Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
I realised today that I no longer care whether we win or lose, I used to be so passionate about the club and our players and that real burn in your guts when you lost, and that real hope and optimism when we won and won well.
Now lets be really honest apart from 2 years of Buckley's tenure that feeling of nothingness has engulfed the club, we have accepted mediocrity in all areas of our game plan, issues off the ground, list management, and most of all our coaching panel.

The people who make the decisions have asked us to swallow garbage for the best part of ten years trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, why?
because it secures their jobs, their place at the club and those around them and too many members and supporters have accepted it for too long, we are the enablers.
Is Bucks a good match day coach? No, is he a good coach? No, the game plan is awful, was awful and has always been awful, people will point to our GF and finals wins, newsflash! this team was stacked with so much talent and ability we got as far as what we did despite the game style and coaching not because of it.
We are talking two good years as well not 10 remember, Half of Big Footy could coach against Bucks and his boys club and be successful, he has a defensive and ultra safe way of coaching in style and set up but asks the players to move the footy in such a manner that turning it over in a matter of time.

Buckley has fooled so many supporters, members, media and administration with clever sounding cliche's and a rambling analysis of everything with stat's to back it up.
The issues in style and movement are a consistent theme of his 10 or so years and not isolated to the last 2 years, those with long memories will agree.
I have nothing personal against the guy, he's a club legend after all but simply put, he could never coach up to the level of most other coaches, the really good ones would have had that list winning flags absolutely no doubt about that.
The club now needs to show some respect to all members and supporters and say "Sorry Bucks, not good enough" and try and get the club back to a position of respectability and demand excellence.
We are Collingwood not bloody North or St Kilda! although you wouldn't know it, 10 years we have been let down by everyone at the place not just Bucks and to see so many supporters actually not really caring or even showing up lies with nobody but the club.

So his loyal band of crazies is down to just 1 Lone Ranger now?
“He helped us, and we don't even know his name. Who was that masked man?"
"Don't you know? He's the Lone Ranger!"

I just don’t get the hate against him Maggie. He’s given so much to the club.
Yeah, he probably won’t be coach next year. But why are people so disrespectful?
I have been on here since 2010 and lurking previous years. I too don't get it.

Sure he has made mistakes but the dislike is strange although I think some still hang on to the MM years and can't forgive him for not standing down and giving MM another year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko couldn't even coach his team to a single point in the first quarter today. Not trying to make any point with that observation but just struck me in terms of the current discussions around the influence of head coaches on match day.

What really bites for me is what he said this week.
Something along the lines of " if I still had a 2 year to go on my contact I would still be coaching the same "
The definition of insanity
That quote got my attention as well.

Just proves he has to go.

I just don’t get the hate against him Maggie. He’s given so much to the club.
Yeah, he probably won’t be coach next year. But why are people so disrespectful?

There's not many if any that hate Nathan, the hate is how the team is / has performed under him. The disrespect is called being emotional and human, understandably so.

Fan Boy! Man I love this sh*t, so awesome.
Fan boy? I think he is Buckley himself. No one else can have his head so much hidden in the sand not to see reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back