Analysis Is it acceptable for AFL clubs to be politically biased?

Remove this Banner Ad

For selfish reasons I'd rather one some time in the second half of the year - WA only has three public holidays from July to December inclusive and two of them are Christmas and Boxing Day.

What possible candidates are there if we change the date?

Campaign to get the Friday before Grand Final day holiday like we do

This is pretty much politics worldwide sadly, everything is brought down to Twitter argument level stuff.

I'd hazard a guess that if you said "We're moving Australia Day to January 24th because <insert vaguely relevant historical event>" most people wouldn't care, they simply enjoy a long weekend around the mid-late January window before schools go back.

An obvious step would be if / when Australia becomes a republic - and it probably will happen once the Queen is gone - that they do it some time in mid-late January and move the national holiday there.
the obvious step (if you are trying to celebrate the 'independence day' of australia) would be to have it on may 9th, the day of the first parliament of independent australia. not a day completely anathema to australias independence (the first landing is basically the day australia was founded as a british colony, the complete opposite to independence). its like celebrating moving out by having a party at your parents house.

then again, we also celebrate our independence by wrapping ourselves in flags bearing the symbol of the people we gained independence from, which makes even less sense.

Not really.

My point was that most people want to go to the football and watch the football, not be surrounded by social or political commentary on every issue under the sun.

But, where relevant, clubs can (and should) take a public stance. Aboriginal rights being possibly the most relevant.

No you completely miss the point.

You can't judge this stuff retrospectively and say oh well it was RIGHT to challenge racism against Aboriginal players after all.

At the time when it was a real problem, people challenging were fobbed off/attacked with stuff like ... not be surrounded by social or political commentary on every issue under the sun.

THIS is the point mate.

the obvious step (if you are trying to celebrate the 'independence day' of australia) would be to have it on may 9th, the day of the first parliament of independent australia. not a day completely anathema to australias independence (the first landing is basically the day australia was founded as a british colony, the complete opposite to independence). its like celebrating moving out by having a party at your parents house.

then again, we also celebrate our independence by wrapping ourselves in flags bearing the symbol of the people we gained independence from, which makes even less sense.

Only two weeks after Anzac Day, though.

A lot of it is how much stuff is tagged as “politics” these days.

It’s because we have a government that doesn’t really run the country, but (with the help of a complaint media) prefers to play culture wars and symbolism with things that aren’t really politics in Australia traditionally.

Something like the Australia Day issue is a perfect example. People want to change it because it’s meant to be a day of celebration, yet it’s blatantly painful to a section of our community.

Simply taking the feelings and views of others into account isn’t political for many people. It’s not an issue that aligns with who you might vote for. It’s more about being a prick versus not being a prick. And there’s always been pricks who vote Liberal, pricks who vote Labor, pricks who vote Greens, and vice versa etc.

But we’ve systematically had this “left / right” culture war garbage forced on us and rammed down our throats that it’s seen as “politics” now. Politicians and media make a “political” issue of it to divide us further and further.

I don’t care who you voted for. If we’re meant to have a “day to celebrate our country”, and you’ve got one group saying “that’s actually the one day we don’t want”, refusing to change it (and here’s the important part) when there’s literally zero cost to changing it... well, at absolute best, you’re inconsiderate. Really, you’re just a bit of a turd, and it doesn’t matter in the slightest where you put your “1” on the paper at an election. It’s not politics for me.

Great post.

Aside from all the very obvious points about invasion/reconciliation, January 26 marks the founding of the Colony of New South Wales.

It has no relevance in any other state or territory.

For selfish reasons I'd rather one some time in the second half of the year - WA only has three public holidays from July to December inclusive and two of them are Christmas and Boxing Day.

What possible candidates are there if we change the date?
31 july, the date wa held the referendum to join the federation and make it official that all of australia was federated?

would make some sense for the whole country to have that date.

That doesn't satisfy the masses enjoying the day off in mid-late Jan, which is what I think your average person mostly cares about. We have a public holiday for the friday before grand final day, I don't think most people think too deeply about the reason for it.

No you completely miss the point.

You can't judge this stuff retrospectively and say oh well it was RIGHT to challenge racism against Aboriginal players after all.

At the time when it was a real problem, people challenging were fobbed off/attacked with stuff like ... not be surrounded by social or political commentary on every issue under the sun.

THIS is the point mate.

I literally said relevant issues. In the 70s & 80s Aboriginal players were part of the fabric of the game, major contributors to the spectacle of the sport, and were literally being abused on-field.

I'm not sure how much more relevant it can get.

Are you trying to argue that the AFL or clubs should make a statement on every single political issue?

31 july, the date wa held the referendum to join the federation and make it official that all of australia was federated?

would make some sense for the whole country to have that date.

That sounds good but it would be WA-centric and opposed by the eastern states, I'd suppose.

Darn those founding fathers for choosing January 1 for Federation.

Every AFL club has a supporter base which covers a broad political spectrum and injecting themselves into political debates is a great way of sending a message that supporters of certain political leanings aren't welcome. Or unless there's a broad consensus for the political position in Australian society, but that really isn't Australia Day where you have a majority who want to keep the date as it is and a very irate minority who don't, and clubs injecting themselves into the debate by calling for a day everyone can celebrate are coming out against the majority of their fanbases.

There's a few posters suggesting if people who don't like their clubs position you should simply support another club, but do you really want a super-polarised society where even your recreational activities and the people you meet during it are selected to match your political biases? It's been a very worrying trend in the US and shouldn't be imported here.

And finally with all of that said clubs are going to do this anyway. Too many activists on too many issues are pushing clubs to make political statements out of a belief that sport clubs are better served leading political debates than acting as a unifying force in society, and there's simply too much pressure to not just be seen as being with the zeitgeist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for one am getting increasingly frustrated with the increase in political virtue signalling coming out of AFL clubs. Football clubs are becoming more interested in pedalling politically correct messaging and I’m increasingly frustrated by it.

I understand why it’s in their interest to focus on inclusiveness as this supports efforts to grow its supporter base and revenue streams.

However, as is becoming increasingly evident, when it starts to take deliberate decisions of a political nature , I believe they cross the line.

I am a proud Australia and believe we should find a way to celebrate this country and what’s great about it. When Essendon released its statement yesterday, mildly taking an anti Australia Day stance, it offended me.

I believe I’m in the healthy majority that may have for the first time been offended by its political stance yesterday. Most Australians support and want a positive celebration of this country by celebrating “Australia Day”.

If the club sees fit to increasingly and overtly focus on taking minority positions on emotive political Issues like Australia Day, then I will withdraw my financial support of the club. To me this isn’t inclusiveness. These positions taken are divisive.

The clubs collective issue is that this could cost them significantly financially.

I for one am getting increasingly frustrated with the increase in political virtue signalling coming out of AFL clubs. Football clubs are becoming more interested in pedalling politically correct messaging and I’m increasingly frustrated by it.

I understand why it’s in their interest to focus on inclusiveness as this supports efforts to grow its supporter base and revenue streams.

However, as is becoming increasingly evident, when it starts to take deliberate decisions of a political nature , I believe they cross the line.

I am a proud Australia and believe we should find a way to celebrate this country and what’s great about it. When Essendon released its statement yesterday, mildly taking an anti Australia Day stance, it offended me.

I believe I’m in the healthy majority that may have for the first time been offended by its political stance yesterday. Most Australians support and want a positive celebration of this country by celebrating “Australia Day”.

If the club sees fit to increasingly and overtly focus on taking minority positions on emotive political Issues like Australia Day, then I will withdraw my financial support of the club. To me this isn’t inclusiveness. These positions taken are divisive.

The clubs collective issue is that this could cost them significantly financially.

I understand wanting to have a day to celebrate being Australian. Why does the 26 January date matter to you? Why not any other date?

That sounds good but it would be WA-centric and opposed by the eastern states, I'd suppose.

Darn those founding fathers for choosing January 1 for Federation.
Pfft, Jan 26 is Sydney centric as it is. It's not wa centric as far as I'm concerned, it's the date the last state voted to join and the federation was formed. The arbitrary date the government chose later means much less.

That doesn't satisfy the masses enjoying the day off in mid-late Jan, which is what I think your average person mostly cares about. We have a public holiday for the friday before grand final day, I don't think most people think too deeply about the reason for it.

I literally said relevant issues. In the 70s & 80s Aboriginal players were part of the fabric of the game, major contributors to the spectacle of the sport, and were literally being abused on-field.

I'm not sure how much more relevant it can get.

Are you trying to argue that the AFL or clubs should make a statement on every single political issue?
Well the masses wanting a day off shouldn't decide such sensitive public policy.

From memory the gov has stated there's no public holiday for remembrance Day because the day is about remembering the soldiers, not having a day to get sloshed.

You're obviously one of them.

If you cannot stomach what a player, club or league is promoting then you always have the option of protesting it, cancelling memberships, stop watching etc. If the AFL want to ban all political statements, also up to them, and then you can also vote with your social media account, wallet or TV viewing etc.

That view isn't particularly helpful.

People follow and watch sports for entertainment and as an escape from reality and for example politics.

So I understand why some people get fed up with a sport promoting a certain political view as that is not why we engage with it.

I’ve noticed a recent trend of AFL clubs making comment on political issues, such as Australia Day etc.

Is it fair for them to make comment on issues that over 50% of their members disagree with?

Who decides to post on behalf of the club on this stuff?

Discuss.
There's literally no reason whatsoever to support Australia Day being on the 26th once you speak to Aboriginal people and leaders and hear what it means to them. Changing the date is about as apolitical a political issue can be.

That view isn't particularly helpful.

People follow and watch sports for entertainment and as an escape from reality and for example politics.

So I understand why some people get fed up with a sport promoting a certain political view as that is not why we engage with it.

It is, because there isn't only one sport or TV show or movie etc to watch to escape from reality.

People are attached to their sport, or TV show, or movie etc, fine, I get that - but what I don't get is why people are so attached that they complain about the direction their entertainment takes - and continue with engaging with it anyway. No one is forced to limit their choice of sport or sporting club. I am taking a classic libertarian view on this - don't like it? Don't watch.

There's literally no reason whatsoever to support Australia Day being on the 26th once you speak to Aboriginal people and leaders and hear what it means to them. Changing the date is about as apolitical a political issue can be.
Not to the culture warriors on the right who will happily stick the boot in where indigenous people are involved.

It is, because there isn't only one sport or TV show or movie etc to watch to escape from reality.

People are attached to their sport, or TV show, or movie etc, fine, I get that - but what I don't get is why people are so attached that they complain about the direction their entertainment takes - and continue with engaging with it anyway. No one is forced to limit their choice of sport or sporting club. I am taking a classic libertarian view on this - don't like it? Don't watch.

It's nice in theory, but in reality, it's not really helpful due to the scale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Is it acceptable for AFL clubs to be politically biased?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back