Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Shuey and OA getting likes in the HS.

6 Luke Shuey at the death — again
He demolished Adelaide in the final quarter in Round 10 and repeated the dose against Hawthorn. His final quarter numbers were 15 disposals, seven contested possessions, six clearances and 313m gained. That is huge and he did it mainly against Liam Shiels, Jaeger O’Meara and James Worpel. What makes Shuey stand out against other midfielders is that he’s ultra damaging with the pill and with his speed. And the return of Nic Naitanui should make him even more dangerous. They combined five times against the Hawks (tap to player). The league leaders, Todd Goldstein-Cunnington, are averaging 3.5 times.

9 Oscar Allen is Nick Riewoldt
Guest commentator on Fox Footy, Shaun Higgins, was spot-on when he said, before the final-quarter slog at the MCG on Saturday, that the match would be decided by moments. There were plenty to swing the momentum, but none better than Allen’s mark. In a combative contest where every player expected body contact, Allen ran back with the flight of the ball to take what should be strongly considered for Mark of the Year. Appropriately, Riewoldt was also commentating at the time.

They were questioning Chris Scott and John Longmire on AFL360 last night on weather it
would be fair if the Geelong got a home final at the Cattery if they finish top 2.

Scott said he thinks it would be fair. Then unprompted said "speaking of fair, it was a travesty that they
(AFL) locked in the grand final at the MCG for the next 40 years.

Unsurprisingly, Horse backed him up saying "it's a national comp isn't it!".

Robbo backed them up but it was just crickets from Gerard.

Gerard knows who pays the bills now he hasn't got ABC protection.

Speaking of Gerard and who foots the bills, I do find it a little odd how hard he is going on the score review system when his own mob at Fox Footy could rectify most of his gripes with better cameras. He keeps squaring blame at AFL house but in the examples he shows its so inconclusive because of the camera quality. AFL are making a meal of it but look at what they have to work with..

Speaking of Gerard and who foots the bills, I do find it a little odd how hard he is going on the score review system when his own mob at Fox Footy could rectify most of his gripes with better cameras. He keeps squaring blame at AFL house but in the examples he shows its so inconclusive because of the camera quality. AFL are making a meal of it but look at what they have to work with..
I differ on this. This falls in the AFL's hands IMO. The Broadcasters are there to broadcast. The AFL are there to adjudicate the league. It's up to them to have appropriate technology at the grounds.

I differ on this. This falls in the AFL's hands IMO. The Broadcasters are there to broadcast. The AFL are there to adjudicate the league. It's up to them to have appropriate technology at the grounds.

The AFL are adjudicating the league with the broadcasters cameras 🤔 Who takes responsibility for upgrading the cameras? We're worlds away from 4K footy, but Fox film the V8 Supercars in 4K. I wonder how that deal was struck.

I'm guessing one significant factor is that if they're going to implement high-speed, high-res cameras they would need to do it for every game in order to be fair. The expense of that would be pretty huge compared to covering one event.

The AFL are adjudicating the league with the broadcasters cameras 🤔 Who takes responsibility for upgrading the cameras? We're worlds away from 4K footy, but Fox film the V8 Supercars in 4K. I wonder how that deal was struck.
It's not a resolution thing, it's a fps thing. They simply don't have the frames in general play to be able to judge accurately.

I'm guessing one significant factor is that if they're going to implement high-speed, high-res cameras they would need to do it for every game in order to be fair. The expense of that would be pretty huge compared to covering one event.

Yeah the cost would be significant. But I wonder did Foxtel invest anything after winning the rights to so many games in the recent agreement? Do they upgrade their cameras each season anyway? Or is it the type of thing where you buy cameras once every 5 years so there's this false economy of heavy investment once and then decent profits thereafter..

I have no idea. I don't have the answers, I'm simply questioning why Gerard is losing his mind over this when he works for the broadcaster who captures all the inconclusive footage and why he isn't proposing a solution.

Everyone is quick to find faults but its a rare few who offer the solution to the problem.

I don't know either, but (1) I remember how slow the general takeup of HD cameras was by all broadcasters, and (2) broadcast-quality cameras would be very expensive and I'm sure they'd be looked at as a long-life piece of equipment. Combine that with Foxtel constantly haemorrhaging money and subscribers, and I'd be thinking that the league itself would need to be footing the bill for any upgrade like this.

the solution to the problem
The AFL needs to take responsibility for the game's adjudication. Every other league administrative body has regulations for technology that needs to be in place, and in many cases are responsible for the provision of said technology.

The current situation is typical of the AFL half-assing something.

Titus O'Reily's take on our game.

Hawthorn (71) v West Coast (77)
It was a miserable day weather wise at the MCG, and for the Hawthorn Football Club.
It capped off a week where Jeff Kennett claimed the AFL has a “deliberate” schedule bias against his club. He tweeted ‘“We do not complain! Just suffer in silence! And financially.’
It’s typical of Jeff, always suffering in silence and keeping his thoughts to himself in the most public way possible. It must be hard having to have a bad schedule. Never happens to any other club.
West Coast welcomed back Nic Naitanui, but it seemed they were going to drop this one as the Hawks, who had struggled early, came back to lead in the fourth quarter.
It was Jack Darling who dragged the Eagles across the line with five goals, while Luke Shuey’s 39 possessions, with 20 of them contested, showed he loves the MCG.
In fact, all the Eagles seem to love the MCG, where they’ve now won their last five games.
Does it depress me that the Eagles have won as many games at the MCG as Melbourne has this season? Yes. Yes, it does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latest BACKchat podcast is funny as hell. All throughout they are testing new nicknames for Tom Barrass and hes all chill and such. Until he gets called 'Placid Pup.' Suffice to say that one got a reaction.

Last edited:
From today's The Tackle

3. Return of the King

The Eagles loom large, as does ruckman Nic Naitanui. If the Eagles can hold on to second spot, they will play at least one and probably more home finals. It makes for a strong argument that they are the premiership favourites. To watch Naitanui on Saturday night was like watching a bolt of lighting — he simply energises his football team. In their two matches with Naitanui back in the team, the Eagles have won the clearances by 25 against the Hawks and 17 against the Dockers. That’s plus-42 in clearances — and Naitanui played just 50 per cent of the game. It remains to be seen if coach Adam Simpson will go with both Naitanui and Tom Hickey come September. Two ruckmen worked over the Pies in last year’s Grand Final. I reckon he will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back