Intraclub Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Cousins Stars in Intraclub

That really is one of the most poor trolling attempts I think I have seen on this site. I can't hold it against you though, you are stuck listening to blues_man, parrot and thegeneral all day. :rolleyes:

He isn't trolling.

Went today and watched the entire match. It may have been said but I feel the Black team was the NAB team and the White's were pushing for selection.

Exceptions to the rule was Tucky in the guts for the White's - he may have been captaining them. Also our three key backmen; Moore, Thursfield and McGuane all played for the White team. I think this makes sense as the coaches would've felt there would be alot more pressure on the White team's defense and this would be a better challenge for these guys.

A few players changed teams during the game, I assume to even up the sides or to check out different match ups. Newman swapped sides as did Thursfield for the second quarter.

McGuane I felt was our best performed defender in the first quarter and am surprised no-one has mentioned him. I used to feel he was awkward and gangly - he has filled out alot in the upper body - his shoulders are incredibly broad and his length certainly aids him in contests. He provided some good run too, sold a bit of candy and showed some poise in a few tight situations. Moore and Thursfield were both solid but all three only played a half max.

Cousins was very sharp, he just knows where to run and he delivers.

Cogs was pleasing to watch as he showed he can still find the ball and his delivery was up to standard, i expected to be disheartened but he showed a bit and i think he can still contribute down the track.
As said previously, Richo looked as good as he did last year, plucked some great grabs and his body use is top notch.

Of the forwards, Jack was lively, he moves quite well and he stuck most of the grabs he attempted. I think he just needs some experience in regards to when he needs to go, when he should handball and when he should kick etc. One time he had a bit of space and Morts was demanding the ball in the square.. Jack handballed it over a little late and Morton was rushed and got tackled on the line. I think he will really grow as a player this year.
All the senior blokes played as would've been expected, Browny showed class, Tuck was always in and around the ball and Joel ran to the right spots and used the ball well.
I was pretty impressed with Putt, looked like he was still getting used to his body - he wasn't knocking packs over but he marked on the lead and presented well. Definately seems more likely as a forward in that he was quite good in moving to the right spots and leading at the right times.. He looked a little lost when he floated up the ground - being drawn to players when they dummied handballs and standing in no man's land.

Rance really excited me, he moves really, really well for a player of his size. He reads the ball and is quick. Sure he needs some practice in kicking at speed but half the team does. He was quite vocal too when the ball was coming into defence, instructing guys to drop back and who needed to push up etc. Was a good sign and the guys listened and followed his advice.
Post was impressive, he played later in the game when alot of the senior guys were resting, but his hands are fantastic. He has a broad upper body but lacks strength through his legs and hips and got a little bustled in marking contests, his ability to read the ball though allowed him to take a few marks and look dangerous.

Reading back, Jackson has been laid into a fair bit, I feel he will be a full time tagger this year and today they didn't tag anyone in the midfield.. and when the ball shot out to him lurking at the back of the packs he would look forward and try to create, which didn't always work. I know players should be able to make the right decision but I feel with his engine and his size he can do a bit of damage on some of the opposition's midfielders.
I actually spoke to Jackson at one stage during the off season and he told me how this year he aims to be really hard at the ball, really aggressive - he wants to play on Judd, Kirk etc. and be the player that the oppostion really hates. I have a bit of faith that he will have a really good year.

Overall the session was a little scrappy, some poor decision making and some marks dropped that need to be taken.
There was some nice forward movements though from both sides and most players showed a bit to say they are coming along for the season.

[UDean Putt

I thought he looked like a better full forward option then Cleaver, who looked the same old dull cleaver. Putt was lively and has beautiful skills for a bloke that big. I reckon Putt and Riewolt will go well together.

Ive been quietly hoping that putt just maybe the long term answer to our FF for a while now...would love to see him get a run v Freo and show a bit and really grab this pre season by the horns to present himself for R1:thumbsu:

I left out a couple. Shane Edwards was very impressive. Lots of pace, good skills.
Don't quite agree about Cuz. He didn't dominate but you could see the talent. One particular burst in the second qtr showed how explosive and damaging he could be.
Rainesy was good. I've always liked him as a footballer. Has got the same poise as his old man.
I thought Polo was alright. Admittedly, I didn't see the first qtr when he was on Richo, but he got a bit of it when I was there and ran pretty well.
Also Morton did a few nice things. No-one has mentioned him.

In fact, that was one thing that impressed me, the amount of run we showed. Both teams. And the handballing and disposal under pressure even by the new blokes was good especially this early in the season.
Something Geelong is very good at.
Looking at that game, you would be optimistic for this year. Lots and lots of depth, our possible weakness would be key forwards, Jack and Cleve, while going ok, must continue to improve for the Tigers to really threaten this year.

Yep your spot on,
were starting to gain depth in most positions bar the key forward area.
will be interesting to see what happens this year, 1 of the 2 mentioned above really needs to cement a key position and have considerable impact and soon.
If you have a look at our list were looking very average for forward KP's if one of these 2 doesn't take his opportunity.

Good to hear the reports on Nahas. He will be a cult hero at AFL level (as he was at Port). Please promote him to your senior list... I don't want to see him lining up against us for Coburg.

Very weak draft, we took a gamble on the player who had the most upside and fitted what our gameplan is evolving towards. It's a struggle to name 4-5 players from that entire draft which you'd prefer, and we really don't need any of those players in a structural sense.

And please, when you're going to take potshots at JON, first consider the fact that Moore is four years older, only last year played his first good season of senior football, is now considered one of the better defenders in the league, and every year for the last five years there's been a long list of people demanding him to be delisted.

Have some faith in our football department, they know who is worth persisting with and who is not, and that has **** all to do with not 'embarrasing' Miller, Wallace, or whatever is the latest fantasy around retaining JON.

The whole 'dropped mark' thing today was absolute gutter journalism, and the last thing JON or the club needs is our own 'supporters' laying the boots into him instead of taking a 'wait and see' approach and being patient.

It's not like our future depends on whether he makes it or not, lay off the kid and let the coaching staff do their best with him - it may just pay dividends the way showing faith in the likes of Moore has.
Intelligent post:thumbsu:
It was an average draft that year and Its not make or break with him just yet!

-
Carlton take away Chris Judd and Brendon Fevola= Wooden Spoon material
-
we did take away Judd last year just for your 100 year birthday party to give you a chance...

Take out Richo & the tiges would struggle too. take out the best 2 players from any team - especially a now fit best midfielder in the comp & the best full forward & of course we'd struggle.

round 1 should be a belter though- bring it on i say. hop on our board tomorrow for a read on how our warm up game went.

ctacp
curlier than a catoggio pube

Guys. Anyone have any news on Matt White, Collins or Connors. Did they play & how'd they go?

Good to hear the reports on Nahas. He will be a cult hero at AFL level (as he was at Port). Please promote him to your senior list... I don't want to see him lining up against us for Coburg.

Good to see people are starting to appreciate Nahas. I have been saying it for years.... but falling on deaf ears..

I'm glad to see all you tigers supporters getting behind him:thumbsu:

Fellas what you saw today was just the tip of the Iceberg.

Just wait till he's fully fit:eek:

I've never seen the Nahas play but from all these even from opposition supporters has got me really excited about this kid. Can't wait to see him in the NAB cup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very weak draft, we took a gamble on the player who had the most upside and fitted what our gameplan is evolving towards. It's a struggle to name 4-5 players from that entire draft which you'd prefer, and we really don't need any of those players in a structural sense.

And please, when you're going to take potshots at JON, first consider the fact that Moore is four years older, only last year played his first good season of senior football, is now considered one of the better defenders in the league, and every year for the last five years there's been a long list of people demanding him to be delisted.

Have some faith in our football department, they know who is worth persisting with and who is not, and that has **** all to do with not 'embarrasing' Miller, Wallace, or whatever is the latest fantasy around retaining JON.

The whole 'dropped mark' thing today was absolute gutter journalism, and the last thing JON or the club needs is our own 'supporters' laying the boots into him instead of taking a 'wait and see' approach and being patient.

It's not like our future depends on whether he makes it or not, lay off the kid and let the coaching staff do their best with him - it may just pay dividends the way showing faith in the likes of Moore has.

Typical Razor propaganda. The club can, and will do no wrong. Ever.

let's quote the exception to the rule ( Moore) as the norm to keep JON here forever. That is like saying all black people can become president..look at obama! If that is the rationale then we should never delist anyone till after at least 4/5 years just in case they become a Moore.

How about listing the litiny of players that haven't cut it after 4/5 years and don't go on to be a Moore.

I thought the journalism was spot on and comppletley accurate. The dropped mark was right in front of me( I was there Razor!!!) and the whole crowd cringed. The comments went on for 10 minutes.

Whether or not his draft was strong is not really relevent to the fact that , unlike Moore who showed glimpses, this guy is a train wreck.

They perservered with Andrew Krakouer as well remember.

Wally had it pretty much spot on. A few other things i picked up today were joel playing half forward in the first qtr and raines at half back for the black team. At qtr time raines changed into a white team jumper and remained at half back and joel played half back for the blacks. IMO raines is ahead of mc mahon for that spot, he had it on a string in the 1st qtr. Mc mahons disposal is still shite. Most of the seniors were rested after half time and i reckon it's going to take a while for cogs to break back in to the midfield. He played on the ball so he got the pill but he's lost alot in his upper body. He won't be in my DT.

And whats funny is, people on here think l know nothing. Even being out of te country of 3 years.

:rolleyes:

one person has mentioned Tucky and that was half a line, how was he?

mcmahon?

bowden? does he look trimmer, fitter quicker?

How did Schulz play and where did he play?

so JON dropped a mark, get over it, cant believe that was mentioned in an article, pure crap, shameful journalism

JON is a deadset dud. Delusional people like Razorwire continue to hold the club's football department in high regard for whatever reason. Did you have a brain melt and forget the last 7 years?

So much for Jackson's awesome pre-season, he is a very average footballer, and we simply need to do better then players like him if we are to be a successful side.

Hello... first post... I've finally succumb to that Big Footy 'urge'.

re: I'm assuming that Browne was the big dude with red
coloured hair.

Don't think Andrew Browne has red hair... tall sandy blonde when we drafted him I thought? (And really, who would die their hair RED??!)

re: "The dark bloke wearing 18 for the white team - is that the tennis player who's been training with us? I like him. Similar size and build to Rance but quicker and I reckon with plenty of upside".

I was standing next to a guy that said that this guy was his younger brother. He was filming his every move.
Said his name (surname) is Jervis? or Jarvis? Is 18 yo, and entered the draft but was not picked up... but is on Coburg's list this year. Can't work out exactly who is it.... but perhaps that's enough for someone else to put their finger on it?

RAD... Brown - I thought did play the first qtr and was getting run off by Edwards... who was super.

Cousins..... fantastic... the stand-out things about him are that:
a) he has decided what his 'option a' is before he has even picked the ball up, so makes great decisions (when he gets it) most of the time, and
b) he does not slow down to kick/dispose of the ball.... he still has his jets, and disposes, with class, while still accelerating or at top speed.

Andy Collins.... wow, he actually was very good... Tiger Troy - your wet dreams may just come true.

JON... he's the closest thing i've had to blind faith (more hope really)... but its over. Sorry mate... cousins takes 0.05 secs to make a correct decision... you take forever and then make a bad one.

Post - our future CHF... great clean mark... very impressed.
If he does not step up... Jack R will.

Cleve - a one trick pony (lead, mark, kick)... so better get better at executing that trick.... cause the competition is building.

Jake King.... always a place for a hard, fast little nut like him. Great return 'to the track' today.

Am loving that we seem to have such a FAST team.... Jake King, Deledio, Edwards, White, Cousins... and Cothin, Tambling, McMohan, Jackson are not slow either.... find it hard to see where the slow ones like Johnson fit in now?

Have not been so excited about our list in my lifetime.... speed, some class, and developing great depth.

Reading back, Jackson has been laid into a fair bit, I feel he will be a full time tagger this year and today they didn't tag anyone in the midfield.. and when the ball shot out to him lurking at the back of the packs he would look forward and try to create, which didn't always work. I know players should be able to make the right decision but I feel with his engine and his size he can do a bit of damage on some of the opposition's midfielders.
I actually spoke to Jackson at one stage during the off season and he told me how this year he aims to be really hard at the ball, really aggressive - he wants to play on Judd, Kirk etc. and be the player that the oppostion really hates. I have a bit of faith that he will have a really good year.

Well justified faith d3, he will make it.

If he was available to them, Geelong would play him ahead of Rooke, Wojinski, Tenace, Hunt and Kelly - none of whom have the combination of both skill and raw hardness which Jackson has.

That's the thing people don't seem to get - he doesn't have to, nor should he be expected to become the next Deledio, Foley or Cotchin, he just has to be a 'die for the team' reliable foot soldier who no opponent in the league can break with run, intimidation or hardness.

Look at Liberatore's deficiencies, then compare him to Jackson, and it really isn't hard to work out why Wallace is joyfully cultivating him as our premiership junkyard dog.

That's why I have so much time for Wallace as a coach. He knows from his own career and from his own observations post-career, that winning a premiership has far less to do with gathering a handful of talented footballers - which every side from 1st to 16th has - and far more to do with having 10-14 other players who are bred from day one to run through brick walls, laugh at the impact, then back up five days later to do the same all over again, season after season.

Any unbiased look at Jackson's finish to the '08 season leaves you in no doubt that he is exactly what Wallace has been looking for to compliment the skill and the run and carry - exactly what we need more of.

When Adelaide humiliated us late last year, Jackson, King and Tuck were the only men in yellow and black who could hold their heads high afterwards - and that was no coincidence. On arguably the darkest day of our '08 season, with limited game time, Jackson picked up 21 possessions, tackled and scrapped like a man possessed (12! tackles and 11! 1%ers), and put the vast majority of the players from either side to shame.

He's a Duncan Kellaway who can kick, mark, and has the physical attributes to play nearly any position on the ground. Every side needs a handful of 'talented enough' hardnuts; in Jackson, King and Tuck, we've already found ours. It took a long time for the majority to warm to Tuck, Jackson and King have had it no easier as far as opinions go, but at least two of those three (if not all three) are just as essential ingredients to our future success as the blueblood superstars are.

How could anyone watch the Tiger premierships of years gone by and doubt that fact?

[/b]
Yep your spot on,
were starting to gain depth in most positions bar the key forward area.
will be interesting to see what happens this year, 1 of the 2 mentioned above really needs to cement a key position and have considerable impact and soon.
If you have a look at our list were looking very average for forward KP's if one of these 2 doesn't take his opportunity.

At face value that's very true Francis, but it's also difficult to forget Geelong comfortably winning a flag with no key forward besides a very average (then) 28yo serial comedy act who was given outstanding ball on tap and a paddock to work in game after game.

Typical Razor propaganda. The club can, and will do no wrong. Ever.

Wholesale invention is all you have Offal Troll, it beats me why you bother.

let's quote the exception to the rule ( Moore) as the norm to keep JON here forever. That is like saying all black people can become president..look at obama! If that is the rationale then we should never delist anyone till after at least 4/5 years just in case they become a Moore.

Enter the usual straw man argument which utterly ignores the fact I said we should have faith in the coaching staff's opinion. If that means JON over Meyer or anyone else delisted, I back their decision.

How about listing the litiny of players that haven't cut it after 4/5 years and don't go on to be a Moore.

See above. I know now that if I don't respond to every single word of your ridiculous diatribe, you'll still be moaning about it in April like a jilted schoolgirl.

I thought the journalism was spot on and comppletley accurate.

You also probably email Andrew Bolt three times a day with man-love missives of support and hero worship.

The dropped mark was right in front of me( I was there Razor!!!) and the whole crowd cringed. The comments went on for 10 minutes.

I strongly doubt that you shut up about it all day, which makes your account of the event about as reliable as a bargain basement hatchback built in Kyrgyzstan.

Whether or not his draft was strong is not really relevent to the fact that , unlike Moore who showed glimpses, this guy is a train wreck.

My comment was "relevent" (sic) to the quote I responded to, but I do apologise for not anticipating your customary bullshit in advance and building it into that response. It's not like I knew it wasn't coming. :p

Please list some instances of 'glimpses' you saw from Moore in 2005 and prior to that. I'm sure it would be priceless comical reading if you had the audacity to try and bluff your way through it.

A couple of things:

JON

Its easy to bag a bloke that doesnt make or brake the bank. JON is exactly what Roayzorwire says, not much against a field of nothing, but could possibly turn into something that may be of some value. If it loses, so what... not much in that draft won. Forget it and move on. But yes, l dont hold much hope.

Shane Tuck

Still an absolute trojan, but his foot skils were left to be desired today. But for some reason, l dont know if the ground lookewd smaller, but everything looked congested. I hokd nothing against him... easily one of the first players picked.

----

I went with Roostertalk, but l disagree with his assessment on Polo... lazy, lazy, lazy. Its like a year 12 student going on a spelling bee with a 2 year old. Knows he should win it, but doesnt. :rolleyes:

Speed - How could i leave out Foley!!! And Raines covers the ground ok as well.

Cousins.... in horse racing terms...think a champion 7yo returning to the track with a 5 furlong trial, showing his class, covering the last 400 in 24 seconds. If he stays sound... he looks set shine, once again, in G1 class. Go you good thing!!

P2050203.jpg

P2050204.jpg

P2050205.jpg

P2050206.jpg

Well justified faith d3, he will make it.

If he was available to them, Geelong would play him ahead of Rooke, Wojinski, Tenace, Hunt and Kelly - none of whom have the combination of both skill and raw hardness which Jackson has.

Answer me this question..... did you go today???

No... so pull your head in Rayzor. He was aweful today and an embarassment to anyone he tried to pass it to.

Spare me you virtual reality. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Intraclub Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back