Inside Footy Draft Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Out today at all newsagents.

Write ups on the top 150 rated players in this years draft as well as a first round phantom draft. Some interesting selections.....

Plus review/previews on all 16 clubs and what lies in store for 2009.

Sorry for the obvious and indiscriminate plug but there is plenty in there for all the draft buffs!

will try to post the IF phantom draft later on.....

Get MySelf a Copy Tommorow - How Much

It will be interesting to see how close the mocks are. From memory they weren't very close last year and I get the feeling it could be similar this year. Hill at 3 - I know it has been bandied about but I can't for the life of me see it happening.

Don't normally purchase Inside Footy, but typically get the draft special. Will pick mine up over the weekend.

I just read it in the Supermarket but I will get the Draft Special Tonight or Tommorow and How much is is People?

Here is the Phantom first round as compiled by Brett Anderson....

1. MELBOURNE – Jack Watts
Melbourne has so many areas of need but none more than the need for a genuine key forward. Watts will still have to complete Year 12 next year but has been dubbed by Barry Richardson as the best junior player he has seen. Watts is the type of player you can build a team around. Pure quality.

2. WEST COAST – Nicholas Naitanui
West Coast don’t seem to have a glaring need for another ruckman but Mark Seaby has stagnated over recent years and Naitanui has the greatest scope for development of anyone in the draft. Daniel Rich would be a safer pick but Naitanui could be anything. He is the definition of a boom or bust pick.

3. FREMANTLE – Stephen Hill
The real wildcard pick. Most would have Daniel Rich in this position but he is very much like Rhys Palmer so the Dockers go for the outside runner with the silky skills to complement Palmer. Hill’s stocks have rising remarkably after a great display at the Draft Camp.

4. PORT ADELAIDE – Daniel Rich
Port’s decision will change the rest of the first round markedly. They have a dilemma with Rich still available as they have a huge need for a quality young ruckman. Rich’s kicking penetration is something that the Power has lacked since the departure of Stuart Dew and he is a ready-made player.

5. ESSENDON – Hamish Hartlett
Chris Yarran was the pick heading into trade week but the failure to offload Andrew Lovett has changed the Bombers minds. With Dustin Fletcher on his last legs and Mal Michael already gone Hurley will be very tempting here, but ultimately the Bombers will take the best available midfielder in Hartlett.

6. CARLTON – Michael Hurley
Carlton has put together quite a young talented midfield via recent drafts and now its time to look to another area of concern, a quality key defender. Hurley is a ready-made player with excellent foot skills and smarts and will release Jarrad Waite to play elsewhere. The Blues also like Yarran but their need for a strong-bodied key defender is too great to overlook.

7. BRISBANE – Jack Ziebell
The Lions will toss us between Ziebell and Tom Swift but Voss’ influence will see them go with the player whose playing style closely resembles that of his new coach. Ziebell has a strong body and has the versatility of being able to play any position on the field and can step in straight away and contribute.

8. RICHMOND – Tyrone Vickery
The Tigers will be rapt that Port overlooked Vickery at pick four. Troy Simmonds will be 30 this year and Adam Pattison hasn’t quite made the grade as yet so Vickery, who is the best natural ruckman in the draft, is the ideal pick for Terry Wallace’s exciting young side.

9. NORTH MELBOURNE – Lewis Johnston
North’s major need is for a goalkicking midfielder, like a Steele Sidebottom, to help replace the retired Shannon Grant but the talk is very strong that they will take Johnston and look to play him at centre half back. This pick may not be popular with Roos fans but Johnston will be a good player.

10. ADELAIDE –Jackson Trengove
The Crows love both Trengove and Shaun McKernan, so it’s a toss up between the two. Matt Rendell will take the best available player and that is Trengove who many rate as a top 5 pick. He has had a few knee issues but can play in the ruck, as a key defender or even up forward as has a real aggressive streak about him.

11. COLLINGWOOD – Tom Swift
Collingwood has spent the recent drafts concentrating on building their spine so now its time to turn their attention to the midfield with the recent retirements of Buckley, Burns and Licuria. There are three names on the Pies list; Swift, Sidebottom and Beams. They go with Swift who was a standout under-16 but has missed two years of footy with knee injuries.

12. SYDNEY – Nick Suban
Most wouldn’t have Suban going this high but with North taking Johnston the Swans are left with the dilemma of taking the next best key position player or a ready made midfielder. They have liked Suban for a while and he fits the Swans mould of having a strong body as well as a penetrating left foot.

13. ST KILDA – Chris Yarran
Genuine pace is the main area of need for St Kilda but they have somewhat addressed that by trading for Farren Ray plus the likely arrival of Ben Cousins. This allows them to take the best available player and that is Yarran. He is a match winner who can turn games in the blink of an eye and will provide the Saints with a real x-factor. Steal of the draft.

14. WESTERN BULLDOGS – Ayce Cordy (F/S)
The Bulldogs nearly got away with what would have been the steal of the draft, only for St Kilda to keep them honest. Whichever way you look at it the Dogs are getting a very good player. At 202cm and 80kg, he will take time to develop, but the overall package will be worth the wait.

15. GEELONG – Shaun McKernan
Geelong doesn’t have too many glaring needs to they can just draft the best available player and give them time to develop. They have been keen on Swift for quite a while but with him already gone they will add another ruckman to push Mark Blake. McKernan is highly rated amongst the recruiting fraternity due to his competiveness and ability to play anywhere on the ground.

16. HAWTHORN – Phil Davis
There is only so long that Stephen Gilham and co. can keep punching above their weight. Trent Croad’s foot may just be more serious than many think so Phil Davis is the obvious choice here. He is a natural defender who missed most of this year with a shoulder injury. If they decide that they can wait till later on to find a key back, Sam Blease is the pick.

You will find that last year's issue came out two weeks earlier so that would be one of the main reason why the mock drafts were a bit off. A lot can change in a few weeks!

Quigley, Hill at #3 to Freo will happen.

and....

Ben Casanelia's Top 10
INSIDE FOOTBALL’S TOP 10
1. MELBOURNE – Jack Watts
Class key forward with enormous upside.
2. WEST COAST – Nicholas Naitanui
Freak athlete who needs to work on skills and decision making. Local product.
3. FREMANTLE – Daniel Rich
In mould of Rhys Palmer but infinitely better kick.
4. PORT ADELAIDE – Tyrone Vickery
Must plan for life after Lade and Brogan and Vickery is best pure ruckman in draft.
5. ESSENDON – Jack Ziebell
Has versatility to play onball or half forward. Oozes class and is tough.
6. CARLTON – Michael Hurley
In desperate need of a key defender and Hurley is a Melbourne boy.
7. BRISBANE – Hamish Hartlett
Suddenly needs to reshape its midfield and Hartlett is as skilful as they come.
8. RICHMOND – Shaun McKernan
Younger brother of Corey. Much the same sort of player.
9. NORTH MELBOURNE – Stephen Hill
Onballer with a raking left foot kick. Light but wins contested footy.
10. ADELAIDE – Jackson Trengrove
A key forward with brilliant athleticism and a more than a bit of mongrel.

^^^^

Love our Pick and I doubt Beams would be in the Thinking for Pick 11, Could get him at Pick 29

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies to the Freo fans but only Freo would be stupid enough to take Hill over Rich.

I certainly would be very happy if the Lions ended up with Ziebell when it was all said and done but not nearly so if we got Hartlett. No mention of Yarran to the Lions which was the early mail from a few people with their ear to the ground.

It would be great if one of Sidebottom or Blease slid to WC at Pick 18, add Walters at 20 and we're set.

Interesting Sydney would go Suban with 11 when they clearly lack KPP.

3. FREMANTLE – Stephen Hill
The real wildcard pick. Most would have Daniel Rich in this position but he is very much like Rhys Palmer so the Dockers go for the outside runner with the silky skills to complement Palmer. Hill’s stocks have rising remarkably after a great display at the Draft Camp.

Did anyone else think this reasoning was odd though? Palmer and Rich are not all that similar except for the fact that they both play in the middle and can win a bit of the ball. Palmer's disposal is not fantastic but likes to get forward. Probably plays outside a bit more but is very capable inside. Rich has a cannon of a leg, great disposal and probably when he settles will be a bit more of an inside player who can run outside. He will also play a bit deeper and deliver into 50 more than carry it into there. And since when did teams only want one gun midfielder?

I also thought Freo are more likely to have a few more of the Hill type than of the Palmer type. They seem to be loaded with lean runners from half back.

I don't buy for one instant that because they have Palmer that selecting Rich wouldn't suit Freo. Since when is the midfield just one position? I'm sure that they could find room for both Palmer and Rich in their 8-10 player midfield rotation.

Rich is a much better footballer than Hill. Fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Footy Draft Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Back