Intraclub Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Cousins Stars in Intraclub

I popped along to Gosch's Paddock this morning for the Tiges first intra-club hitout...along with about 1000 others that included Carlton's Brett Munro, Matthew Lappin and Brendan Fevola. Coaches from the Bulldogs and Collingwood also keen lookers on...

Most were probably there to get a glimpse of 'Benny' Cousins - and you can understand why. Seeing the Tigers is an absolute nightmare in the summer...they train all over the place, mostly Victoria Park during the pre-season, sometimes Sandringham...in a few years it'll be permanently at Craigieburn and the club had it's family day at Glen Waverley. The club rarely gives its supporters the right information re: training times and locations and it makes you appreciate just how lucky we are that we have our one home ground that has such history attached to it...not many clubs can say that.

Ok - let's get on to the main focus...Benny. I've gotta tell you - I was ready to come on here and say how 'ineffective a player I think he will be' for them in 2009. It seems that's not going to be the case. Cousins is the bit of midfield depth the Tigers need. He was so easy to spot today, not only because he is so cut - but because he has clean hands, his disposal is excellent and he runs to the right places. While his first 25 minutes was quiet - his second 25 were outstanding.

That last point is important - because the Tiges had a few out there who ran around like chickens with their head cut off and every football basic they should have learnt from their under-12 coach went out the window. Jake King, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, Tom Hislop, Daniel Jackson and Angus Graham to mention a few...(not referring to any Coburg listed players out there today - they don't count).

Surprisingly - a couple of the young rookies impressed. Alroy Gilligan and Robin Nahas saw limited game time, but used it well as small forwards. Nahas will play senior footy this year I have little doubt.

The 'A' listers are easy to spot at Richmond. Deledio is a gun. He might not have had his kicking boot on today, but that's minor...he is not in Judd's league at the stoppages - but as a midfielder pushing forward to become a marking and goalkicking option, he's one of the best going around. Nathan Foley saw a lot of it and looks fit and fast. Chris Newman and Joel Bowden are still reliable across half-back, Kel Moore looks like he will continue to develop into a very good fullback and Shane Edwards is another classy mid who will make many look stupid this year, such is this kids excellent footwork.

Richo had a run around and looks good as well...played on a wing and pushed into half-forward. Coughlan tried hard, but will take time to get back to the pace of AFL footy, and Tyrone Vickery played in the ruck. Moves very well - but I don't reckon he's a ruckman. Vickery is a forward in my eyes and that's where I'd play him...a fit Simmonds, and the Tigers look alright down forward with Jack Riewoldt and Nathan Brown providing another avenue to goal.

Their forward line looks very good - their midfield looks good - and i'd suggest their backline is their biggest area of concern, only because of depth issues. While you can't take much away from an intra-club played on Gosch's paddock - those there would have learned a little about the Tigers today...if everything goes right for them this year - they just might find themselves in the box seat.

The intra-match report by a Carlton fella.

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20031&start=440

Yup, it was Matt Deledio.

Number 18 in the black was Alex Rance. Number 18 in the white was a phantom Coburg player.

Sorry about that, you're right re Rance. Now I can't remember what number Gilligan was, but he wasn't wearing 45 which is his actual number. Regardless, he did a couple of nice things.

:eek: Let's hope he's grown contested marking skills that continue to develop.

Something about Mav Weller.

Probably one of the AIS academy players we have training with us. I know Maverick Weller, a young kid from Burnie has been training with us recently but he wouldnt be the man you're talking about.[/quote]
a) Patto has always been able to take contested marks
b) Don't like him (arrogant twat), but he's a nice freaking player. Doubt he'll get past GC17 thought.

Now while Bling has just made the Harlem Globetrotters, (go figure?) a mate who went today said JON will never make it.
In fact, he's worse. Is this possible?

Wally M...welcome to the "Jackson's A Dud" club.

Also heard Nahas nickname might eventually become Tripod. ;)

No, no Patto hasnt. He's always struggled with contested marks. Do we have a stats guru around with contested marking amounts for Patto?

Yeah but when you're a young top 10 headed player like he is you're odds-on to get an ego that us mere mortals can object to. ;)

Really good to hear Nahas did well. From the sounds of it he'll definitely get a run out in the NAB cup and then perhaps get promoted to the senior list.
Also good to hear Polo, Raines, Richo and of course cousins all had good games.

How did Morton Play?
Also how did Hughes go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jayden Post was very impressive.

He's the first player we've drafted who could be a chance of filling one of Richo's shoes when he.......

Wally had it pretty much spot on. A few other things i picked up today were joel playing half forward in the first qtr and raines at half back for the black team. At qtr time raines changed into a white team jumper and remained at half back and joel played half back for the blacks. IMO raines is ahead of mc mahon for that spot, he had it on a string in the 1st qtr. Mc mahons disposal is still shite. Most of the seniors were rested after half time and i reckon it's going to take a while for cogs to break back in to the midfield. He played on the ball so he got the pill but he's lost alot in his upper body. He won't be in my DT.

Would anyone dispute that selecting JON at pick 8 is possibly worse than missing out on buddy? I think it could be.

Very weak draft, we took a gamble on the player who had the most upside and fitted what our gameplan is evolving towards. It's a struggle to name 4-5 players from that entire draft which you'd prefer, and we really don't need any of those players in a structural sense.

And please, when you're going to take potshots at JON, first consider the fact that Moore is four years older, only last year played his first good season of senior football, is now considered one of the better defenders in the league, and every year for the last five years there's been a long list of people demanding him to be delisted.

Have some faith in our football department, they know who is worth persisting with and who is not, and that has **** all to do with not 'embarrasing' Miller, Wallace, or whatever is the latest fantasy around retaining JON.

The whole 'dropped mark' thing today was absolute gutter journalism, and the last thing JON or the club needs is our own 'supporters' laying the boots into him instead of taking a 'wait and see' approach and being patient.

It's not like our future depends on whether he makes it or not, lay off the kid and let the coaching staff do their best with him - it may just pay dividends the way showing faith in the likes of Moore has.

I watched the whole game. Raines, Richo, Bowden (early), Rance, Cousins, Foley were my bests.

Who was 11 for the whites?

JON dropped a mark he should have taken right in front of me and skewed a kick from the same spot. He was horrible, I'm afraid to say.

Right... enough of the bullshit talking.

Ben Cousins

Was good, fitness is never going to be a concern, he managed to get to every contest and keep up with the pace of the game. Those saying he starred is just flat out dog shit. He wasnt that clean by hand or foot, yes he set up a nice shot on goal early, but his timing looked a bit out.

Matty Richardson

Owned it and he continues to defy age. Absolutely amazed by the shape the big fella is in, playing on a wing and then smashing it in the forward arch. Absolutely made Dean Polo look like a 2nds player for Whittlesea.

Dean Polo

Gone... l'll say it now, he's finished at Richmond. Before you jump down my throat, all l can say is, he is unfit, he is not concentrating and looks totally utterly LOST. Played on Richo for the first 1.5 quarters and gee whiz, didnt get near him. 10 minutes into the first quarter, Richo had run him off his legs. Hands on knees and disillusioned. Gone, finished, ta ta!

Andrew Raines

Have to eat my words on this one... he looked really good. Still needs to learn who to pass the pill to, but got a lot of it, has bulked up even more and showed an enormous amount to offer. Played the first quarter in the backline, then sort of shifted to the forward line, but always amoungst it. (see l can put my hands up when wrong.... good on ya Rainsey)

Jack Reiwoldt

Looks like a kid... absolutely no muslce on him whatsoever. Bit disappointed that he still hasnt managed to fill out. Not expecting him to fill a CHF or FF position, but it looks like you could the poor fella out. As my mate RECORDS says, lucky he is smart and knows how to play the game, because he theres not much of him.

Daniel Jackson

Sorry guys l'm right. Yes, he may have the fitness and the athletic ability, but he hasnt got a brain. Richo continually, continually had to spray him. Has no composure, no understanding of how to move the ball. I'm right.

Shane Edwards

Thought he was a fringe player at the beginning of the day... a walk up start as we speak. Played really well and looks like he has got more than just a burst forwardline player. Did some really good work coming out of the defence and in the guts.

Dean Putt

For a big fella, has some skills about him. Yes a few stray kicks here and there, but looked like he had more time than most 200cm giants.

Robin Nahas

My new cult hero... loved him! Would love to see him jump up onto the senior list and have him flinging around the forward pocket. Could be a missing link... could be a quicker, smaller, Edwards type player that can seem to duck in and out and dominate when the team needs.

Could make a few comments, but that was my take on what l saw.

:thumbsu:

Went along today with Wally and Records, and reckon Wally is being a tad harshe on Polo...the rest is close to on the money though. Here's my take on the ones worth noting.

Richo
Load up at 34-1 for the Charlie!! played a quarter and that was enough
to show us he will hit off where he left off. He did make Polo look ordinary but the Cho does that to the best of em. Still can't get my head around how he covers the ground he does. I think we can assume from today that any word of him being nursed up forward in his twilight years is rubbish, trimmed down and I should confess to getting a bacchus marsh when he stripped down and got his washboard abs out.

Polo

Got pantsed by Richo but then made amends when he went into the guts.....Wally had left by this stage due to an appointment strangely enough in a similar direction to "ladies for gentleman". Best work is in close but could struggle to get a spot with the thriving midfield as Wally hinted at.

Edwards

dished me up my first serving of humble pie today, would have to be a lock in the 22 after his showing today. Bulked up, took the game on and more importantly hit boody targets! i say keep him out of the forward line, from how it looked today it could be his set shot and stationary kicking that struggles as he looked very comfortable streaming out of the back and in the guts.

Raines

"Happy to be proven wrong";) hurts me to say it but thought he was sensational. Looks like he has been to decision making school while being on the sidelines, today he looked like he was playing the correct football code and not like a wannabe billy slater. Kicking was spot on, and did himself no harm in possibly locking away the small defender position.

Nathan Brown

played about a quarter all up but thought he's class stood out, has flown under the radar as a hype player this summer but he was moving very well and hitting blokes lace out consistently.

Daniel Jackson

Now don't get me wrong, being infected myself, I have a great deal of respect for blood nuts who get by due to determination but Wally is on the money here. Doesn't matter how fit he is,he has processing issues. At one stage today he made the decision to handball and began the action, I was able to go over the road to shell servo and warm up a chicken roll before it left his hand. He's the slowest fastest fittest bloke in the AFL.

Alex Rance

Love this blokes endeavour but his disposal needs to lift if he is to be considered. turnovers will hurt that deep in defense.

Jake King

debated his worth today but i reckon he is very worthy when he has his tail up. has better foot skills than what he gets credit for, gets in trouble when he thinks too much. If he's depth, you would have to be comfortable with where we're at. I like him as a tagger ahead of Jackson.

Robyn Nahas

Promote him now. Showed today other then being a live wire, he is the defensive tackler we've been crying out for and is a courageous little bastard.

Jaydn Post

Great size and will play seniors this years, anyone that can take grabs like that in their first hit out is well and truly worthy. I could also see the Richo in him, wont see a better pair of 18 year old dukes.

Dean Putt

I thought he looked like a better full forward option then Cleaver, who looked the same old dull cleaver. Putt was lively and has beautiful skills for a bloke that big. I reckon Putt and Riewolt will go well together.

Jack Riewoldt

Loved his game today and despite looking more T Rex then ever with his noodle arms, he was great. always presents and kicks it to the right spot. Even when there is very little options on he seems to put it in the spot where you feel like we're going to snag one.

Mitch Morton

In other good news Morton has discovered the art of overhead marking, looked dangerous when he got it.

Tom Hislop

Very strong bodies and overhead, throws his body in stupidly and looked today like he could be Tucky's understudy before Cogs at this point in time. Hopefully Cogs improves, certainly hasnt lost any courage.

Votes

3- Edwards
2- Raines
1- Richo (even if it was a quarter)

worst on goes to the 95 year old grandma on the punt road wing. Good on her for getting out there and being passionate about her tigers, but whoever owns her please pack the muzzle next time.

I had to read this sentence a couple of times, my head read it like this

Cousins impressed from the start, setting up a shot at goal early in the match before stepping up the gear in the second term.

I had to double take a couple of times.
That really is one of the most poor trolling attempts I think I have seen on this site. I can't hold it against you though, you are stuck listening to blues_man, parrot and thegeneral all day. :rolleyes:

RFCTA, where were you standing?

Southern side, not on Punt Road (Road) side, between the wing and the 50m arc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Intraclub Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back