Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

Finding it very interesting how a section of the supporter group have once again turned on the coach, assistants, Austin and many players during this lean patch

More concerning is some of the misinformation and or contradictory statements circulating

Really looking forward to reviewing this end of season

Finding it very interesting how a section of the supporter group have once again turned on the coach, assistants, Austin and many players during this lean patch

More concerning is some of the misinformation and or contradictory statements circulating

Really looking forward to reviewing this end of season
Exactly. Very few were having these discussions a month ago

Exactly. Very few were having these discussions a month ago

There was no need to… we were flying.

Results dictate these discussions. We have gone from best in the comp to bottom 4 in a month. This needs to be analysed and discussed. That’s 4 weeks of football. Not a quarter.

Results dictate these discussions. We have gone from best in the comp to bottom 4 in a month. This needs to be analysed and discussed. That’s 4 weeks of football. Not a quarter.

I think it's great that discussions are robust with each phase, consistency of one's views also helpful

Process dictates this discussion. No point reacting emotionally to this, cause it’ll just be whatever individuals believe in the moment

I think it's great that discussions are robust with each phase, consistency of one's views also helpful

Pommy on Blue Abroad has pointed out some really questionable decisions from the coaching box. I think we need to attract some more support for Voss, who is known to be a good leader but not great tactically. I struggle to see anyone on our panel who is highly regarded. Hopefully Brian Cook looks into this over the next few months.

Pommy on Blue Abroad has pointed out some really questionable decisions from the coaching box. I think we need to attract some more support for Voss, who is known to be a good leader but not great tactically. I struggle to see anyone on our panel who is highly regarded. Hopefully Brian Cook looks into this over the next few months.

Plenty had this view midway through last year, completely disappeared by the end of the year. I was looking forward to those robust debates, but people were either unwilling or just disappeared

On the weekend, I was questioning some of the tactics, but I also understand why they were made

Personally, we should have locked in a mantra of style a few weeks ago, now, it will be a challenge

With the likelihood of a better calibre of player returning this week, I think we will get our best indication yet

If Pommy can see it - who was brought up with his main jam not being AFL (and I respect his opinion) - then I certainly hope Cook can see it. 😬

Last edited:
I have seen this mentioned mentioned a number of times that Voss is a great leader/motivator but not great tactically.

I would have thought the prime requirement for an AFL coach would be to be a great tactician.

Had this exact conversation after the game on Friday. It's clear he's great and building bonds with the boys and getting everyone to buy in but he definitely needs to improve tactically.

Doesn't seem to have much of a Plan B when things aren't going our way and it looks like opposition clubs have figured us out.

Also seems slow to react on game day, a recent example is Bailey Dale doing as he pleased for 2 and a half quarters before we did anything about it.

If we rely on Voss for tactics we’re in trouble.

He is a great of the game and probably a good motivator

It’s The assistants that need to have good stratetgies…

I haven’t seen Anything from hamill to suggest he is any good.

I’m not sure about our midfield coach.

Hansen might be our best in this regard but our f50 entries were really poor for a while…improved some what and now not so good again. Walsh seems to be one of the main culprits.

Also Charlie not providing a lead is still a head scratcher…is Hansen Voss talking to him about this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This old chestnut again

Sure, might be valid to be critical of Voss as he would have the final say on gameplan, selection, tactics, etc

But how can anyone assess the strengths and weaknesses of assistants

Takes me back to what was happening mid season last year, that we needed to sack every, single coach

I’ve seen North and West Coast fans saying they need to poach some of our assistants after this season. Other teams fans seem to think we have decent coaches

Wasn't Hansen supposed to have good tactical nous?

Think the problem is the difference between being unexpected and having no counter to having now a season and a half of footage to analyse and having other coaches contribute to the legwork, coupled with injuries piling up.

I also think the midfield line coach is entirely too one dimensional: win the tap, hit it to Cripps/Hewitt, clear it by hand to Walsh or Elijah, gun forward. Outside of that it's 'get it forward however you can', whether TDK tapping it to space and running onto it or shoving it on the boot without looking. I question how often our midfield setup completely falls apart.

But then, our coaches have frequently played games with positions and tactics before. Why you'd do it to the tune of four consecutive losses is beyond me a bit, but has anyone noticed our stoppage setups changing over the course of the season?

Watched the last qtr of port again
Charlie could have had a free few mins in, then their free against Newman didn't help
We went long to f50 and Alir kept marking
Cotters sent one long to fog of all people
Crippa could have sent a short one to CC but opted long and was marked.
Then HF got off the leash as well for that easy mark and that cheap goal that hit the ump, punch it through guys and kill the play.
All in all players just doing dumb things. And so many fumbles throughout. We are best at getting our hands on ball at clearances first but crap at getting it outside lately. So many times you see that in Fridays game. They attacked, broke our play and then sliced through us repeatedly. We kept fumbling.
Looking for excuses, no. Players need to harden the **** up and deliver. It's that time of the year and premierships aren't easy. Too many half arsed efforts and intensity was light. Coach and Austin, I am not sure. But get the team switched on as they are a bunch of primadonnas. Our biggest one seemed to be our best on the night and was very glad Charlie provided options and went away from standing and trying to outmark his defender

Plenty of questions being asked about why we are in a lean patch, but most seem negatively rhetorical and repetitive

Coaches, selection, gameplan, intent, etc

Haven't seen much of viable suggestions of how it should be addressed
Or even a discussion about being something as simple as we are just out of form. A lot of explanations seem to be based in a deep seated conspiracy

Need somewhere to vent. We won't get close with Voss to a premiership. The only coaches I can think of that failed at one club and were successful at another in this AFL age and that was malthouse and blight in the 90s. In the last 24 years no coach has failed at one club and were successful at another.

I desperately want to be wrong about us for once in my life. I hate feeling so negatively about us.

I wish we got the type of calls forward that Mason Cox did tonight.

Dodgy AF free kicks.

Marks paid that the two closest umpires refused to call.

Those alone cost us 3 goals in a game that was decided by less than a kick yet Curnow and McKay were scragged off the ball all night and couldn't even get a single call

It's absolute horse shit but it's consistent with Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

Back