Purple_Passion

All Australian
May 24, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Bromwich Albion
"FREMANTLE will need to find a way to sustain its defensive pressure when the interchange cap of 120 rotations per game is introduced in 2014.
The Dockers averaged the most interchanges per game during 2013, topping the table with 146 per game."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-01/interchange-cap-could-be-an-issue-for-fremantle

I believe that the new interchange cap has resulted in us targeting and recruiting players like Sylvia. As noted in the article we average the most interchanges per game (146), 26 above next years cap.

Sylvia is a strong bodied player that can rotate between half forward and the midfield. His ability to rotate and play multiple positions is a bonus. Next year, instead of interchanging the likes of Fyfe, Mundy, Sylvia can be used to give them chop outs for 5 - 10 mins in the half forward line. Sylvia is a strong, quality clearance player and I believe he will be a great addition to our team.

Other small tweaks to reduce our cap: I don't think we will see our forwards getting a break after kicking a goal.

Do you guys think we need to make any other tweaks to our game plan - in the face of these new interchange caps.

The ability of most of our mids to go either halfback or half forward is a massive bonus.

i dont think to many of our back-line can push into the midfield though, so the main bonus is pushing Forward.
I think we'll see lots more of Walters and Ballas near the ball (1 at a time) D. Pearce slipping forward for them at times.
Sylvia could be part of that rotation or the bigger bodies in Mundy, Fyfe and Barlow.
Will mean that players missing pre-season will do more work to come back, and Mora will likely play as a sub 3-4 times instead of 1-2 before being best 21, same with all blokes pushing who have not played much time at top level. Jon Marsh and Mora would work beatifully for us if we got both on the park, rotating forward and Midfield, with Barlow/Mundy/Fyfe/Sylvia rotation also on Half-Forward line, as well as Walters/Ballas/D.Pearce/Suban.

Not sure if we can sustain our defensive pressure with rotations capped at 120. But I guess that depends on the endurance levels of the players but most of them seem to have pretty big tanks. I wonder if Ross might tinker with game plan next year..

Not sure if we can sustain our defensive pressure with rotations capped at 120. But I guess that depends on the endurance levels of the players but most of them seem to have pretty big tanks. I wonder if Ross might tinker with game plan next year..

Ross mentioned on 6pr he plans to change the game plan to "Give a little up, to get a little more" - which to me means we are going to be more attacking even if that results in conceding an extra 2 - 3 goals per game.

Our gameplan is also exhausting for our opposition and after matches they often look like they are going to collapse from constantly trying to find space, pick up loose balls and general competing with our players so I don't think the cap will have a severe impact.

i dont think to many of our back-line can push into the midfield though, so the main bonus is pushing Forward.

Maybe not as inside mids, but Duffield, Mzungu, Clancee, Sutcliffe, Suban, Hill and PearceD can all play wing and HBF. Mundy spent a few years in the backline too. Plenty of scope for rotation.

The cap will help us more than it will hurt us.
It means our better players will remain on the field for longer and most our mids are very dangerous when resting up forward.

We currently go overboard with interchanges.
Will see guys sprinting 50-60metres to rotate after just 1-3mins into a quarter.
Completely unnecessary and they waste more energy sprinting that far to get off and then sprinting that far to get back in position after a 2min rest.
Instead of coming off guys like Mundy, Fyfe etc will go forward.

Yes it will hurt our pressure slightly so instead of allowing 60 points avg per game it may get up to 70.
However the bonus will be we have our better players on the ground for longer so that helps us kick an extra 10 or so points a game.

One of the few rule changes the AFL has got right.
Heck they could drop it to 100 for all I care.

Maybe not as inside mids, but Duffield, Mzungu, Clancee, Sutcliffe, Suban, Hill and PearceD can all play wing and HBF. Mundy spent a few years in the backline too. Plenty of scope for rotation.

out of all them i only see duff and Clancee as backmen, the rest Mids who rotate back.
Sutcliffe played back as well when in 22.
I dont think Duff is as good upground as he is down back and Clancee maybe a good rotation.

There is not a lot of resting to be had in the forward line with our game plan. All forwards are expected to apply manic pressure which is exhausting. This cap has me a little concerned but I have faith in Ross to come up with a solution. I have no doubt that Sylvia is being recruited in part to address this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is not a lot of resting to be had in the forward line with our game plan. All forwards are expected to apply manic pressure which is exhausting. This cap has me a little concerned but I have faith in Ross to come up with a solution. I have no doubt that Sylvia is being recruited in part to address this.

also ellis would pe part of this. Think there is still Resting Forward, it's just not RESTING. But a lot easier than midfield.

Agree.. I think our defender rest a lot more than our forwards...

Could be a case of resting down back.

Agree.. I think our defender rest a lot more than our forwards...

Could be a case of resting down back.

where do the backmen go then?? There basically all pure backmen??
FB - Duffield Dawson Spurr
HB - Johnson Mcpharlin Ibbo
Would lose a lot with any one of these guys going middle (Ibbo to a lesser extent) instead of Mundy, Fyfe or those sorts.

Would lose a lot with any one of these guys going middle (Ibbo to a lesser extent) instead of Mundy, Fyfe or those sorts.
Duffield has shown that he can play as an outside midfielder and I'm sure Ibbotson could also. Mundy and Mzungu could play across half-back at times as well.

We typically play with 7 defenders. Assuming Ibbotson comes back fit and healthy, he'll continue to rotate with MJ as the extra man. That leaves the likes of Hill, Pearce (x2), Mzungu, Duffield and others to play on the least dangerous small/medium opposition forward. Plenty of opportunity down back for a breather - particularly when we're locking the ball in our forward half as consistently as we do.

The cap will help us more than it will hurt us.
It means our better players will remain on the field for longer and most our mids are very dangerous when resting up forward.

We currently go overboard with interchanges.
Will see guys sprinting 50-60metres to rotate after just 1-3mins into a quarter.
Completely unnecessary and they waste more energy sprinting that far to get off and then sprinting that far to get back in position after a 2min rest.
Instead of coming off guys like Mundy, Fyfe etc will go forward.

Yes it will hurt our pressure slightly so instead of allowing 60 points avg per game it may get up to 70.
However the bonus will be we have our better players on the ground for longer so that helps us kick an extra 10 or so points a game.

One of the few rule changes the AFL has got right.
Heck they could drop it to 100 for all I care.
While it does seem strange they rotate after only a few minutes it is necessary to run the rotations they want as most players go between 7-9 minutes at a time before resting. If you wait too long it throws out the rotations further down the track. Helps maximise running for players while they are out there but will be interesting to see the change they make next season.

What's this talk about Menegola?.. more chance of J.Anthony coming out of retirement and winning the coleman than him getting a game in 2014

not really ... Sure doesnt seem a gem, but check the best 22 thread from last off-season, many had him in it from memory.
Wouldnt think he'll be getting near early but hopefully realises last year on Rookie List and has to play like a champ to stay in side, this motivation could push him more than the rest of the boys and he could well be knocking on the door mid next season.

Geez, based on our average it's only 25 less rotations. I think this is a non-topic. A lot of those rotations are stupid ones, like the guy who just kicked a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Interchange Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back