International Rules - Australians' treatment of the Irish

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah I may be a bit late on this but oh well.

Now despite enjoying seeing the biff back when International Rules used to occur, I couldn't help but think that many of the times when brawls/melees started, it was because of our team starting it without reason, ie just for the ____ of it.

I think it's hard to argue against this. If what the Aussies did to the Irish is numerous incidents, occurred to one of the players from our own afl teams, we would be calling for the accused person's head at the tribunal.

My question is this.

Why did we start so much shit?

The Irish simply weren't used to the solid body-to-body contact and general niggle which is routine in a game if it's being taken seriously, so they took offense, and started throwing cheap shots. Of course then it was on from an Aussie point of view. Culture shock + small Irishmen = series canceled.

Yeah I may be a bit late on this but oh well.

Now despite enjoying seeing the biff back when International Rules used to occur, I couldn't help but think that many of the times when brawls/melees started, it was because of our team starting it without reason, ie just for the ____ of it.

I think it's hard to argue against this. If what the Aussies did to the Irish is numerous incidents, occurred to one of the players from our own afl teams, we would be calling for the accused person's head at the tribunal.

My question is this.

Why did we start so much shit?

we dont necessarily start it. irish arent used to the physicality in our game...
FOr instance every grand final (and most games throughout the season) will start with a bit of push and shove... watching the international rules we came out and gave them a little bump and little shove (less then what would happen in an AFL grand final and nothing worth talking about) and then the Irish feel its an attack on them and get more angro, then in retaliation we get more anrgo and it goes from there..

Our players take the international series very seriously,. they go out do a little bit of push and shove which happens before every important AFL game..
Its just about the difference in sporting codes.. not one team going out there and trying to beat the crap out of this other

we dont necessarily start it. irish arent used to the physicality in our game...
FOr instance every grand final (and most games throughout the season) will start with a bit of push and shove... watching the international rules we came out and gave them a little bump and little shove (less then what would happen in an AFL grand final and nothing worth talking about) and then the Irish feel its an attack on them and get more angro, then in retaliation we get more anrgo and it goes from there..

Our players take the international series very seriously,. they go out do a little bit of push and shove which happens before every important AFL game..
Its just about the difference in sporting codes.. not one team going out there and trying to beat the crap out of this other

this is the only argument that has been put out there that makes sense.. and I commend you on a well thought out and clearly accurate statement - again it comes down to a clash of cultures between what one country thinks is a little biff to start the game and the other not being used to it... as I've always said individually they are great games but the crossover version is rubbish - Please God the GAA will see sense and leave the series buried!!!

Firstly it was a clash of cultures , both countries had differing ideas of what
was acceptable and common place in their own games .
With the tackling the Irish aren't used to it being applied , but also not
used to evading it ether .Most AFL players wouldn't let themselves be put in
that situation to be tackled hard .So you have a lot of hard tackles
more frequently . Simple fact .

Remove this Banner Ad

International Rules - Australians' treatment of the Irish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back