predicting a 9-10 finish at the start of the season.
Lift boys. Bleed for that jumper like u never have......

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

Back