Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

Need somewhere to vent. We won't get close with Voss to a premiership. The only coaches I can think of that failed at one club and were successful at another in this AFL age and that was malthouse and blight in the 90s. In the last 24 years no coach has failed at one club and were successful at another.

I desperately want to be wrong about us for once in my life. I hate feeling so negatively about us.
Malthouse did a good job with bugger all resources at Footscray, including getting them to a prelim.

Blight got the cats to 3 grand finals.

Both were recognised as good coaches going to their 2nd jobs.

Voss didn't show anything at Brisbane to suggest he was a good coach. Jury is still out with what he has done with us whether he is any good or not.

I want to know why other sides don't need rests and we do, why other sides don't have injuries every first term for a month and a half, why other sides do not need their best 22 on the field every week, yet we seem to.

It's not the hope that kills you. It's the expectation. You grow some familiarity towards how the side plays, what you can expect them to do or how they'll perform or respond. Now, we still do some of the things we did when our footy was decent, but it's so much more work than it was before. All of it's laboured, nothing's easy and then whelp, it's another perrenially injured player done in the first ****ing term in a game we needed to win to secure top 2/secure top 4/get a home final/even ****ing make finals.

No-one said it was going to be easy, but it doesn't seem to be this hard for everyone else.

Hopefully we might pull something out of the bag here, but seeing that this is the thread for venting i may as well avail of it!

Sacking the coach is not some magic bullet solution to our problems, but a part of me is saying is there any point in persisting with Vossy if he's the wrong man for the job?

I have every confidence that Brian Cook will make the correct moves at the end of the year. Last year was a flash in the pan sadly.

The abject version of Carlton that we've known since 2002 is still alive and well.

Hopefully we might pull something out of the bag here, but seeing that this is the thread for venting i may as well avail of it!

Sacking the coach is not some magic bullet solution to our problems, but a part of me is saying is there any point in persisting with Vossy if he's the wrong man for the job?

I have every confidence that Brian Cook will make the correct moves at the end of the year. Last year was a flash in the pan sadly.

The abject version of Carlton that we've known since 2002 is still alive and well sadly.
My brother made the point that Melbourne in 2018 made a prelim off the back of pressure and A graders but struggled badly in subsequent years. He intimated that there was something similar going on with us, and we just had to maintain the rage. Continuity and continuous list regeneration - remember, Cook flagged that they're not done with the list build just yet as late as earlier this year - will see the role players replaced with footballers, some of the older slower players filtered out for younger, faster ones.

... until I pointed out to him that unlike Melbourne, unless we beat all of Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon every year, the only way to ensure continuity of coach and club is to make finals. We - unlike Melbourne - could credibly turf out coach, CEO and development - despite trending in the right direction and continuity being pivotal - purely because we are at all times a poor loss to one of those three clubs away from burning the club down.

Next year it will be 30 years... 30 years...
I am so glad many still are supporting the Blues, but my heart...
I have had a bad week with other things, and today has just stuck a great big fork in the heart...
If you ever need to talk, shoot me (or some of the others) a PM.

There's also this thread:

Hope you're okay, Rev.

If you ever need to talk, shoot me (or some of the others) a PM.

There's also this thread:

Hope you're okay, Rev.
Thanks. In the big picture I'm fine. But there's been a death of someone I know (older person, but a beautiful soul), and then some various other stuff, and now the reality it'll be at least 30 years between premierships for CFC (and right now it looks longer).
Life is about the good and bad, and sometimes the bad stuff just comes in clumps and we have those 'bad news weeks'. Last week was one of those, with the full stop being the sorry Hawks game. But in the big picture I'm OK. Thanks all.

We will not finish in top 8- no finals- perhaps no Voss for the following season. Pathetic performances of late.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will not finish in top 8- no finals- perhaps no Voss for the following season. Pathetic performances of late.

I moved your post from the Bluemour No Discussion thread as that thread is only for rumours, not general discussion. Also removed the post your quoted as it has no relevance to what you posted.

Your first post. Welcome. We hope you'll be a valuable member of the community.

Ha Johnny what you doing nah not Vossy the players are weak minded they believed they already were premiers with the hype. They had achieved nothing but 1 Year in final they forget their 23 games and finals. They all play like the Hollywood stars. They should bring Tony Lockett, Mark Jackson, Jonathan Brown and get some players hardened up have a Boxing fight in a ring.

Ha Johnny what you doing nah not Vossy the players are weak minded they believed they already were premiers with the hype. They had achieved nothing but 1 Year in final they forget their 23 games and finals. They all play like the Hollywood stars. They should bring Tony Lockett, Mark Jackson, Jonathan Brown and get some players hardened up have a Boxing fight in a ring.

Yeah nah, not going to the dinosaur days. We'll figure it out in a more modern and productive way.

Mark Jackson .... struth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s been painfully obvious that our game style is so taxing, it’d be a miracle if we could sustain it over a season.

AFL is ridiculously hard on the players as it is, let alone relying on a game plan that requires you to be more brutal than the oppo most weeks.

Not surprised we’ve fallen over. And I don’t blame the players at all.

Thanks. In the big picture I'm fine. But there's been a death of someone I know (older person, but a beautiful soul), and then some various other stuff, and now the reality it'll be at least 30 years between premierships for CFC (and right now it looks longer).
Life is about the good and bad, and sometimes the bad stuff just comes in clumps and we have those 'bad news weeks'. Last week was one of those, with the full stop being the sorry Hawks game. But in the big picture I'm OK. Thanks all.
Loading Hug GIF by MOODMAN

2022. 12 wins 10 losses
2023. 13 wins 09 losses and 1 draw
2024. 12 wins 09 losses with two games to go.

When a side is rebuilding, I get the hole, development isn’t linear, but we aren’t rebuilding, the team isn’t young, inexperienced and the coach isn’t new.

Our teams ability to limit the opposition scoring has been a disaster all year, the worst it’s been under Voss since he started, how he has turned us from a team who’s hard to score against, to one of the easiest is a joke.

We have consistently done something each year under Voss and that’s go on some great losing runs

2022. 12 wins 10 losses
2023. 13 wins 09 losses and 1 draw
2024. 12 wins 09 losses with two games to go.

When a side is rebuilding, I get the hole, development isn’t linear, but we aren’t rebuilding, the team isn’t young, inexperienced and the coach isn’t new.

Our teams ability to limit the opposition scoring has been a disaster all year, the worst it’s been under Voss since he started, how he has turned us from a team who’s hard to score against, to one of the easiest is a joke.

We have consistently done something each year under Voss and that’s go on some great losing runs
Pretty stagnant since Voss took over.

12/13 wins per year is a club just outside top 8

This club is in the worst kind of spot. We can all see the talent there and know that at their best they are capable of anything. This is why I have zero faith that the club will make the tough decisions to make the necessary moves for us to win. There is a clear optimism bias simply because we have seen some evidence of incredible football in patches which clouds how awful we are at times. We have had some amazing "one quarter of devastating football" games this year in the context of some pretty turgid performances. The Port Adelaide game was a recent example where our 2nd quarter was breathtakingly good at times followed by an insipid second half. Good football teams are consistent, sometimes at the expense of playing less dynamic football.

The problems are numerous: we're poorly coached, we have mismanaged injuries, our match committee continue to reward players with minimal actual impact on games, and our players are severely lacking in football intelligence.

Barring an influx of the best assistants in the game who can construct a decent game plan for him, and have integrity at selection, I have zero faith in Voss at the helm. He looks like a guy who watched Season 1 of Ted Lasso and figured he'd have a crack. I don't think he understands how far behind his peers he is. Yesterday was a microcosm of his deficiencies against well-coached teams with lesser talents. Sides have got a clear blueprint on how to beat us and the flaws in our game plan and our coaches seem powerless to change it. The worst thing is (and I would love to be proven wrong), the club isn't going to do anything meaningful about it.

This club is in the worst kind of spot. We can all see the talent there and know that at their best they are capable of anything. This is why I have zero faith that the club will make the tough decisions to make the necessary moves for us to win. There is a clear optimism bias simply because we have seen some evidence of incredible football in patches which clouds how awful we are at times. We have had some amazing "one quarter of devastating football" games this year in the context of some pretty turgid performances. The Port Adelaide game was a recent example where our 2nd quarter was breathtakingly good at times followed by an insipid second half. Good football teams are consistent, sometimes at the expense of playing less dynamic football.

The problems are numerous: we're poorly coached, we have mismanaged injuries, our match committee continue to reward players with minimal actual impact on games, and our players are severely lacking in football intelligence.

Barring an influx of the best assistants in the game who can construct a decent game plan for him, and have integrity at selection, I have zero faith in Voss at the helm. He looks like a guy who watched Season 1 of Ted Lasso and figured he'd have a crack. I don't think he understands how far behind his peers he is. Yesterday was a microcosm of his deficiencies against well-coached teams with lesser talents. Sides have got a clear blueprint on how to beat us and the flaws in our game plan and our coaches seem powerless to change it. The worst thing is (and I would love to be proven wrong), the club isn't going to do anything meaningful about it.
Club will be cautious 100%... they now have Russell "retiring" and finding his replacement and fixing that department as their focus and cause of our possible problems.

With Sayers having 1 more season and his personal "dilemmas", will he want to rock the boat? Don't think so, if it doesn't work out he'll let the next president sort it out.

Cook is too measured and stubborn and will stick fat till it's 100% non redeemable, but he's no spring chicken either and probably would rather have faith then re-start with him being closer to retirement than not.

Most likely if the form continues as is early next season, the political in-fighting will rear its head again.

Club will be cautious 100%... they now have Russell "retiring" and finding his replacement and fixing that department as their focus and cause of our possible problems.

With Sayers having 1 more season and his personal "dilemmas", will he want to rock the boat? Don't think so, if it doesn't work out he'll let the next president sort it out.

Cook is too measured and stubborn and will stick fat till it's 100% non redeemable, but he's no spring chicken either and probably would rather have faith then re-start with him being closer to retirement than not.

Most likely if the form continues as is early next season, the political in-fighting will rear its head again.
I agree that will be the course they chart. I just think we're going to waste some generational talent in the process. My real fear is that we peaked with this group making a prelim last year and it will take them 2-3 years to realise it. Russell needed to go, but I just fear it will stop there and incremental change isn't enough.

I walk away from most games thinking we're a team of dumb footballers with equally stupid coaches. Tons of athletic talent that will allow you to be the mid-ladder side we are, but no clue how to win football games in a sustainable, professional way.

Well, now that it's over.

I don't remember if I said it on here, but I remember saying at the beginning of the year that I wasn't sure if we'd play finals this season. To me, we had not really gained overmuch from trading; the only player of note we got in was Lij, and while I had reasonable hopes they were tempered by our record with players from the northern expansion clubs. Our key competition, though, had all achieved something either through trading or drafting that was to be envied. You need an edge to make finals, something over your opposition; in 2023, our edge was that we were unexpected and brutal around the ball, unexpectedly precise, varied and quick behind the ball (between Gov, Kemp, Saad, Boyd and Newman, we had a lot of intercepting and a lot of different means to exit back 50) and we had Charlie ahead of the footy. This season was always going to see sides work us out some, and this team has never been hunted before.

IMO, we pulled off some wins we potentially shouldn't have in the middle of the year due to injury forcing innovation. Playing Williams ahead of the footy and Cincotta as a front half tagger were completely unexpected; that they worked and worked swimmingly for a month indicates that the approach taken there was sustainable. It shocked a number of fairly decent opposition, and it allowed players like Kennedy to bob up ahead of the ball and kick goals from set shots; so concerned with the flashier player in Williams that the opponents flocked to him and ignored Kennedy and Cinc to their detriment.

So, that means because my expectations were low and we did something that unexpectedly came off, I'm happy?

**** no, I'm not. I'm as confused as I am frustrated. We were fresh off belting Geelong with a different system than the one we used last year - full of pace and dare and dash - and we chose to go super tall against GWS. We choose to forget Cinc as a forward half tagger, despite him kicked something like 6 goals in three weeks. We choose to abandon what worked in favour of the older system, the one that was no longer unexpected. And ****ing behold, Kingsley figures out that the weak point is Kemp, the makeshift second tall behind the ball because Gov cannot be trusted to mind a man and Young was stuck in a doldrums of his own manufacture. Plonk Hogan on him, and watch the birdie! That a younger, smaller player can get exposed by decent opposition should not be any surprise. The problem is that Voss had zero confidence in Young or to change his structure any to try and help. Play an extra behind the ball outside of 6-6-6. Play Young or Sam Durdin or ****ing shift Charlie - who could not ****ing run - behind the footy. We're only so bereft of KPD options because you refuse to play your second, Michael.

My question is this: we have seen, between 2023 and 2024, that our coaching setup can innovate when provided definitive evidence that something isn't working. Young in 2023 wasn't working, the back half was simply too slow at rebounding the ball; Young for Kemp as a makeshift defender and spring the ball out of D50 as quick as you can by Boyd, Gov or Saad, while using Newman as playmaker led to some scintillating rebound 50's and quite a few goals. Smalls in Durdin and Motts not working; plonk Williams down there with Cincotta playing a role while Fogarty plays high half forward, and watch as the more complicated arrangement fits like a glove to the rest of the front half game.

If the coaches can innovate when something isn't working and they discover something that does, why did they ****ing change it back???

Reeks of tinkering. Tinkering for tinkering's sake. Tinkering to get closer to an intellectual idealised version of the way we play. Ignoring that when something works you do your best to understand it but you do not **** with it unnecessarily. Deliberately going into games in order to prove a point ahead of win the game.

It makes me curious about the messaging from the box, and from the board behind the scenes: what expectations were this year, and what did the coaches do to meet them? KPI's? Who's exceeding their benchmarks, and who's ****ing around?

I'd settle for just knowing why we went away from Cinc as a defensive forward. If I were told just that, I could leave the other mysteries alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

Back