Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Moreso when they talk to me.
I like to train with intensity and some guys just yap.
It's like this is their boys time and want to swap stories!!

Also I hate when people don't derack the weights after heavy lifts.

Or when people take base weights off certain weights (EZ bar, Olympic bar, bench bar etc)

I hate the radio station at my gym.

I hate that there is no air con.

I hate when inecperienced spotters take the weight too early when I clearly had it!

U mad brah.

how do inexperienced spotters know when to/not to take the weight?
It's a pretty simple concept.

When the weight is at a standstill or heading backwards, a simple nudge in the right direction is ample.

Can't stand a spotter who sees me struggling and takes the weight. I mean, when I'm testing 1RM there's a fair chance I'm going to struggle with the weight even if I can push it or not. Just don't take the weight until it's obvious I'm not going to do it by myself. And don't think that because I can't do it, it needs all your assistance. Just use provide enough help so that I am recruiting all my muscle fibres.

When it's on his neck is usually a good time.

i guess so, unless you're b scalabrine or c frye. only they can power on.

When the weight is at a standstill or heading backwards, a simple nudge in the right direction is ample.

Can't stand a spotter who sees me struggling and takes the weight. I mean, when I'm testing 1RM there's a fair chance I'm going to struggle with the weight even if I can push it or not. Just don't take the weight until it's obvious I'm not going to do it by myself. And don't think that because I can't do it, it needs all your assistance. Just use provide enough help so that I am recruiting all my muscle fibres.

good points - especially the first sentence. spotters need to realise their role to assist in the slightest.

when i'm struggling i usually tell the spotter so and he'll assist. sometimes he does interrupt and i provide feedback - i.e. i was ok, next time let me crunch out 2-3 more.

do you let the spotter know that youre not happy?

You either get the weight or you don't imo. You want your spotter to take (lets say) 2% of the weight on rep 1, then 3% on rep 2, then 5% on rep 3 etc etc. Aint gunna happen. You are a douche.
If you are talking just 1RM. Well it isnt your 1RM if you didnt do it 100% yourself.

Nope.
I am talking about the bodybuilding singlets not simple sleeveless tops like footy jumpers and normal singlets.

I am talking about the ones that have the huge cutouts on the shoulders and around the front of the neck to allow everyone else to see how "massive" your shoulders and pecs are.
I really dont get them, even on huge guys, might as well train with your top off cause they hide very little!!
I'd kick out any bloke who wants to show off their nips; or rock around in bike shorts with nothing over the top.
Or any bird rocking out with a camel toe.
That shit ain't cool.

You either get the weight or you don't imo. You want your spotter to take (lets say) 2% of the weight on rep 1, then 3% on rep 2, then 5% on rep 3 etc etc. Aint gunna happen. You are a douche.
If you are talking just 1RM. Well it isnt your 1RM if you didnt do it 100% yourself.
I read 'testing 1RM' as 'testing what my 1RM is'.
ie, loading more weight on each time and seeing if he could do it.

Whoa whoa, easy there cowboy. Maybe if you didn't understand what I was saying you should've asked before calling me a douche.

If I'm testing my 1RM, I'm going up in small weight increments at the top. Let's say for arguments sake that last month I knocked out 150 on the bench.

I do my warm up sets and I'm getting up to near my old 1RM. I knock out 145 for a rep, no spot, no troubles. I skip 147.5 and chuck on 150 and knock that out, no spot, no troubles again.

I decide that I reckon I can jump an increment again and get 155. So I put that on the bench, and go to town on it. This time I bench it, no spot, but not without a bit of effort.

So I go up to 157.5 and try for a rep. However, half way up, I begin to stall. The bar ain't moving and I'm giving it everything. What I want the spotter to do, is not to grab the bar and take it but to put their finger tips underneath and just lightly get it moving. For my benefit. That way I know how far off I am, I know that if I were to come back next week, I'd probably get that PB.

Comprende?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoa whoa, easy there cowboy. Maybe if you didn't understand what I was saying you should've asked before calling me a douche.

If I'm testing my 1RM, I'm going up in small weight increments at the top. Let's say for arguments sake that last month I knocked out 150 on the bench.

I do my warm up sets and I'm getting up to near my old 1RM. I knock out 145 for a rep, no spot, no troubles. I skip 147.5 and chuck on 150 and knock that out, no spot, no troubles again.

I decide that I reckon I can jump an increment again and get 155. So I put that on the bench, and go to town on it. This time I bench it, no spot, but not without a bit of effort.

So I go up to 157.5 and try for a rep. However, half way up, I begin to stall. The bar ain't moving and I'm giving it everything. What I want the spotter to do, is not to grab the bar and take it but to put their finger tips underneath and just lightly get it moving. For my benefit. That way I know how far off I am, I know that if I were to come back next week, I'd probably get that PB.

Comprende?

I comprehende

When people ask me to spot i normally ask them what their expectations are of me so there are no issues.

I ask:
- how many reps they are aiming for.
- if they need assistance getting it into the starting position
- if they want me to grab/assist the weight
- if they are going to tell me or just let me take it when they stall

Never any issues then.

Although this just reminded me of something that happened a few months ago and just remembered it happened now.

I was doing dumbbell bench press on my last (heavy) set. On my last rep i try to go to near-failure, so started pushing it out and was very very slowly moving it upwards.

The guy on the bench next to me jumps up and before i knew it tries to spot me. Only problem was he spotted only one of my arms and gave it a pretty decent push (not just a light assist). So pretty much put me totally off balance and i almost dropped the weights and had to abort the rep.

One of the main reasons i go to almost-failure on the dumbbells is i know i can just drop them next to me if i fail without any safety issues.

I'd kick out any bloke who wants to show off their nips; or rock around in bike shorts with nothing over the top.
Or any bird rocking out with a camel toe.
That shit ain't cool.
I find it quite fetching on the right girl :)

It can be annoying if spotters haven't listened to any instructions given before you start.
But they are doing the lifter a favour, their first priority should be keeping the person safe over massaging their ego, and they are not always mind readers.

I don't use spotters and hate being asked, but do it anyway.

Comprende?
You got 155. You already know you arent far off 157.5.
Having the spotter spot how you want to isnt going to make a difference.
Or do you have a scientific device that can measure that the spotter took exactly 0.4563 of the weight thus meaning you are in fact 0.4563 off getting the 1.57.5.
Because unless you do have such a device don't get mad at the spotter for taking a weight off you when its pointless.

If anyone is bored jump on my gyms YouTube channel

TheIronFactory

A couple of big lifts from some of the boys
505lb deadlift
420lb bench press
200lb clean and standing press

Remove this Banner Ad

Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Back