News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...arley-reid-back-pages-c-14651054#coral_thread

"When it comes to criticism, I say bring it on. Love it or hate it, I want to hear what you have to say. This is football. This is entertainment. Let’s all enjoy it and have our say."

Strange, comments are not switched on this article.......His just trolling now
He's a freo nuffie trying to stir up controversy, make west coast fans look bad and push Reid out of WA. The guys a w***er

What factors would you attribute to the decline in Journalism ?

Is it the internet and the $ per click mentality driving editorial direction ?
Is it society ?
media sell advertising for profit, for this they need an audience. plenty of dummies out their gullible enough to watch the Kardashians of example. a trash rag should easy to peddle.

Is it society ?
The decline of the newspaper was created by the immediacy of news on the internet, which led to the even greater rise of partisan reporting or clickbait stories to try and break through the noise. But as they made less money, they also shed more staff, which means they simply don't have the people to generate anything that actually qualifies as news.

What's quicker and easier, speaking to lots of different people, analysing strategies, weighing up trends etc, or sitting around a table and thinking what 'hilarious' cartoon' you can turn Harley Reid into today, which leaves you free for the rest of the day to watch the game on TV and fire off a quick report?

Is it society ?
Google AdSense.

Traditional media cant afford as many or any proper journos these days, advertising revenue for them has gone off a cliff.

Good on Shaun Mcmanus calling him out but I think more people in the media need to go single him out and go after him.
Link?
Ok just saw it, seemed to just dribble on and not address it.
Agreed, need some to really call the guy out, he's pushing and pushing Reid constantly, I get it HR seems to be handling it but you just never know what could snap, the kids so young.

Last edited:
You shouldn’t receive death threats for being bad at your job. That’s simply too far. Agreed? Agreed.

Now, this kid from the Harvey Waroona Reporter who’s been promoted so far above his station because his bosses know he’ll jump as high as they tell him to. If he can’t look himself in the mirror and see that the rapidly declining standard of, trust in, and interest for the West Australian is a direct result of their approach (not just in Sports) under new management, he’s more out of his depth than he looks.

The act is wearing thinner by the minute and he knows it. His peers are sick of it. The general public have had enough. There’s no journalism being done here, no interest in a subject or inquisitive thinking. Just a sad running joke that nobody is laughing at…and now that’s the joke. Don’t you get it? It’s funny because so many people don’t find it funny. Get it!?

They don’t sell. They don’t make money. Their share price has halved since the new brass came in. All they can do is generate outrage clicks, and even that is now clearly not going as well as it once was.

When he gets reasoned criticism, he blanks it. Will Schofield wrote a lengthy article about how he saw this type of attention destroy Nic Nat, and the impact it has inside a footy club. “I disagreed with everything he wrote” says Jakeb, a nobody from the country who is clearly better placed to say how these things land than Nic Nat.

When he gets impassioned criticism, he stokes the fire. I saw screenshots last night where he will straight up respond with “wah wah wah”, absolutely loving the outrage bait because all clicks are worth the same.

When he gets criticism that goes too far, he writes a sob story. And then a story about the reaction to that story. And then a story about another journos reaction to that story. And then…

The general rule of journalism is don’t make yourself the story. We’ve gone so far beyond that, an inside joke holding an entire state’s sports coverage hostage, and we’re now at the writing stories about stories about stories circular content farming crap.

Don’t tell him he’s a ******* (he is). Don’t retweet it to dunk on it. Just block and ignore the campaigners. They’ve got no interest in reflecting on their behaviour, and they’ve got an unlimited supply of nuffies waiting to tell them how ****ed it is. Just block him and move on.

Is the full interview with The idiot and the Nova team.

Warning: you'll lose brain cells listening to this.

Last edited:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...arley-reid-back-pages-c-14651054#coral_thread

"When it comes to criticism, I say bring it on. Love it or hate it, I want to hear what you have to say. This is football. This is entertainment. Let’s all enjoy it and have our say."

Strange, comments are not switched on this article.......His just trolling now
Comments were switched on initially (I commented among many others). About 95% of comments told him to stop harassing Harley. now the comments are invisible and switch off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You shouldn’t receive death threats for being bad at your job. That’s simply too far. Agreed? Agreed.

Now, this kid from the Harvey Waroona Reporter who’s been promoted so far above his station because his bosses know he’ll jump as high as they tell him to. If he can’t look himself in the mirror and see that the rapidly declining standard of, trust in, and interest for the West Australian is a direct result of their approach (not just in Sports) under new management, he’s more out of his depth than he looks.

The act is wearing thinner by the minute and he knows it. His peers are sick of it. The general public have had enough. There’s no journalism being done here, no interest in a subject or inquisitive thinking. Just a sad running joke that nobody is laughing at…and now that’s the joke. Don’t you get it? It’s funny because so many people don’t find it funny. Get it!?

They don’t sell. They don’t make money. Their share price has halved since the new brass came in. All they can do is generate outrage clicks, and even that is now clearly not going as well as it once was.

When he gets reasoned criticism, he blanks it. Will Schofield wrote a lengthy article about how he saw this type of attention destroy Nic Nat, and the impact it has inside a footy club. “I disagreed with everything he wrote” says Jakeb, a nobody from the country who is clearly better placed to say how these things land than Nic Nat.

When he gets impassioned criticism, he stokes the fire. I saw screenshots last night where he will straight up respond with “wah wah wah”, absolutely loving the outrage bait because all clicks are worth the same.

When he gets criticism that goes too far, he writes a sob story. And then a story about the reaction to that story. And then a story about another journos reaction to that story. And then…

The general rule of journalism is don’t make yourself the story. We’ve gone so far beyond that, an inside joke holding an entire state’s sports coverage hostage, and we’re now at the writing stories about stories about stories circular content farming crap.

Don’t tell him he’s a ******* (he is). Don’t retweet it to dunk on it. Just block and ignore the campaigners. They’ve got no interest in reflecting on their behaviour, and they’ve got an unlimited supply of nuffies waiting to tell them how ****ed it is. Just block him and move on.
Cane Kornes Skule Off Jernalissim?

Well, with Longy officially out for the season i'd love to see him still active and around the joint.
Have him do the spots on Coast to Coast in place of or with Allen.
Get the lad in the coaches box to be a sponge on game day.

Have him do more 1 on 1 chats like when he did this one with Reid.

TBF if you took the motoring guide out of the Harvey Reporter it was legit like two pages so I don't doubt he will do whatever he needs to if it keeps him in his role at The West.

Significantly more discussion than the campaigner is worth, tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back