Investigation into Essendon Fitness Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the cold hard facts here 2011 he was actually in career best form until he got injured and probably would have steam rolled the brownlow counts had he not been injured - the year before the alleged substances were used.
So the year before, his body couldn't take the intense training regime. Then in 2012, he could cop the load.

And the cold hard facts here 2011 he was actually in career best form until he got injured and probably would have steam rolled the brownlow counts had he not been injured - the year before the alleged substances were used.

It's more than alleged, he has came out on Monday and basically said, 'I'm a drug cheat'!

If you are a big enough dog, people don't want to know the bigger story.

Justin Charles steadfastly refused to name the source of his steroids. Reckons when he mentioned it to the AFL the response was, "We'll pretend we didn't hear that." Sounded like the person was either near the top of the food chain or from the underworld.

So what is the process when a player publicly admits to taking a banned substance. Or isn't there one for that? I think it supercedes any investigation.

Say a person is investigated for murder. During that period a video surfaces clearly showing him shooting the victim 100%, and he admits to it. The investigation process has a month to run. What happens next?
Without a positive test result, there won't be any sanctions until ASADA complete their investigations process.

Dead wrong, even bush leaguers are given the "don't use *anything* without checking first" speech at the start of every season, everyone knows not to buy anything from overseas and aside from that it takes 2 seconds to look up the AFL anti doping code if it wasn't handed out to you as part of your clubs Do's and Do-Nots. AFL level players are given detailed sessions with video presentations, AFL reps on hand to answer questions and above all of that have managers that know a PR disaster from 100 meters away and have access to limitless resources in getting medical and legal advise.

I can't imagine what would be required, from an anti-doping perspective, to get AFL certification as a club doctor but it would be substantially more than to be a player. They are not even permitted to have anything banned on their person unless they can provide justification for it and I'm damn sure they know that.

I do not believe this is somehow the AFLs fault for one second.

It would seem the AFL have put some effort into this but the evidence from the Essendon saga is that whatever they are doing didn't work. Or.... Essendon deliberately ignored all the WADA compliance process put in place by the AFL and set out to deliberately cheat. It's one or the other. Either the AFL WADA compliance and education process was inadequate or Essendon deliberately ignored it to gain an advantage.

So the year before, his body couldn't take the intense training regime. Then in 2012, he could cop the load.
I have nothing against Watson, in fact he looks to be the most honest person involved and is clearly a very good player and character.

However, my experience with training partners who take the banned substances is that the improvement in training loads and performance is absolutely dramatic.

There is a very real reason they are banned in sport.

I have nothing against Watson, in fact he looks to be the most honest person involved and is clearly a very good player and character.

However, my experience with training partners who take the banned substances is that the improvement in training loads and performance is absolutely dramatic.

There is a very real reason they are banned in sport.

Looks can be deceiving, its those "puppy dog eyes" that makes people assume he is honest. In reality, he is a self confessed drug cheat.

So what is the process when a player publicly admits to taking a banned substance. Or isn't there one for that? I think it supercedes any investigation.

Say a person is investigated for murder. During that period a video surfaces clearly showing him shooting the victim 100%, and he admits to it. The investigation process has a month to run. What happens next?

Watson has not admitted to taking a banned substance. he has not admitted the substance is banned. It is up to ASADA to prove that it is, almost certain that they will succeed in doing so, but this does not change the present situation.

Your question has no bearing on this matter, not even remotely the same.

Without a positive test result, there won't be any sanctions until ASADA complete their investigations process.
You mean like Ben Cousins? Surprised the AFL hasn't called on the old "bringing the game into disrepute" charge... actually, no I'm not. Typical AFL behaviour to pick and choose to suit their biases. Thankfully ASADA/WADA involvement means it's not going to remain a totally in-house process for the AFL.

Watson has not admitted to taking a banned substance. he has not admitted the substance is banned. It is up to ASADA to prove that it is, almost certain that they will succeed in doing so, but this does not change the present situation.

Your question has no bearing on this matter, not even remotely the same.

finally an opposition supporter who speaks sense

So if player A comes in to ASADA and makes an admission of taking a banned substance 3 months back, he gets to play on for however many months after?

No. With a positive sample OR confession, sanctions can be applied immediately. How many athletes would confess to using a prohibited substance though? o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another 'no comment' interview.

They comment after a tight win in Perth
They comment when McVeigh wants to have a shot at an ex team mate
They comment on the couch
They comment when they don't concede that they've taken banned substances

But they don't comment when the journalists ask questions on integrity, PR and media management or questions about why they've got players taking the field after being injected with a drug that WADA has banned.
It's time for the media to get stuck in at the post match media conferences and demand answers.

Hird needs to be challenged and called out publicly. If he says he can't comment that needs to be challenged because he can, it's just that he's chosen not to - whether that is due to spin doctor or legal advice it doesn't mean he can't.

Journalists need to hammer him and demand the truth.

Hopefully we'll get a Colonel Jessup "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH" type explosion.

Then the analogy breaks down. The video is supposed to be of him doing the act in question.

Jobe is openly admitting to taking a prohibited substance.

To be fair he is openly admitting to quite possibly taking a substance which is quite possibly prohibited. Not sure he can be suspended for admitting to being suspicious of what he took (or was administered too him). AFL has no choice but to let him continue to play until the official findings come out

Looks can be deceiving, its those "puppy dog eyes" that makes people assume he is honest. In reality, he is a self confessed drug cheat.

I believe him, he's an honest player who has found out his club has betrayed him. He has not been complicit in trying to cover it up.

I think I have a different opinion regarding Reimers than I used to ( before all this started ).

Spike ..... naaah

It's time for the media to get stuck in at the post match media conferences and demand answers.

Hird needs to be challenged and called out publicly. If he says he can't comment that needs to be challenged because he can, it's just that he's chosen not to - whether that is due to spin doctor or legal advice it doesn't mean he can't.

Hopefully we'll get a Colonel Jessup "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH" type explosion.

Mr Hird, did you order the Code Red?

Good luck with that. The media is packed with Essendon supporters and apologists, not to mention the AFL's official mouthpiece, SEN.

We're more likely to get a bunch of articles about how brave the bombers have been through this alleged scandal.

Which will be a shame for him and Port because he has well and truly re-invented himself from another Essendon diving squib to very good contributor to Port Adelaide. Really turned his game around. I'm sure from Day 1 he's been forthright to his new club about what program he partook in and what he did know. I fail to recall, did he attend an ASADA interview panel?
haha coming from carlton with Eddie 10/10 Betts the most seasoneed of all divers. Every team has/has had them. Mofries form must have come from all the peptides he has used huh

Good luck with that. The media is packed with Essendon supporters and apologists, not to mention the AFL's official mouthpiece, SEN.

We're more likely to get a bunch of articles about how brave the bombers have been through this alleged scandal.

We have had that so far but I think the wind may just be shifting with Robbo unequivocal in his condemnations yesterday.

And Caro has been waiting her whole life for this story. She doesn't have to beat up sports trivia into hard news with this one, it really is hard news. She will go as hard and as long as it takes, and she will not stop until James Hird gets his due. Chuck in Chairman Jeff to do battle with Chairman Vlad and we have a couple of unlikely champions on the side of truth, justice and the Aussie way. Woo hoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back