Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Another example of the genius game plan today by Bucks. Take the mark and then stand there watching the grass grow for a minute before deciding to move the ball on.

Why would you want to play on quickly giving yourself the advantage when you can allow the opposition to get back in numbers. Doesn’t hurt our chances at all.

Fans have turned off as well. After the 2nd lowest crowd in 33 years at the G a few weeks ago against Gold Coast, went even lower today. Thankfully there were a fair few Port supporters to prop up the numbers.

Another example of the genius game plan today by Bucks. Take the mark and then stand there watching the grass grow for a minute before deciding to move the ball on.

Why would you want to play on quickly giving yourself the advantage when you can allow the opposition to get back in numbers. Doesn’t hurt our chances at all.

Fans have turned off as well. After the 2nd lowest crowd in 33 years at the G a few weeks ago against Gold Coast, went even lower today. Thankfully there were a fair few Port supporters to prop up the numbers.
But apparently, we have 80,000 members. They have spoken, they are not showing up to watch this boring drivel.

Maybe we watched a different game to some of you. We didn't take our chances in front of goal; and it wasn't just Callum Brown. That Crisp shot after the siren was a shocker. I thought we were very good defensively. We were well coached today - we had a plan to starve them of quick movement and it worked pretty well. Plenty of teams will take this method into consideration going forward. The tactics worked well, but coaches can't take the kicks for goal and that was the difference. At any rate, there were enough positives today for me to see some light in what will be a long rebuilding year.

I suppose Port's 11 behind the stick jobs don't count.. yeah? Or the amount of times they buggered it up moving it forward? Silly errors.. no?

The whole idea is to put yourself in the best position to win games.. did we do that.. no! Who's to blame for that.. a one Mr Nathan Charles Buckley.

I thought we were very good defensively. We were well coached today - we had a plan to starve them of quick movement and it worked pretty well. Plenty of teams will take this method into consideration going forward. The tactics worked well, but coaches can't take the kicks for goal and that was the difference. At any rate, there were enough positives today for me to see some light in what will be a long rebuilding year.
Unfortunately we starve ourselves of quick ball movement without the oppositions help as it’s fully self inflicted via coaching orders.

Also the reason why opposition teams are never out of it against us, because instead of going in for the kill when in winning positions, it’a hope we hang on when they finally get on top.

Happened against Brisbane, Swans and now Port. Déjà vu. As the season wears on, eventually teams will get the jump on us early and run away with games as we can’t keep on holding them back week after week.

I suppose Port's 11 behind the stick jobs don't count.. yeah? Or the amount of times they buggered it up moving it forward? Silly errors.. no?

The whole idea is to put yourself in the best position to win games.. did we do that.. no! Who's to blame for that.. a one Mr Nathan Charles Buckley.
Radical idea-coach responsible for performance

ken hinkley saying positive things about buckley in the press conference... what the hell does he know? probably being dishonest like most port people....

The day is not far away when Pies fans start booing Bucks. That will be one of the darkest days for this great club. Hope he will leave before that happens

The best advice I've ever received from anyone when I was playing soccer was from my dad.. 'Ti phobase re - What are you scared of'.

Take the game on re.. go out and play mate. You dictate the terms. And what will be will be. Hold your head up high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus, old Nostradamus might be onto something hey No Spin

Games decided by 6 points or less, since 2018:

3 wins
8 losses
1 draw

25% win rate… One win in every 4 games decided by 6 points or less is pathetic. Any other club would sack the coach ASAP.

lets review today’s game

- kick goals in the 1st and try to hold on for dear life (tick)
- play with little to no flare (tick)
- never put the foot on the throat (tick)
- red time goals (tick)
- poor defensive set up and accountability at the stoppage which gave Port their winning goal (tick)
- run around like headless chooks with no direction or clue how to close out a close game (tick)
- never make scoreboard impact (tick)

Hate to say I told ya so No Spin. But well ya know - I told ya so.

When it happens a few times and there’s improvement - then that’s signs of a decent coach.

when it happens time and time again and never changes - then that’s signs the coach ain’t that good. Especially when it happens on the biggest day of his career on the MCG in a grand final.

like I said previously it’s an arbitrary metric.
- games decided by less than 10 points - 2018-2020, - 55% win rate.

We were well coached today

tenor.gif

My only comment on bucks is that over 10 yrs, I think 2018 and leading into the 1st half of 2019 were the only periods I think we played consistently good footy where we moved the ball around and we played more daring football. It was the only period we were able to kick a score.

100% Agree.

Do you give Bucks credit for that successful patch? If so why hasn’t he been able to work that magic more consistently over the last decade as coach?

If not then who gets the credit? What was the magic ingredient behind 2018. Players? Assistants?

I’m no expert but this shit effects my quality of life ffs. It’s a head ****! Wtf has been going on at the Pies?

feel free to pull me into line anytime - just as I’ve done to you
I don't feel pulled into line by you at all- you attach way too much importance to your own posts - way more than anyone else does - you're just another poster- not the head poster/master/ prefect/ sergeant at arms/ commander in chief etc- what makes you think you can pull someone 'into line"? - hilarious really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back