Irish flag

Remove this Banner Ad

lol-why-you-mad-tho.jpg

Pretty sure we have an Irish player running around on our team...
Marty's from Northern Ireland, and the green, white and orange flag is that of the Republic of Ireland, whilst Northern Ireland's flag is the union jack, or at sporting events, the Ulster flag:

So it's either ignorance (like waving an Aussie flag for a New Zealander) or it was in memory of Jim Stynes (born in the Republic of Ireland)

I should show marty clarke and paul cribbin this. You're going to have a few angry people knocking on your door.

Seriously get over it we have irish players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to mention that Marty is from Northern Ireland so he wouldn't be too keen on that flag being associated with him. I'm English and it annoys me big time when people say the Union Jack is the flag of England, when in fact our flag is the St. George's cross. I'm English first and foremost, i'm only British to people in other countries who feel we are one nation. Just like when people imitate a 'British' accent. More imitating the Queen's accent. Scottish and Welsh people sound nothing like that, I certainly don't sound like that and even most people from London don't sound like that! Anyway, way off topic - i'm sure the flag in the crowd is meant to be good natured, and possibly for our other younger Irish Republic players!

Slightly better than than the 50+ lady with the sign. "Give me a Brazilian Harry"

Damn, our cheer squad is so embarrassing.

Agree and they abuse there own Fans when they don't do what they want

Marty's from Northern Ireland, and the green, white and orange flag is that of the Republic of Ireland, whilst Northern Ireland's flag is the union jack, or at sporting events, the Ulster flag:

So it's either ignorance (like waving an Aussie flag for a New Zealander) or it was in memory of Jim Stynes (born in the Republic of Ireland)

Not quite. Plenty of people in Northern Ireland identify more strongly with the tricolours than the ulster flag, or the union jack.

Not quite. Plenty of people in Northern Ireland identify more strongly with the tricolours than the ulster flag, or the union jack.

A lot of Republicans who want a united Ireland would certainly identify with the triclour flag, although the majority are perfectly happy being part of Great Britain and would dismiss the Republic of Ireland's flag.

that depends on whether he's a prod or catholic. A Mick wouldn't be caught dead waving the British flag, so the Irish flag would be much more appropriate.

Too funny.

An Irish flag gets waved in the crowd. Collingwood board erupts into a shitfight about Irish politics.

(Note to mods: we need one of those cute emoticons that shakes his head)

I should show marty clarke and paul cribbin this. You're going to have a few angry people knocking on your door.

Seriously get over it we have irish players.
Marty and Caolan both have Irish Passports which makes them Irish Citizens!They would have the option of having a British Passport, but Northern Ireland Catholics,regard themselves as Irish!!Keep that Tricolor flying!!Oiche Mhaith

If martin clarke liked that northern ireland flag he wouldn't be playing for collingwood. Protestants identify with that flag while catholics identify with the irish tri colour. Protestants do not play gaelic games at all and a northern ireland flag or union jack will never be seen at a GAA match. Mooney and Clarke are catholics as they played gaelic football so the irish flag is the correct flag to be bringing to the footy to support them.

I was going to mention that Marty is from Northern Ireland so he wouldn't be too keen on that flag being associated with him. I'm English and it annoys me big time when people say the Union Jack is the flag of England, when in fact our flag is the St. George's cross. I'm English first and foremost, i'm only British to people in other countries who feel we are one nation. Just like when people imitate a 'British' accent. More imitating the Queen's accent. Scottish and Welsh people sound nothing like that, I certainly don't sound like that and even most people from London don't sound like that! Anyway, way off topic - i'm sure the flag in the crowd is meant to be good natured, and possibly for our other younger Irish Republic players!
Your post reminded me of this joke :p
Two Welsh girls drinking in a bar and an Englishman pulls up a stool and listens to them chat for a bit.
After a while he says to them
"Hi! Love your accents, are you two girls from Scotland?"
She replies, "Wales you ****wit! Wales!"
"I'm sorry luv, my mistake! Are you two whales from Scotland?"

I'm English and it annoys me big time when people say the Union Jack is the flag of England, when in fact our flag is the St. George's cross. I'm English first and foremost, i'm only British to people in other countries who feel we are one nation. Just like when people imitate a 'British' accent. More imitating the Queen's accent. Scottish and Welsh people sound nothing like that, I certainly don't sound like that and even most people from London don't sound like that!
Yeah, well, you go around invading and empire-building and you have to put up with a bit of that shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Irish flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back