Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ppl doing Front Raises in front of the dumbbells. GTFO.

Standing+Alternate+Dumbbell+Front+Raises

went to another gym using my fit pass. towels seem optional. phones aren't though....glued to most folks hand.

an interesting observation, most of the folks who looked good / big didn't have a phone or kept it in their pocket/strapped to arm and used it as a music device.

the average ****** was on it during 5 minute rest intervals.

The large rest intervals whilst playing on phones is quite annoying, especially if you're waiting on the machine. They're often the same people who don't re-rack their weights, aren't they?

Ppl doing Front Raises in front of the dumbbells. GTFO.

Standing+Alternate+Dumbbell+Front+Raises

I see you found my picture.

Finally got what you meant after thinking about it.

Can't say it's ever really annoyed me, as they generally do a few reps then move.

The new gym is going well, but it's clear they didn't think too long about the layout on the main floor. Cardio area is fine but the weights area is a bit whack.

There's tonnes of older clientele. Generally fine, but a few too many 50+ married to a banker haven't worked a day since the 80's types.

I did a fitness test on the Matrix treadmill the other day. It was the Marine's test, that is a 3-mile run to see if you make the cut to be a Marine. You enter your age and weight etc at the beginning. I was all set to finally become a Marine like my hero Steven Seagal. Went out super hard, headphones pumping, 3:50 per KM pace and kept that going for the first two miles. Was a bit cooked for the last mile, had to pull back the pace bit but still did OK. Odd thing was, when we hit 3 miles (and I was waiting for it about to keel over) the bloody thing didn't stop, nothing happened, I just had to keep stumbling along. I hit stop manually, but there was no screen to show whether I'd made the cut, all that happened was the standard screen appeared, with your average pace and distance covered etc.

Suffice to say I was pretty pissed at that, so I found the nearest submarine I could and beat the living shit out of everyone on board.

I see you found my picture.

Finally got what you meant after thinking about it.

Can't say it's ever really annoyed me, as they generally do a few reps then move.

It's not something you think about until it happens to you.

If someone's going to do an exercise in front of the mirror (we all do), take a couple of steps back from the dumbbells so people can walk by/have access to the dumbbells.

This situation annoyed me because there was a bench and a row of machines directly behind this bloke. I had to walk all the way around to get access to a dumbbell originally two feet away from me.

If someone's going to do an exercise in front of the mirror (we all do), take a couple of steps back from the dumbbells so people can walk by/have access to the dumbbells.

This situation annoyed me because there was a bench and a row of machines directly behind this bloke. I had to walk all the way around to get access to a dumbbell originally two feet away from me.
Just think of the extra calories you burned

I have started going to a public gym recently. Generally I like the place but there are things that annoy me.

The music, Milkshake is not a gym song neither is most of the other stuff they play.
Plates never get packed away, almost impossible to find 2.5 and 5 kg plates.
People who super set when the gym is busy.
People who leave loaded bars in the squat racks, it’s hard to tell if they’re still being used or not.
Chalk isn’t allowed I don’t know why gyms don’t like chalk.
People who put their phone on one bench and use another bench.

Apart from those minor complaints the gym is good. There are 5 squat racks, a deadlift platform and enough barbells.

I thought about this (and this thread!) on the weekend as I was performing shoulder stuff in front of the dumb bell rack. I think most people move back allowing a pathway for other patrons to access weights.

You know what shits me at the moment? My gym has undergone changes including renovations. Where the dumbbells reside there is now no mirror! Standing there executing exercises such as shoulder press unable to look at yourself is strange and feels weird. There is a mirror adjacent to the racks, however there is other equipment there including a squat rack.

Does anyone feel a bit awkward if someone is doing say squats and you stand say behind on a slight angle doing your own stuff whilst both looking into the mirror. Looks and feels like you are looking at each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plates never get packed away, almost impossible to find 2.5 and 5 kg plates.

You're talking about dudes in their teens/20's who's mummy still probably picks up after them.

Chalk isn’t allowed I don’t know why gyms don’t like chalk.

It's pretty simple, chalk leaves a mess everywhere. Would you take a damp towel and clean up after yourself?

You're talking about dudes in their teens/20's who's mummy still probably picks up after them.

It's pretty simple, chalk leaves a mess everywhere. Would you take a damp towel and clean up after yourself?
A little bit of chalk on hands isn’t that messy and is fairly easy to clean off a barbell once finished.

A little bit of chalk on hands isn’t that messy and is fairly easy to clean off a barbell once finished.

If it's not that messy and patrons cleaned up after themselves gym's wouldn't ban it. You think they make rules like this just to piss people off?

If it's not that messy and patrons cleaned up after themselves gym's wouldn't ban it. You think they make rules like this just to piss people off?
No abviously rules aren’t made just to piss people off. Gyms need to maintain a level of cleanliness for their own reputation and the satisfaction of their clients. The banning of chalk is just something I’ve noticed in more gyms these days. I would argue that chalk is better for safety on heavy squats, deadlifts and presses.

its laziness as much as anything
they can't be bothered policing it or teaching people how to use it properly so they just ban it
people use chalk at my gym, you get the odd little mess, nothing a quick vacuum wouldn't clean up, don't see the big deal, far worse things happen at gyms that a bit of chalk getting left on the floor in a weights area

Lost my gym book - it was absolutely trashed and the cover had fallen off but it had my last 4 years of lifting in there.... bit annoying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back