is geelong the only side in the afl that dosent have a weakness?

Remove this Banner Ad

Quote=i agree with you about the fact that there is the potential for things to go wrong for geelong, but i dont agree with you that geelong dont have the best players

shouldnt players be judge based on how they perform? i mean how can you tell how much natural ability a player has and how woould you know how hard a player works? for all you know WC could work harder than geelong and geelong might just have more ability

players should be judged on how they perform and based on that geelong have the best players

That's a fair enough point, but how come your players weren't as
competitive before Gablett and Bartel became superstars?

Compare Matthew Egan to Setanta O'Hailpin (i am by no means suggesting that these two should be compared in terms of ability)

Because of the dominance of Geelong's midfield Egan will have a lot less contests than O'Hailpin, so if Egan were to let in 3 goals a match and O'Hailpin were to let in 5 goals a match there would be very little difference in who played better.

The same can be said about your forward line, Riewoldt V Mooney...
Mooney kicked 67, Roo kicked 42, but he played 5 less games so we should make it 52.

Again because of the dominance of Geelong's midfield he had a lot more oppurtunities, so even if he has a 30% conversion rate, and Riewoldt had a 60% converstion rate Mooney will still kick more goals....

P.S. don't try and argue with any of the percentages, they're just examples....

Whats the ruck depth like at Geelong now that Stevie Kings gone?

If Ottens went down, it'd be Blake and....:confused:

Blakes a decent ruck who's only gonna get better with time, but still....

Mooney going down would be worse.

Thompson would use Ottens almost exclusively as a forward which is just not his best position.

It'd weaken our forward line and leave our ruck in tatters too.

geelong would of beaten wc and sydney easily, just like most of the experts have said geelong is the best side since brisbane

wc and syndey were sides who were good at keeping scores down to low scores, but werent that good at kicking bug scores themseves were as geelong were good at both

i dont uderstand this weak copmetition stuff, i mean how good were sudney? everyone was saying they were a side with no talen who were just very commited

Should've, would've, could've

You have the committed part right, but saying Sydney has no talent is like saying Cameron Ling is an attractive blond. The problem with us this year was that injuries caught up with us, and that the reception of the ball by our forwards from the midfield was decreasing in quality, and our most potent forward was underperforming due to injuries.

Everything just went right for Geelong this year, and in the words of Tom Harley himself "This type of thing only happens every hundred years". Talk about an exaggerator :p

a teams list should be judged based on results alone and the results clearly suggest that geelong have the best list

2007 premiers
brownlow
9 all australians
norm smith
risnig star winner
vfl premiership
minor premiership
players assosition player of the year
coaches assosition player of the year
coaches assosition coach of the year
vfl brownlow
vfl best on ground in grand final
statisticly number one defence in the afl
statisticly number one midfield in the afl
statisticly number one forward line in the afl
all time grand final record winning margin 119 points

I don't think you understand my point, you guys have the best team I know that, however when you look at your list of players as individuals, they are not the best, almost all of the achievements that you have brought up are team based awards, team based awards are not a fair indicator of a players ability....

Look at it this way, if all the teams had to put all their players into a draft and the 16 coaches started all over again, do you think that Geelong would have the most highly picked players? I don't believe they would....

Well anyway I think we're wasting our time, I don't think we'll ever agree....

Quote=i agree with you about the fact that there is the potential for things to go wrong for geelong, but i dont agree with you that geelong dont have the best players

shouldnt players be judge based on how they perform? i mean how can you tell how much natural ability a player has and how woould you know how hard a player works? for all you know WC could work harder than geelong and geelong might just have more ability

players should be judged on how they perform and based on that geelong have the best players

That's a fair enough point, but how come your players weren't as
competitive before Gablett and Bartel became superstars?

Compare Matthew Egan to Setanta O'Hailpin (i am by no means suggesting that these two should be compared in terms of ability)

Because of the dominance of Geelong's midfield Egan will have a lot less contests than O'Hailpin, so if Egan were to let in 3 goals a match and O'Hailpin were to let in 5 goals a match there would be very little difference in who played better.

The same can be said about your forward line, Riewoldt V Mooney...
Mooney kicked 67, Roo kicked 42, but he played 5 less games so we should make it 52.

Again because of the dominance of Geelong's midfield he had a lot more oppurtunities, so even if he has a 30% conversion rate, and Riewoldt had a 60% converstion rate Mooney will still kick more goals....

P.S. don't try and argue with any of the percentages, they're just examples....

yehp i agree some players have it easy because the playing at geelong but that is the same with all good teams, also the reaosn why geelong are the best team is because they have the best players, no doubt some players are made look better than they are but that is the same with every premiership team

Mooney isnt as effective since the ruck rule change a few years ago
Injuries to Scarlett, Ottens or Mooney and we will struggle

IMO thats our weakness-reliance on these three players.

I don't think you understand my point, you guys have the best team I know that, however when you look at your list of players as individuals, they are not the best, almost all of the achievements that you have brought up are team based awards, team based awards are not a fair indicator of a players ability....

Look at it this way, if all the teams had to put all their players into a draft and the 16 coaches started all over again, do you think that Geelong would have the most highly picked players? I don't believe they would....

Well anyway I think we're wasting our time, I don't think we'll ever agree....

i think all up our 22 would go probarly the quickest, dont know if our top players are the best ehich i think is the point you are trying to make, is it?

i dont understan this you have the best team but not the best players , isnt the team made up of the players? how can you have the best team but not the best players?

just look at this team and tell me its not the best

milburn scarlett harley
enright egan mackie

ling corey wojinski
ottens ablett bartell

stokes mooney rooke
chapman hawkins johnson

balke kelly sellwood prismall

none of those players except for blake,prismal and hawkins who are all young would be below a b grade player

If geelong have a weakness than I cant find what it is, numb 1 ranked attack and defence plus a midfield made up of 4 AA'S(including a brownlow) and 1 of the better ruckman in the game

all the other better sides have at least 1 weakness

port lack of depth
pies midfield
hawks defence
wc forward line
north lack of talent

If you are anything to go by, I'd say Geelong's weakness is thinking they don't have any weaknesses.

Whats the ruck depth like at Geelong now that Stevie Kings gone?

If Ottens went down, it'd be Blake and....:confused:

Blakes a decent ruck who's only gonna get better with time, but still....

Has Mooney rucked before?

Mooney has rucked a fair bit in the past, but it sure isn't ideal.
If Ottens were to go down early, would make things very interesting - I guess we'd see how West is developing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should've, would've, could've

You have the committed part right, but saying Sydney has no talent is like saying Cameron Ling is an attractive blond. The problem with us this year was that injuries caught up with us, and that the reception of the ball by our forwards from the midfield was decreasing in quality, and our most potent forward was underperforming due to injuries.

Everything just went right for Geelong this year, and in the words of Tom Harley himself "This type of thing only happens every hundred years". Talk about an exaggerator :p

sydney have talent, but not alot by grand final standard in my opinion

There biggest weakness is that they will not improve anymore compared to a number of teams that will catch-up. Developing teams in 2007 had an extra pre-season under there belts another year playing AFL! Yeah Yeah you will talk about Selwood/fatboy Hawkins inproving but this will be negated by some players ageing at the top end.

Also Cats had a great year from an injury perspective compared to some other clubs who had a bad run of injuries.

Mark my words it can all change quickly Cats fans, YOU WILL DEFINITELY NOT WIN BACK TO BACK BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT AS GREAT AS YOU THINK. Cats are no where near as good as the Hawthorn/Lions teams where they had the quality and depth of players to dominate for a few years.

You had a fantastic run in 2007 but only a year ago Thompson nearly got the sack!

sydney have talent, but not alot by grand final standard in my opinion
If winning the Grand Final was based on talent alone, wouldn't Freo and St Kilda have won successive premierships?

There is no such thing as 'Grand Final Standard'. You get there by being one of the best two teams in the competition, the umpires, the fans and the players don't give a toss whether they're 'Grand Final Standard'.

There biggest weakness is that they will not improve anymore compared to a number of teams that will catch-up. Developing teams in 2007 had an extra pre-season under there belts another year playing AFL! Yeah Yeah you will talk about Selwood/fatboy Hawkins inproving but this will be negated by some players ageing at the top end.

Also Cats had a great year from an injury perspective compared to some other clubs who had a bad run of injuries.

Mark my words it can all change quickly Cats fans, YOU WILL DEFINITELY NOT WIN BACK TO BACK BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT AS GREAT AS YOU THINK. Cats are no where near as good as the Hawthorn/Lions teams where they had the quality and depth of players to dominate for a few years.

You had a fantastic run in 2007 but only a year ago Thompson nearly got the sack!

michale voss siad that we are 1 of the best teams ever

If winning the Grand Final was based on talent alone, wouldn't Freo and St Kilda have won successive premierships?

There is no such thing as 'Grand Final Standard'. You get there by being one of the best two teams in the competition, the umpires, the fans and the players don't give a toss whether they're 'Grand Final Standard'.

i agree sydney were a good team, you cant win a premiership unless you are a top team

i agree sydney were a good team, you cant win a premiership unless you are a top team
A year like Geelong's is a lala-land dream for some teams, but your real test will be next year, defending the premiership against some extremely able teams and hoping to reciprocate the success you showed in 2007!

michale voss siad that we are 1 of the best teams ever

Best team ever and nearly got done by Collingwood in the Prelim and have'nt beaten Hawthorn for two years.

I have lost a bit of respect for Vossy if he said that, I thought he had a good football brain. He must have got a knock on his head in that recent bar incident.

Only a year ago we were saying that West Coast would win the next couple. Ablett walking out is an example of things that can happen which are not in your control.

A year like Geelong's is a lala-land dream for some teams, but your real test will be next year, defending the premiership against some extremely able teams and hoping to reciprocate the success you showed in 2007!

true but there is no reason for us not to be confident, just look at the odds to and you will se that most beleive we will go back to back

flag odds

cats $3.20
port,hawks and pies all $10

Originally Posted by matey
YOU WILL DEFINITELY NOT WIN BACK TO BACK BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT AS GREAT AS YOU THINK.
That is a big call to say that they definitely won't win the '08 premiership. If not Geelong, who will win it? I want to know who you think will win in place of Geelong.

Best team ever and nearly got done by Collingwood in the Prelim and have'nt beaten Hawthorn for two years.

I have lost a bit of respect for Vossy if he said that, I thought he had a good football brain. He must have got a knock on his head in that recent bar incident.

Only a year ago we were saying that West Coast would win the next couple.

one of the best teams ever,not the best

geelong were always going to beat collingwood, we just had the extra bit of class

as for hawthorn just like a said earlier its not what its made out to be, who didnt beat geelong in 06? and at the start of 07 geelong didnt play that well , had worse loses to north and the bulldogs and still amnaged to beat them by 85 and 106 points latter in the year

people did say WC can win more flags but very few said that they were one of the best ever and very few comapred them to the lions

2007 premiers
brownlow
9 all australians
norm smith
risnig star winner
vfl premiership
minor premiership
rising star winner
players assosition player of the year
coaches assosition player of the year
coaches assosition coach of the year
vfl brownlow
vfl best on ground in grand final
statisticly number one defence in the afl
statisticly number one midfield in the afl
statisticly number one forward line in the afl
all time grand final record winning margin 119 points

If geelong have a weakness than I cant find what it is, numb 1 ranked attack and defence plus a midfield made up of 4 AA'S(including a brownlow) and 1 of the better ruckman in the game

all the other better sides have at least 1 weakness

port lack of depth
pies midfield
hawks defence
wc forward line
north lack of talent

Consistency - They've only been up for one year

Guess you were one of the Geelong supporters who were stranded with the train strike and missed the H&A game when Trav tore Egan a new one!

Trav was the pies best in both games, and Geelong couldn't stop him!

oh my....do i have to bring out my tim mccgrath analogy up again??

i still hear bulldog fans go on about how ryan griffen apparently torn ablett junior "a new" or whatever in one game, ablett kicked 3 goals in that game btw....

also, egan only played in one of those games(trav was good in that game), but just ignore that that, you keep pumping up trav's tires champ.

Remove this Banner Ad

is geelong the only side in the afl that dosent have a weakness?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back