Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:

Yes, and slow aging players can't spread or get to contests and kids aren't ready to replace them so execution is impossible, ask yourself how everyone's wet dream coach Clarkson is doing at the minute? This is a rebuild, it'll be the same sh*t sandwich no matter the coach, and this coach wasn't the one that f’ed the list

This is the same coach that asked our recruiters to recruit certain types of players, mid types, not KPP's, to build a team that he wanted, he got what he wanted and failed. When he was given a team that has the 2nd highest % in the history of the comp I might add - decided to pull apart and build what he wanted - got us zero.

Not excusing the amatuer hour list / cap management that has compounded our problems, but to suggest Buckley has no accountability is just naive or ignorant.

We shouldn't be in a rebuild in the first place, and we didn't need to 'regenerate' what was possibly a dynasty team 9 years ago either.

We haven't had a proper key forward since Travis Cloke.

We don't have proper KPDs either. That's why we had to witness the insanity of watching Maynard play on Franklin today.

Who created these deficiencies?
Apparently no one is accountable for anything - it's all luck :)

I’ve gone back to supporting Bucks again provided we clean out his supporting coaches! If Clarkson can’t beat Bottom team Norf, then he ain’t the answer either - our cattle is the worst in the AFL and it’s list management that’s should be totally responsible for today’s performance and team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is no answer, we just gotta wait out a what should be an unnecessary rebuild. Buckle up for the next half a decade, then hopefully in another half a decade we snag a flag, keeping in line (or nearly) our once in 20 year flag. Meanwhile the blose, bombouts and the tigs have more - yay!

Why is the club and some supporters so afraid of changing the senior coach?
In the case of the more recalcitrant BF posters it probably comes down to ego. They just can’t bear to admit they were wrong. Some of the diehards reluctantly came to the “it’s time Eddie” conclusion about 7 years too late. I expect the same will apply to their opinion about Bucks. They’ll still be dining out on 2018 in 2028, despite no flags in the interim.

Last edited:
Buckley's brave move of moving De Goey in to our back 50.. and having Mcreery up forward.. on his lonesome.. with half a qrt left.. 3 goals down..

That is the stuff of legend.

He is not a good matchday coach.. he is an absolute legend our FIG.

Last edited:
I've never seen a club dither on the future of the coach the way we have. We endured this crap all year in 2017, before he was renewed and now we're wasting another year distracting ourselves with it again.

The way some of our supporters think, you would think Buckley was in the calibre of Clarkson, Hardwick, Beveridge, Scott or Longmire. He's just a run of the mill average coach who happens to be a playing legend for the club.

The talk of new assistant coaches doesn't cut it for me anymore. Again we changed them up at the end of 2017, and it worked for two years before we regressed and Buckley's mates were retained at the expense of other assistant coaches who were moved on due to football department cuts amidst the fallout of COVID.

Why is the club and some supporters so afraid of changing the senior coach?
Hangover from McGuire era - Ed the dictator never got anything wrong which is a surprise as he had a finger in everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bucks is a quality person, just because you want someone to blame (other than the people that blew 8 1st rounders and the salary cap) doesn't mean he has no integrity
Quality, integrity I don't give a f***. He and the leaders at the club has destroyed the club. I want all of them gone.

Apparently Hine gift raps players.. or they come out of a cake at the Westpac Centre.. then Buckley responds with.. well that's a pleasant surprise.. I would never have thought I'd see you in a Collingwood jumper. Welcome to the club.

Then there's all those players that have left the club.. all Hine!

Sack Hine!

Last edited:
Yes, and slow aging players can't spread or get to contests and kids aren't ready to replace them so execution is impossible, ask yourself how everyone's wet dream coach Clarkson is doing at the minute? This is a rebuild, it'll be the same sh*t sandwich no matter the coach, and this coach wasn't the one that f’ed the list
Rebuilding after what? Hawks are rebuilding after about a decade of dominance. Get real.

Grumpy you don't get to sing "Good Ol' Buckley forever" this week?
I’m not familiar with that song. I’m not grumpy either.
I’ve got quality beer and am cooking hamburgers.

Buckley's brave move of moving De Goey in to our back 50.. and having Mcreery up forward.. on his lonesome.. with half the game to go.. 3 goals down..

That is the stuff of legend.

He is not a good matchday coach.. he is an absolute legend our FIG.
Agreed. Legendary stuff. A trail-blazing master move Ferguson and Mourinho could only ever dream of.

By the end of the season, if he makes it that far, he will be the 8th longest serving coach without a flag in VFL/AFL history. He will be the second longest serving at one club.

But lets give him another extension, its just around the corner.
How long did Mick go at Collingwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back