Opinion INTERNATIONAL Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know a great deal about Politics (especially with the UK) but did I read correctly that there are 630 seats in the UK?

We have 150 in the House of Reps I think? The Senate has how many?

I get the population in the UK is much higher but 630 seems way over the top. No wonder they are packed in Question time like Sardines....

Can the more learned colleagues on here enlighten me......
Australia’s lower house of parliament has 151 seats for about 17 million at Australia’s last federal elections in 2022.
The UK there are over 47 million voter registrations for 650 seats, although voting is not compulsory in the UK. Just looking at the 650 seats. Just looking at the TV it appears only 59% turnout. Down 7.5% on the last election.

A funny thing is you don’t need to be a UK citizen to vote in an election there, as qualifying Commonwealth citizens can also vote. Australians include.

:openmouth: Just seeing Liz Truss has lost her seat.

Last edited:
Australia’s lower house of parliament has 151 seats for about 17 million at Australia’s last federal elections in 2022.
The UK there are over 47 million voter registrations for 650 seats, although voting is not compulsory in the UK. Just looking at the 650 seats. Just looking at the TV it appears only 59% turnout. Down 7.5% on the last election.

A funny thing is you don’t need to be a UK citizen to vote in an election there, as qualifying Commonwealth citizens can also vote. Australians include.

:openmouth: Just seeing Liz Truss has lost her seat.

Seat differential is amazing. If we had the same population wed have about 450 seats i guess is the comparison. But does more seats mean better politics? For as bad as we joke about the state of USA politics, The UK is every bit as much of a basket case in recent years.

Liz Truss - what a politician that was. MTG of british politics. lol

I didn't know I could register to vote in the UK. That would be interesting.

Seat differential is amazing. If we had the same population wed have about 450 seats i guess is the comparison. But does more seats mean better politics? For as bad as we joke about the state of USA politics, The UK is every bit as much of a basket case in recent years.

I assume you have to be a resident :think:

Impressive, when you compare it to the bloated orange working only 3 hours per day.😉

Trump is not a well man. Anyone who thinks otherwise, isnt watching, they are still living in his presidency.

Both candidates are not fit for office and both parties should simply do a handshake agreement, sack both and get the next candidates to battle it out while there is still time.

One thing that is almost a certainty. If Trump loses the election, every court case he faces will see the argument at sentencing that he isn't fit for jail and has all these health issues. He cant say it for the current trials because of the election. But make no mistake, the dude is seriously unwell.

Trump is not a well man. Anyone who thinks otherwise, isnt watching, they are still living in his presidency.

Both candidates are not fit for office and both parties should simply do a handshake agreement, sack both and get the next candidates to battle it out while there is still time.

One thing that is almost a certainty. If Trump loses the election, every court case he faces will see the argument at sentencing that he isn't fit for jail and has all these health issues. He cant say it for the current trials because of the election. But make no mistake, the dude is seriously unwell.
Sounds like a Sun Tzu proverb! The Art of War. ;)

Never interrupt your enemy when he is imploding.

Last edited:

You can't, assuming you aren't a UK citizen

You have to be living in the UK as a resident

I had a family memer who could vote when they were living there, can't now.

RWNJs are losing their shit at the moment because Reform didnt win as many seats as they'd hoped.

As usual, rather than accept the result we get the rage and misinformation

The Torues just picked up a seat because the 'left' vote was split.

But that's really what I was saying, this election is really just a rejection of the Tories.

NI, Wales and Scotland all really interesting
Starmer keeps saying they "changed the Labour party", a reference to moving the party right. I'm pretty sure if they had run on Corbyn's platform though, they still would have won. This was always a protest vote against the Tories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starmer keeps saying they "changed the Labour party", a reference to moving the party right. I'm pretty sure if they had run on Corbyn's platform though, they still would have won. This was always a protest vote against the Tories.
probably still have won, but Corbyn is a different cat.

Pro Russian too, so not sure how that flys with the electorate.

If The US have any brain cells left there will also be a protest vote against MAGA and all the revolting things they stand for.
There is really no point even watching that shit show until closer to the date.

Mind you did you see the Epstien files on Trump. If even partially true holy shit. Don't get me wrong, his cult will still love him anyway but pretty bad for the rest of us.

probably still have won, but Corbyn is a different cat.

Pro Russian too, so not sure how that flys with the electorate.
Yeah I didn't mean they should adopt a pro Russia stance. Just that the narrative that they needed to move the party right to win is obvious bullshit. People aren't in love with the current iteration of Labour. They just wanted to punish the Tories.

Just wait, in 5 years time it will be Labour copping the protest vote because they didn't fix anything.

Yeah I didn't mean they should adopt a pro Russia stance. Just that the narrative that they needed to move the party right to win is obvious bullshit. People aren't in love with the current iteration of Labour. They just wanted to punish the Tories.

Just wait, in 5 years time it will be Labour copping the protest vote because they didn't fix anything.
Yeah the swings and roundabouts of elections.

Watching some of the coverage they are talking about this being more of the ending of the duopoly, a bit like we have here.

Disillusioned Labor voters go Lib Dem and Tories go Reform.

I don't really see that as a bad thing, the 2 party structure seems to have lost favour.

A protest vote against the Opposition is certainly a new strategy :think:
That's pretty much what happened when Labor let Corbyn head their party.

as an ex Lib member I'll never vote for a LNP headed by Dutton. His appeal to racists, bigots and anti science type are far too much for me to take.

I'll be an independent voter agin this election

Yes, a 200+ majority shows how disillusioned people are with Labor 😂

don't take that as an endorsement of Labor or Starmer. But it's pretty obvious for all that the UK is disillusioned with 1 party in particular.

Hell even the racists are sick of the Tories not being as racist as they want and have found a new party.

Yeah the swings and roundabouts of elections.

Watching some of the coverage they are talking about this being more of the ending of the duopoly, a bit like we have here.

Disillusioned Labor voters go Lib Dem and Tories go Reform.

I don't really see that as a bad thing, the 2 party structure seems to have lost favour.
Big 24 hours for you between these posts. Disillusionment with Labour was a LOL cooker theory yesterday, now it's part of the end of the duopoly.

(Although I suspect a lot of the Lib Dem votes were where they were mathematically the best chance of unseating a Tory. Their vote % to seat conversion is a huge outlier compared to other parties with similar %, showing how concentrated their vote was in particular areas.)

Big 24 hours for you between these posts. Disillusionment with Labour was a LOL cooker theory yesterday, now it's part of the end of the duopoly.

One post was about this actual election, the other about the electoral cycle in general.

Honestly, keep up and stop trying to conflate two topics into 1.

(Although I suspect a lot of the Lib Dem votes were where they were mathematically the best chance of unseating a Tory. Their vote % to seat conversion is a huge outlier compared to other parties with similar %, showing how concentrated their vote was in particular areas.)
Email the lib dems, I'm sure they'll love the insight..

Last edited:

US President Joe Biden refuses cognitive test in defiant interview​

US President Joe Biden has rejected concerns about his age and health, denied he is on track to lose to Donald Trump and argued only “the Lord Almighty” could convince him to drop out of the election race.
More than a week after his debate disaster against the former president, the 81-year-old was dismissive and defiant in a prime-time TV interview that was supposed to reassure panicked Democrats.

Instead, it sparked further calls for the oldest president in history to quit, as party leaders planned crisis talks in the days to come.

Mr Biden maintained his debate performance was “a bad episode” rather than “any serious condition”, as he claimed he was in good health and had not become more frail.

Asked repeatedly if he would take an independent neurological exam, the President said: “I have a cognitive test every single day … Not only am I campaigning, I’m running the world.”

While he avoided any major gaffes, he said he could not remember if he had watched a replay of the debate, while losing his train of thought as he stumbled through some answers.

In the 22-minute interview with Good Morning America co-anchor George Stephanopoulos, Mr Biden flatly rejected that he was on track to lose in November, saying he did not believe the polls which uniformly have Trump leading nationally and across key battleground states.

Asked if that was a risk worth taking, he said: “I don’t think anyone’s more qualified to be president or win this race than me.”

Stephanopoulus pressed Mr Biden on whether there were any circumstances in which he would drop out of the race, including if congressional leaders would ask him to quit.

“They’re not going to do that … Yeah, I’m sure,” the President replied.

“It’s not going to happen.”

He said he would only quit if “the Lord Almightly came down and said ‘Joe, get out of the race’”. But Mr Biden added: “The Lord Almighty’s not coming down.”

The President also maintained there had been “no slipping” in his recent public appearances, despite an awkward gaffe a day earlier in which he said he was proud to have been “the first Black woman to serve with a Black president”.

Moments before the interview, Mr Biden gave a fiery speech to supporters in Wisconsin, in which he also mistakenly said of Donald Trump: “I will beat him again in 2020.”

He said millions of Americans had voted for him to be the Democratic Party’s nominee for the extraordinary election rematch against the 78-year-old Republican.

A supporter tells Joe Biden to quit during a campaign rally in Wisconsin. Picture: Saul Loeb (AFP)
“Some folks don’t seem to care who you voted for – well guess what, they’re trying to push me out of the race,” he said.

“Let me say this as clearly as I can: I’m staying in the race … I’m not letting one 90-minute debate wipe out three and a half years of work.”

As more Democrats broke ranks to call on Mr Biden to quit, Texas congressman Lloyd Doggett – the first House member to do so – said: “The need for him to step aside is more urgent tonight.”

It also emerged that respected Democratic senator Mark Warner was moving to assemble a group of colleagues to ask him to exit the presidential race, while House Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries had called for talks with senior allies on Sunday (local time).

But Mr Biden maintained to Stephanopoulos that all Democratic leaders he had spoken to over the past week had told him to “stay in the race”.

A top party official told US news outlet Axios: “The only thing that can really allay concerns is for the president to demonstrate that he’s capable of running this campaign.”

“Everything else feels like ‘Weekend at Bernie’s’ by his inner circle to prop him up,” the official said.

MOMENT THAT SHOWED TIME’S UP FOR BIDEN

If Joe Biden’s intent in the ABC interview was to show the American people that the debate was just a ‘bad night’ due to him being exhausted and unwell, he failed, Dr Louise Mahler, expert in communication and body language said.

While he opened with a “big smile and open arms, a far cry from his frozen and stilted start during the debate,” Dr Mahler saw his audible breathing was very high, pointing to “high levels of stress”.

“When he said ‘I don’t think I did’ to the question about watching the debate (on replay), this was his way of avoiding the question. He did not want to answer it. It was not that he did not remember,” she said.

“Normally this is because of the lack of startle response, but in this case it was intense concentration that a professional of this standing would not normally do – Biden was intensely focused on nailing this interview,” she said.

Dr Mahler “sensed denial” as he spoke of not being more frail than when he began his term as President.

“Biden’s argument that he was exhausted during the debate is highly valid and appeared truthful – although I believe there was another issue Biden faced on the night, and that was performance anxiety,” she said.

“Something he has dealt with his whole life as evidenced by his stutter, yet on the night an exhausted and ageing Biden could not overcome, further evidenced by his bright public performances since. This is a man, yes slowed by age, but with his mental faculties still in place.

“At times (during the debate) his mouth hung open while he listened, which was a sign of age and his voice started to fail and become breathy and croaky around 10 minutes in.

“This for me is another sign of performance anxiety. It comes, it goes, depending on how much stress he is feeling.
the president is up to the job. Picture: AFP
“At times Biden leans forward and drives in his eye contact, which is incredibly unattractive. He speaks of the character of the President being critical, but this part of Biden’s character is not appealing.”

Overall, Dr Mahler said Biden did little in this interview to allay fears he can stay in the presidential race.

“Time will tell, but based on what I saw in his interview the most likely take away for the American public is that Biden is old, frail and the debate was not just a ‘bad night’, but a sign that time has caught up with him,” she added.

Capture.PNG

US President Joe Biden refuses cognitive test in defiant interview​

US President Joe Biden has rejected concerns about his age and health, denied he is on track to lose to Donald Trump and argued only “the Lord Almighty” could convince him to drop out of the election race.
More than a week after his debate disaster against the former president, the 81-year-old was dismissive and defiant in a prime-time TV interview that was supposed to reassure panicked Democrats.

Instead, it sparked further calls for the oldest president in history to quit, as party leaders planned crisis talks in the days to come.

Mr Biden maintained his debate performance was “a bad episode” rather than “any serious condition”, as he claimed he was in good health and had not become more frail.

Asked repeatedly if he would take an independent neurological exam, the President said: “I have a cognitive test every single day … Not only am I campaigning, I’m running the world.”

While he avoided any major gaffes, he said he could not remember if he had watched a replay of the debate, while losing his train of thought as he stumbled through some answers.

In the 22-minute interview with Good Morning America co-anchor George Stephanopoulos, Mr Biden flatly rejected that he was on track to lose in November, saying he did not believe the polls which uniformly have Trump leading nationally and across key battleground states.

Asked if that was a risk worth taking, he said: “I don’t think anyone’s more qualified to be president or win this race than me.”

Stephanopoulus pressed Mr Biden on whether there were any circumstances in which he would drop out of the race, including if congressional leaders would ask him to quit.

“They’re not going to do that … Yeah, I’m sure,” the President replied.

“It’s not going to happen.”

He said he would only quit if “the Lord Almightly came down and said ‘Joe, get out of the race’”. But Mr Biden added: “The Lord Almighty’s not coming down.”

The President also maintained there had been “no slipping” in his recent public appearances, despite an awkward gaffe a day earlier in which he said he was proud to have been “the first Black woman to serve with a Black president”.

Moments before the interview, Mr Biden gave a fiery speech to supporters in Wisconsin, in which he also mistakenly said of Donald Trump: “I will beat him again in 2020.”

He said millions of Americans had voted for him to be the Democratic Party’s nominee for the extraordinary election rematch against the 78-year-old Republican.

A supporter tells Joe Biden to quit during a campaign rally in Wisconsin. Picture: Saul Loeb (AFP)
“Some folks don’t seem to care who you voted for – well guess what, they’re trying to push me out of the race,” he said.

“Let me say this as clearly as I can: I’m staying in the race … I’m not letting one 90-minute debate wipe out three and a half years of work.”

As more Democrats broke ranks to call on Mr Biden to quit, Texas congressman Lloyd Doggett – the first House member to do so – said: “The need for him to step aside is more urgent tonight.”

It also emerged that respected Democratic senator Mark Warner was moving to assemble a group of colleagues to ask him to exit the presidential race, while House Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries had called for talks with senior allies on Sunday (local time).

But Mr Biden maintained to Stephanopoulos that all Democratic leaders he had spoken to over the past week had told him to “stay in the race”.

A top party official told US news outlet Axios: “The only thing that can really allay concerns is for the president to demonstrate that he’s capable of running this campaign.”

“Everything else feels like ‘Weekend at Bernie’s’ by his inner circle to prop him up,” the official said.

MOMENT THAT SHOWED TIME’S UP FOR BIDEN

If Joe Biden’s intent in the ABC interview was to show the American people that the debate was just a ‘bad night’ due to him being exhausted and unwell, he failed, Dr Louise Mahler, expert in communication and body language said.

While he opened with a “big smile and open arms, a far cry from his frozen and stilted start during the debate,” Dr Mahler saw his audible breathing was very high, pointing to “high levels of stress”.

“When he said ‘I don’t think I did’ to the question about watching the debate (on replay), this was his way of avoiding the question. He did not want to answer it. It was not that he did not remember,” she said.

“Normally this is because of the lack of startle response, but in this case it was intense concentration that a professional of this standing would not normally do – Biden was intensely focused on nailing this interview,” she said.

Dr Mahler “sensed denial” as he spoke of not being more frail than when he began his term as President.

“Biden’s argument that he was exhausted during the debate is highly valid and appeared truthful – although I believe there was another issue Biden faced on the night, and that was performance anxiety,” she said.

“Something he has dealt with his whole life as evidenced by his stutter, yet on the night an exhausted and ageing Biden could not overcome, further evidenced by his bright public performances since. This is a man, yes slowed by age, but with his mental faculties still in place.

“At times (during the debate) his mouth hung open while he listened, which was a sign of age and his voice started to fail and become breathy and croaky around 10 minutes in.

“This for me is another sign of performance anxiety. It comes, it goes, depending on how much stress he is feeling.
the president is up to the job. Picture: AFP
“At times Biden leans forward and drives in his eye contact, which is incredibly unattractive. He speaks of the character of the President being critical, but this part of Biden’s character is not appealing.”

Overall, Dr Mahler said Biden did little in this interview to allay fears he can stay in the presidential race.

“Time will tell, but based on what I saw in his interview the most likely take away for the American public is that Biden is old, frail and the debate was not just a ‘bad night’, but a sign that time has caught up with him,” she added.

View attachment 2040206

Wonder why Trumpers want Biden gone? Interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back