Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

So you'd win this competition then wouldn't you?
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131051613&highlight=pull+ups+competition

I assume you aren't doing them right because 50 proper pullups is ridiculous, do you lock your elbows at the top with your chin over the bar? do you come to a complete dead hang before you start each rep?
If you aren't, then most would consider it cheating.

Do you use momentum? I would almost guarantee you do for 50, surely you realise its far more beneficial slowly controlling your pullups (specifically for the negative of the rep), feeling the muscles contract more etc. rather than doing it in a way designed to impress people with the amount of reps you do.

No, I wouldn't win that competition. The first poster has under his username "Max reps: 43". Mine is 22. Are you daft?

I never said I do 50 straight but in 4 sets with the first being (17 currently, 22 my pb).

Thanks for playing.

Yeh I have used it, very nice. Rings are a hell of a lot cheaper. If I were to buy that sorta thing I would somehow get blast straps, metal handles look very sturdy.

For some reason they have come down a lot on ebay and you can get them for under $100 now.

I just love the portability of the TRX - mine goes everywhere with me, even on holidays:D

Those blast straps look pretty good though, I havent seen them before.

When you look for them, search suspension trainer.
For some reason they dont list as TRX, but they are genuine TRX.
You wanna make sure they come with the door jamb attachment too, they are handy as!!

Went to the gym this morning.

I'm resting in between sets when a bloke asks me for a spot on the preacher curls.

"Sure" I say.

He proceeds to do all of 2 reps. Slams down the weight and walks off and not even a "thanks" or "cheers".

We crossed paths probably 3 more times during my workout and not a word.

Poor form in my book.

Went to the gym this morning.

I'm resting in between sets when a bloke asks me for a spot on the preacher curls.

"Sure" I say.

He proceeds to do all of 2 reps. Slams down the weight and walks off and not even a "thanks" or "cheers".

We crossed paths probably 3 more times during my workout and not a word.

Poor form in my book.

maybe he didnt appreciate you winking at him during sets

I was already smirking at this point...

I can't see why..

I don't mind a spot for these sort of isolation exercises. Get out 8-10 yourself then push for those extra ones with the help of a spot ensuring you're in full control of the negative.

Using a spot to smash out half a dozen or less is a joke though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find when doing preacher curls, it's only the last rep I'll need a spot on, and if I were to go any further I'd be rooted. I'd never keep going past that point.

Having said that, I always go to the gym with a mate, we spot each other on most exercises, but when it comes to the preacher curl I generally just let it go if I can't get it.

Either way, the guy is clearly just a prick. End of story.

Not sure if srs

Never heard of negative failure, champ?

Edit - I do my arms in the last 20 minutes I have left after shoulders.. Believe me they are going to cop a pounding and the easiest way to do that is to work to failure.

Never heard of negative failure, champ?

Edit - I do my arms in the last 20 minutes I have left after shoulders.. Believe me they are going to cop a pounding and the easiest way to do that is to work to failure.
Maybe you were talking about preacher curls specifically(never done them so wouldn't know) and not lifts in general; but having a spot on lower reps is more essential to having a spot on higher reps. The main reason for spotting, in my books, is to get the weight off you if you fail. You are more likely to fail, and less prepared when failing, if you are lifting low reps.

Maybe you were talking about preacher curls specifically(never done them so wouldn't know) and not lifts in general; but having a spot on lower reps is more essential to having a spot on higher reps. The main reason for spotting, in my books, is to get the weight off you if you fail. You are more likely to fail, and less prepared when failing, if you are lifting low reps.

For strength training yes, ideally that's what a spot is for. In terms of muscle gains a spot can assist you to get to complete failure.

Then how come you said for <6 reps a spot isn't needed. :confused:

Meh, I'm over it. Continue the thread please folks

Over what?

The whole topic was preacher curls. Why would you need a spot for less than 6 of them, like the story stated before?

Whats the difference between trying to get complete failure on 5 reps or 12 reps?

It's not complete failure from 5 reps...

You're clearly lifting too much for a preacher curl, if you were to reduce the weight you could pump out plenty more.

It's up to the person I guess, if you get kicks out of lifting big weights in front of strangers in the gym then by all means go for it!

It's not complete failure from 5 reps...

You're clearly lifting too much for a preacher curl, if you were to reduce the weight you could pump out plenty more.

It's up to the person I guess, if you get kicks out of lifting big weights in front of strangers in the gym then by all means go for it!

I dunno about that, I still try to mix up my rep ranges, even for isolation exercises.

I find when I preacher curl a certain amount (say 30kgs), I know I can get out 10 reps for 3 sets (for someone else it might be 12, whatever). If I do go up to 35 however, I'll only get ~6-8, and especially only the 3rd set I'll be failing.

Again, I personally don't like being spotted if I can avoid it and really use it for the initial set-up in an exercise or for safety. Having said that, I certainly don't add an additional 2.5kg plate each side of a bar to impress people, but it would dramatically reduce my rep range.

I guess this is still personal preference and do understand people saying regardless of whether it's the 6th or the 12th rep, if you need a spot you need a spot. I also question whether you need a spot for a preacher curl. Either way, to each their own :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Back