Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
I think that post is a nonsense. Liked your previous two though. Of course we can judge the posts of others as disrespectful. Doc's post smacked of disrespect. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.
Thanks Apples.
I don’t have any issue with the view that this should be Buckley’s last season. It’s the disrespect and insults that I can’t stand. Buckley has given his all to the club and deserves to be treated with more respect, even on an Internet forum.

No, but he's a loser though - at team level.
Lots and lots of individual awards.....

Loser is a label and all it's putting on display is a personal dislike and an inability to assess our situation fairly.

Buckley has coached good and bad games during his tenure but I believe it's time for a couple of reasons.

He has been at the helm for too long, and the toll that the last 2 years will have taken on his personal life.

The team needs a fresh start.

I think that post is a nonsense. Liked your previous two though. Of course we can judge the posts of others as disrespectful. Doc's post smacked of disrespect. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.
Quite happy for people to call me disrespectful, because I've lost all respect for him as a coach. If his name wasn't Nathan Buckley, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because he'd be long gone.
His name is irrelevant, the club comes first.

Loser is a label and all it's putting on display is a personal dislike and an inability to assess our situation fairly.

Buckley has coached good and bad games during his tenure but I believe it's time for a couple of reasons.

He has been at the helm for too long, and the toll that the last 2 years will have taken on his personal life.

Personal dislike - not sure if I do or I don't.
What I do know though is that he got this job because of who he is, not by doing the hard yards like other assistant coaches.
He didn't get sacked at the end of 2017 because of who he is, not because of the "independent review".
Now is the time.
=<18 games to go.

The problem with the “it’s time” view is that the club would have to sack him. I doubt very much they are prepared to do this.

It’s more likely that Buckley will be told his contract will not be renewed and will be asked to select youth in preparation for 2022. Buckley would either agree to this or resign.

The problem with the “it’s time” view is that the club would have to sack him. I doubt very much they are prepared to do this.

It’s more likely that Buckley will be told his contract will not be renewed and will be asked to select youth in preparation for 2022. Buckley would either agree to this or resign.
I agree that this is what will happen. I just don't agree that this is what should happen.

The third option is the club will give Bucks the tap on the shoulder and explain that he can ‘step down’. That way it looks like Bucks chose to go.

What I do know though is that he got this job because of who he is, not by doing the hard yards like other assistant coaches.
He didn't get sacked at the end of 2017 because of who he is, not because of the "independent review".
Now is the time.
=<18 games to go.

North were willing to give him the coaching job. Most untried coaches get the job for who they are, as they lack a track record. Fair point about him not doing a long apprenticeship. Best we avoid bringing up the mentor he was supposed to have.

In hindsight I hope the club did things slightly differently, I suspect we all might.

I did not suggest ending his coaching career today.and agree/hope that the club gives him the same opportunity Shaw got.

I agree that this is what will happen. I just don't agree that this is what should happen.
If the club sack him they have to pay out his contract and put either Harvey or Sanderson in charge. How on earth anyone can think this is the best option is bewildering.

Add in the PR disaster a sacking would create. Far better for Buckley to see out his contract.

The third option is the club will give Bucks the tap on the shoulder and explain that he can ‘step down’. That way it looks like Bucks chose to go.
Do they still pay out his contract?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now is the time.
=<18 games to go.

give it a rest Doc - he was retained in 2017 because the players wanted him.

How does his record look since then?
How does that record stack up against other Coaches in that time?

You are being obstinate to a fault and it’s clearly a personal dislike.

give it a rest Doc - he was retained in 2017 because the players wanted him.

How does his record look since then?
How does that record stack up against other Coaches in that time?

You are being obstinate to a fault and it’s clearly a personal dislike.
Since 2017 it's been
2018 no flag
2019 no flag
2020 no flag
2021 no flag

That's 4 wasted years so far, but if you want to count the shouldas, or couldas, or wouldhavs then thats your choice. Myself. I like to win flags and Buckley isn't going to do it for me

Since 2017 it's been
2018 no flag
2019 no flag
2020 no flag
2021 no flag

That's 4 wasted years so far, but if you want to count the shouldas, or couldas, or wouldhavs then thats your choice. Myself. I like to win flags and Buckley isn't going to do it for me

virtually every Club has wasted their time on their Coach on that metric.
Your depth of analysis is childish.

Now look what you made me do

2012 no flag
2013 no flag
2014 no flag
2015 no flag
2016 no flag
2017 no flag

If you are happy with near enough then that's your choice. Who cares what other clubs have achieved and why do we have to agree with your assessment that near enough is good enough?
If you think wanting to win flags is childish then that's your opinion. You will never convince the majority that bucks is a good coach.

Since 2017 it's been
2018 no flag
2019 no flag
2020 no flag
2021 no flag

Have to ask why you barrack for Collingwood? We don’t have a strong record of winning flags. Mick lost 3, Hafey lost 4, Rose lost 3. Were they all wasted years too?

Now look what you made me do

2012 no flag
2013 no flag
2014 no flag
2015 no flag
2016 no flag
2017 no flag

If you are happy with near enough then that's your choice. Who cares what other clubs have achieved and why do we have to agree with your assessment that near enough is good enough?
If you think wanting to win flags is childish then that's your opinion. You will never convince the majority that bucks is a good coach.

so many here think he shouldn’t have been reappointed in 2017.

2018 - 2nd Ranked Coach - by final ladder position
2019 - equal 3 rd Ranked Coach by final ladder position
2020 - 6th Ranked Coach by final ladder position
2021 - unknown.

That’s a factual, and unbiased assessment of his Coaching.
Any person saying he can’t Coach is clearly ignoring the facts.

Last edited:
so many here think he shouldn’t have been reappointed in 2017.

2018 - 2nd Ranked Coach - by final ladder position
2019 - equal 3 rd Ranked Coach by final ladder position
2020 - 6th Ranked Coach by final ladder position
2021 - unknown.

That’s a factual, and unbiased assessment of his Coaching.
Any person saying he can’t Coach is clearly ignoring the facts.
I might be on my own, but I found 2019 to be his worst year of coaching. He went from an attacking team for a 1/4 of domination to 3/4 of defending. I couldn't stand watching us 2019.

The preliminary final against GWS was his worst game.

I might be on my own, but I found 2019 to be his worst year of coaching. He went from an attacking team for a 1/4 of domination to 3/4 of defending. I couldn't stand watching us 2019.

The preliminary final against GWS was his worst game.

We would be falling overselves and hysterical with delight to see a resume for the Coaching job with results as good as Buckley’s since 2017.
That’s why the vehement critics ( not you) but Doc etc., look foolish.

No applicant for the Coaching job will have a better record than Buckley- unless it’s Clarkson.

We would be falling overselves and hysterical with delight to see a resume for the Coaching job with results as good as Buckley’s since 2017.
That’s why the vehement critics ( not you) but Doc etc., look foolish.

No applicant will have a better record than Buckley- unless it’s Clarkson.
As much as I support Bucks, I believe this will be his last year. I would like to see him bring in as many young players as possible, and to encourage the team to enjoy playing the game.

As much as I support Bucks, I believe this will be his last year. I would like to see him bring in as many young players as possible, and to encourage the team to enjoy playing the game.

I am also on record as saying it’s his last year.
So my support here is to dispel the foolish and biased views of the haters who can’t see the wood from the trees.

North were willing to give him the coaching job. Most untried coaches get the job for who they are, as they lack a track record. Fair point about him not doing a long apprenticeship. Best we avoid bringing up the mentor he was supposed to have.

In hindsight I hope the club did things slightly differently, I suspect we all might.
Interestingly Buckley in his book states a preference to separate playing/coaching into stages, to play at one club, be an assistant coach at another and coach at a third club. He’s a very considered person; seemingly his love for Collingwood trumped his preferred coaching structure.

Depth of analysis? Do you deliberately avoid departmentalizing a season.. adding variables.. or when it suits you.. coming up with some ridiculous formula that would have seen us make top 4 last yr? Great how you dodged the Scott/Buckley question last yr as well.

You manipulate data/stats/results to your liking.. and the balls back in your court?

What is current coaching form by the way? Is it 2018-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back