Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Yes, I love Collingwood, and I call him FIGJAM

So, you're wrong, again.
I don’t believe you love Collingwood. I think you are a Dees fan in denial.

You questioning if i love Collingwood? 20 year member.

Guys arrogant in the most subtle way. You are an absolute sheep, thats your problem not mine.
I think you’re a Dees fan too, maybe even Carlton.

You are living breathing proof that IPAs are bad for you
That’s what a Dees fan would say. Enjoy your champagne, hope you lose the GF by 1 point.

1942 (1-10)
1982 (2-9)
1999 (1-10)
2021 (2-9)

The 4 worst starts to a season in Collingwood’s history.
McHale, Hafey/Erwin, Shaw. 50% of that group are all time coaching greats.

You’re going to be disappointed.
Never disappointed as I am a Storm fan as well - amazing the difference a great coach makes.
If Buckley was a good coach he would have been in contact with the Storm and got some of their boys in for tackling tips.
Buckley just seems so arrogant that he think he knows all about coaching but the Win Loss record would beg to differ.
Wrighty in prime position to get Clarko unless the Hawks keep him on to mentor Sam for a year or 2.
We need a coach who will be ruthless and not play guys who cannot play at AFL level.
We need a coach that will teach the players skills before they try to learn a game plan that requires skills to be executed.

Good final qtr but terrible in the the first three, especially the first half.

I'm undecided on jumping on the full blown Dump Bucks bandwagon, mostly cos I'd like to see more holistic review of all areas of failure with a plan to plug those gaps. That pertains to Bucks, but also Assistant Coaches and some of the organisational stuff going on currently.

Pretty keen to see a response from the Footy Club on this, and preferably soon

I could potentially handle a sweep of Harvey and Sanderson with new assistants coming in, but only as the die-hard in me wants to see Bucks get a flag with us. But realist says they all go...

If Bucks doesn't go tonight, sack Wright asap

Steady on Cowboy, Wright has been there 5 minutes, he will do his due diligence of getting to know who is doing what in every facet of the club and how they are applying themselves to the task at hand, he will make the decision/decisions when he has a good knowledge and understanding of where we are not up to the required level as a professional football club, in what has been an annus horribilis period for the club, the one shining light for the club , was the appointment of Wright, he is in the Master Class in what he does, very astute operator.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steady on Cowboy, Wright has been there 5 minutes, he will do his due diligence of getting to know who is doing what in every facet of the club and how they are applying themselves to the task at hand, he will make the decision/decisions when he has a good knowledge and understanding of where are not up to the required level as a professional football club, in what has been an annus horribilis period for the club, the one shining light for the club , was the appointment of Wright, he is in the Master Class in what he does, very astute operator.
Will you still say that if he extends Buckley?

Wright has already marked Buckleys card especially after last week in the coaching box against Port.
I don't think he can release the findings until other people have been signed to replace incumbents that may be going - not just Head coach but assistants as well.

Steady on Cowboy, Wright has been there 5 minutes, he will do his due diligence of getting to know who is doing what in every facet of the club and how they are applying themselves to the task at hand, he will make the decision/decisions when he has a good knowledge and understanding of where are not up to the required level as a professional football club, in what has been an annus horribilis period for the club, the one shining light for the club , was the appointment of Wright, he is in the Master Class in what he does, very astute operator.
Hes had 11 games to use his due diligence. Times up .

The first was during the War, so can be excused.

The next 2 were the last season for that coach, hopefully, history will repeat.
Talking of war-the next war at Cwood should be quite a spectacle..

As a side that's quickly turned from finals contender to developing thanks to list management decisions I like that we're prepared to give players a go in different positions for example Madgen as a defensive forward. Not all will work, but you don't know if you don't try. I also liked that we were flexible and prepared to admit when they didn't work. It was also good to see us throw the names around at half time.

As a side that's quickly turned from finals contender to developing thanks to list management decisions I like that we're prepared to give players a go in different positions for example Madgen as a defensive forward. Not all will work, but you don't know if you don't try. I also liked that we were flexible and prepared to admit when they didn't work. It was also good to see us throw the names around at half time.
De Goey needs to stay in the middle now.

De Goey needs to stay in the middle now.
He looked in career best condition in the preseason, obviously since affected by injury. Hopefully he can get a clean run and build on today's match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back