Interesting tactics discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo Shreds

Draftee
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are there any specific tactics you've notice teams doing this year that you've found are particularly interesting? Centre bounce setups, spare defenders, corridor play, etc.

For example, this year I've noticed that in centre bounces this year for the Bulldogs, there have been more instances of a secondary deflection to advantage by a midfielder from the tap, rather than taking possession and getting tackled. Having sharked taps for a few years, I've found this interesting as the Dogs have finally been breaking even in the ruck more and getting clean centre clearances looks. Obviously a lot of teams now do a similar thing of forward momentum from the stoppage, Richmond particularly well and this has just been one thing I've noticed. No expert here, keen to hear more from others that have been watching games closely and know a bit more.

All teams from a behind kick to the boundary side to a pack of unsuspecting players, however the viewer sees this from a mile off. Rinse and repeat.

Zac Touhy did a tactic that will revolutionise the kick ins and until now had never been seen on camera before. Do yourself a favour and YouTube it!

All teams from a behind kick to the boundary side to a pack of unsuspecting players, however the viewer sees this from a mile off. Rinse and repeat.

Zac Touhy did a tactic that will revolutionise the kick ins and until now had never been seen on camera before. Do yourself a favour and YouTube it!

That's just not true this year...the new kick in rule has greatly reduced the portion of kick ins that go towards a contest near the boundary

....and the idea the players are "unsuspecting" and the "viewer sees it from a mile off" is an inane assertion. If you think the average punter has a better idea about what's going on than the players that sit in 10hours of meetings every week I've got a bridge over a swamp to sell you

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting tactics discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back