Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if they think they’re doing it correctly because they know no better?

Remind me to never pull up to a lady on the freeway struggling with a flat tyre because it’s up to them to call a mechanic or whatever, or to never report a crime I witnessed because that’s the cops job to follow up.
Stupid ******* comparison but anyway..
Its the same thing, lol.

Just whatever. Be a busy body if you like around the gym.

Helping ppl on the side of the road or reporting a crime, is. Not. The. Same. *******. Thing. Jesus christ
What is the difference between helping someone change a tire and helping someone lift weights in a way that they aren’t going to hurt themselves?

You’re helping someone do something that they don’t know how to do, it’s the same ****ing thing.

And if they think they’re doing it correctly because they know no better?

Remind me to never pull up to a lady on the freeway struggling with a flat tyre because it’s up to them to call a mechanic or whatever, or to never report a crime I witnessed because that’s the cops job to follow up.
This has to be a troll.

I disagree, it’s the manner in which the approacher does the approaching.

“Hey mate, just a second! You’re doing those deadlifts wrong and you’re going to hurt yourself because of your back being curved like a banana, haha. Let me show you how you should be doing it, make sure to pull your armpits to the ground and engage your lats before starting the lift....etc”

Sounds a shit load better than

“Oi ya dickhead, that’s not how its done”.
I can see it both ways as I have thought of doing this in the gym. Even though you are trying to do the right thing you aren't being paid or even requested to advise someone on their form etc. in the gym. Also you don't know their personality and how they would take the unwarranted advice. One person may be genuinely appreciative to receive the advice while others may get defensive or more. You would want to make sure you are giving the right advice if you are not a PT or have not studied it. Maybe the cues I give to the person may work for me but are going to confuse them and make it worse? Most likely I won’t be there the next time they attempt it so I don’t know how it’s being interpreted. I don’t know I just err on not getting involved.

If someone asks me for advice I will give some feedback, I think 3-4 times in last 12 months I’ve had guys come upto me and ask for advice on difference exercises. But i don’t go out of my way to correct anyone’s form; that’s their business.

Back in- lmao what is this the 80s before mobile phones. Trust me no man will ever need to help me changing a tyre, ever. Thing called the RACV dunno if you ever heard of it before. ..
I used RACV late at night for a flat battery in Perth and they took over an hour to turn up.

I used RACV late at night for a flat battery in Perth and they took over an hour to turn up.

Yeah depends on how busy they are. I've had to call them twice- but ive been at work, and another two times, ive been at home.

Never been "stuck by the side of the road" kind of thing. So yeah waiting for them, I havent minded tbh.

Back in- lmao what is this the 80s before mobile phones. Trust me no man will ever need to help me changing a tyre, ever. Thing called the RACV dunno if you ever heard of it before. ..
So you would turn down someone pulling over to help you change a tyre, while you wait on the person from RACV to arrive to change it for you?

My sides are bursting, but okay.
I can see it both ways as I have thought of doing this in the gym. Even though you are trying to do the right thing you aren't being paid or even requested to advise someone on their form etc. in the gym. Also you don't know their personality and how they would take the unwarranted advice. One person may be genuinely appreciative to receive the advice while others may get defensive or more. You would want to make sure you are giving the right advice if you are not a PT or have not studied it. Maybe the cues I give to the person may work for me but are going to confuse them and make it worse? Most likely I won’t be there the next time they attempt it so I don’t know how it’s being interpreted. I don’t know I just err on not getting involved.
If I see someone deadlifting like this: 2F12C098-CD3D-46A1-A237-48F9990E4B59.jpeg

I’m going to say something. If it’s a minor thing I’ll leave them be but if I see the above then I’ll be bringing it to their attention as they probably don’t know better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you would turn down someone pulling over to help you change a tyre, while you wait on the person from RACV to arrive to change it for you?

If I see someone deadlifting like this: View attachment 600209

I’m going to say something. If it’s a minor thing I’ll leave them be but if I see the above then I’ll be bringing it to their attention as they probably don’t know better.

Mate. Some random guy pulling over to help me, i actually would not like that. Esp if i was on my own. I'd have nfi who the hell he was :rolleyes:

Mate. Some random guy pulling over to help me, i actually would not like that. Esp if i was on my own. I'd have nfi who the hell he was :rolleyes:
Who says it has to be a guy? For the comparison it doesn’t have to be a guy.

A female pulls over to help you change a tyre.

A female also helps you correct your form in the gym.

Same thoughts of the situations or still not happy?

If I see someone deadlifting like this: View attachment 600209

The deadlift is a complex movement. Sometimes people will think their back is straight when it isn’t. Are you prepared to stay with them til they iron out all their problems? Sometimes giving them a cue will cause them to lose focus on something else that is important. May not be as simple as saying something to them. Kudos to you I don’t see it as a flog move btw.

Best thing to say may be to lower the weight or watch an Alan Thrall video or something but I still think it’s a Pandora’s box.

And FWIW- a woman was r*ped by a man in that exact scenario- in NSW last month.
People get bashed and have cars stolen in similar situations, also the cases of females acting as ‘birds in distress’ and when someone pulls over to help its a trap. It’s society nowadays. This is going severely off topic though.

The deadlift is a complex movement. Sometimes people will think their back is straight when it isn’t. Are you prepared to stay with them til they iron out all their problems? Sometimes giving them a cue will cause them to lose focus on something else that is important. May not be as simple as saying something to them. Kudos to you I don’t see it as a flog move btw.

Best thing to say may be to lower the weight or watch an Alan Thrall video or something but I still think it’s a Pandora’s box.
I’m not going to stay with them but I’d show them a quick video that I can find on correct form and get them to hit the straight rather than curved back at least once while I’m there, probably tell them to drop the weight back to for example 5KG bumper plates and for them to video themselves so they can see what they are doing in between sets.

Beyond that they can hire a coach or get some lessons, I’d personally rather that I said something than allow them to lift incorrectly on a lift that is dangerous to the lower back if not done correctly, and taking into account that they also would have no clue they are doing it incorrectly if they are just starting. Just my thoughts on it.

Just whatever. Be a busy body if you like around the gym.

Helping ppl on the side of the road or reporting a crime, is. Not. The. Same. *******. Thing. Jesus christ

In all three scenarios you have a conscious decision as to whether you help someone or not.
Apparently helping someone in the gym is abominable whilst helping people in public isn’t.

As someone who hopes to be considered one of these newbies soon I would welcome intervention from strangers with a clue and a helpful approach. People in the corner looking down their nose, probably compiling a list to complain about on the internet after they're done who think I must pay for x amount of PT sessions I can't afford before I'm deemed bearable in their presence certainly wouldn't be welcoming.

Common decency is usually pretty easy to spot in people though, as is the self cebteted type.

You ask them if they want to lift with you.
If they say yes you’ve got a training partner (which is always better than training alone unless they’re ****ing useless) and you can just “coach” them between your sets.
If they say no at least you’ve offered and you just move on.

People get bashed and have cars stolen in similar situations, also the cases of females acting as ‘birds in distress’ and when someone pulls over to help its a trap. It’s society nowadays. This is going severely off topic though.

Didn’t you make the comparison originally?

Fwiw they aren’t even remotely similar and all the good intentions in the world you’re still gonna come across as a know it all flog “correcting” someone’s form without prompt. Stopping to assist someone whose tyre is flat isn’t even partially similar because the context and approach are different.

Tyre situation “hey mate do you need a hand” it’s their option to say yes or no. Lifting situation “hey you know you shouldn’t lift like that (or any variation) isn’t giving them an option.

Do what you like but if you approach me with my headphones on and my clear “I don’t want your advice” look and I’ll think youre a Dickhead.

As someone who hopes to be considered one of these newbies soon I would welcome intervention from strangers with a clue and a helpful approach. People in the corner looking down their nose, probably compiling a list to complain about on the internet after they're done who think I must pay for x amount of PT sessions I can't afford before I'm deemed bearable in their presence certainly wouldn't be welcoming.
I don’t know what you’re getting into or if you have any interests but if you want help with technique and form I highly recommend following australianstrengthcoach and coacheugenetao on Instagram.

https://ganbarumethod.com/

Also Eugene has created this website that has heeeeaps of videos and information on the gym and health and form for lifts and weight movements. It’s $10 a month but currently has a free week before your first payment so you can cancel if it’s not your thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back