Investigation into Essendon Fitness Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears likely that your club will be sanctioned. Hird said that he accepts full responsibility. On this basis what should his penalty be?

My personal opinion is that anyone who will be penalised should be :
Players
Essendon Football Club as an entity.
James Hird is part of the EFC, and may be held responsible for any sanctions that the club suffer's.
Then it will be up to the club and it's members. Just like it was up to Carlton to get rid of Elliot.

On Tippett, this is a very different situation IMO. Players naively relied on advice which mislead them. I think its a long bow to say Tippett didn't know his deal was breaking cap rules (esp since he and his family were threatening Adelaide with going public if they didn't do the deal)

Don't get me wrong I was simply looking at the 6 month ban compared to 2 years.
After 6 months Tippett seem's to have had a nice little vacation and is raring to go. 2 years is very different.
Of course it could be problematic for the club if there are a number of players involved. ( Still a big question ).

Don't get me wrong I was simply looking at the 6 month ban compared to 2 years.
After 6 months Tippett seem's to have had a nice little vacation and is raring to go. 2 years is very different.
Of course it could be problematic for the club if there are a number of players involved. ( Still a big question ).

On the timing, its worse with ASADA, they have to serve in comp, so there goes basically an entire season (if you include pre-season). Also can they still train at the club in the off season? I know some bans prohibit you from entering the club (don't know with ASADA).

For some players, missing a pre-season and a full year of footy will be career over (kids trying to prove themselves and the vets). Tippett is fortunate given his age and value to the club.

I'm guessing probably desparation is the most likely reason, given they weren't saying that in the first interviews with Watson, only the final ones with McVeigh

Desperation? You don't reckon the threat of cancer would have done the trick? They had to make up infertility?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that is interesting

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...hites-redemption/story-fn8sc2wz-1226673399796

I'm sure the 2 year crowd will shout it down, because they know ASADA best. Malifice particularly will poo poo this I'd imagine, as apparently the players are screwed for 2 years and it's as simple as that

Speaking for myself only and based on what's been reported I'd be surprised if any player cops a 2 year ban as I think it would be undeserved and unnecessarily harsh.

I think 6 months is a more fitting penalty but I'd qualify that by saying it depends on when the clock starts ticking on the 6 months - if it starts in August when the investigation is concluded the 6 months would be useless as they'd be back playing in February.

I also the think the number of players banned and the duration of those bans, if any, should be factored into to any decision on the loss of premiership points in 2014 - for example if players escape bans then the club shouldn't be allowed to earn points, conversley if a significant number of players are banned then perhaps the club shuld be allowed to earn points as they'd be playing with a compromised list.

All the above is pending the finalisation of the investigation though as I'm sure there's details that have yet to become public

Even the Essendon players seemed a bit surprised at the number of injections they were getting. There is certainly no indication that they are the norm within the AFL.
Do you have any evidence to convince others to share your belief or is it like belief in scientology or the tooth fairy?

Even the Essendon players seemed a bit surprised at the number of injections they were getting. There is certainly no indication that they are the norm within the AFL.
Do you have any evidence to convince others to share your belief or is it like belief in scientology or the tooth fairy?
couldn't help yourself could you? I am happy to discuss this with people who are interested but if you're going to throw in shit like you did in the last line then why would I bother?

Speaking for myself only and based on what's been reported I'd be surprised if any player cops a 2 year ban as I think it would be undeserved and unnecessarily harsh.

I think 6 months is a more fitting penalty but I'd qualify that by saying it depends on when the clock starts ticking on the 6 months - if it starts in August when the investigation is concluded the 6 months would be useless as they'd be back playing in February.

Penalties are served in season

Penalties are served in season
whilst I am not saying one way or the other, there is some conjecture about this I believe. I think the AFL could get sneaky and say that, due to the way the contracts are structured, "in competition" is all year aside from the holiday period. Not completely sure on that and not saying I think it should or would go that way, I'm just not sure the AFL couldn't get a dodge of some kind happening there

whilst I am not saying one way or the other, there is some conjecture about this I believe. I think the AFL could get sneaky and say that, due to the way the contracts are structured, "in competition" is all year aside from the holiday period. Not completely sure on that and not saying I think it should or would go that way, I'm just not sure the AFL couldn't get a dodge of some kind happening there

Yeah, good point Lance. I guess if they can structure it in a way that doesnt affect the 2014 fixtures (in the case of any penalties), it would be beneficial to them.
This guys are held accountable 52 weeks a year, so it is valid in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back