Is it just me or does Danger fwd remind you of Gaz Snr?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wiki says Oct 61, but I bow to your superior knowledge.
1 OCT 1960? We played v WCE in 94 GF on his 34th birthday, can never forget that horrid experience which has fuelled my intense dislike of WCE fans for several decades. The shite they were constantly dishing out all avo despite killing us...
I could well be incorrect about the year; in fact, it possibly was 1961

Last edited:

Its not a slight on PFD either to not be GAS like in the comparison.

We are talking about the bloke that out more bums on seats each week when he played than any other player has done.

Can never prove it - but PFD doesn't get oppo supporters to GFC games when their team is not the opposition.

GAS was just that good and that much of a draw.

Go Catters

Yes is just you...... as only similarity is wearing same colours and being forward of centre, I suggest you refer to one of Gazza Snrs 'many' highlight reels to refresh memory.

Can't count the number of times I've watched that and still love it like I've never seen it.

Let's go through the attirbutes.

Speed - Ablett Snr on a different level
Power - Ablett Snr on a different level
Strength - Ablett Snr on a different level
Explosiveness - Ablett Snr on a different level
Kicking - Ablett Snr on a different level
Marking - Ablett Snr on a different level
Agility - Ablett Snr on a different level
Physicality - Ablett Snr on a different level
Impact - Ablett Snr on a different level
Ability - Ablett Snr on a different level
Mustache - Ablett Snr on a different level

I hope that sums things up.

It's scary how accurate that is, but to be fair, Dangerfield would be pretty close in pace. If "Explosiveness" can include hitting top pace immediately after getting up with the ball Dangerfield is right up there with anyone I've seen.

But in everything else, it's Ablett senior easily. Plus two other terms that wouldn't necessarily be used by younger fans - consistency and output. People - quite rightly - lauded Dangerfield's last two seasons as something pretty spectacular. And they definitely were. Ablett had seasons like that more or less without interruption from 1985 onwards. For example in 1985 in his second full season of football, he kicked 82.67 from the half forward flank. And although Dangerfield is definitely a threat up forward, I don't see him becoming a legitimate full forward as easily as Ablett did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger can kick the ball..but he needs to try a few of these.. then we can talk...

You could almost stop that video after the first 10 seconds.

Seriously, how many players right now could do that? I'd be surprised if it was two or three and I can't think of a single player off the top of my head from any side capable. Unbelievable goal.

It's scary how accurate that is, but to be fair, Dangerfield would be pretty close in pace. If "Explosiveness" can include hitting top pace immediately after getting up with the ball Dangerfield is right up there with anyone I've seen.

But in everything else, it's Ablett senior easily. Plus two other terms that wouldn't necessarily be used by younger fans - consistency and output. People - quite rightly - lauded Dangerfield's last two seasons as something pretty spectacular. And they definitely were. Ablett had seasons like that more or less without interruption from 1985 onwards. For example in 1985 in his second full season of football, he kicked 82.67 from the half forward flank. And although Dangerfield is definitely a threat up forward, I don't see him becoming a legitimate full forward as easily as Ablett did.
I actually envy those that didn't ever see him play live. It was a sight to behold.

I was fortunate enough to have seen his whole career.

Like you said, the age in which you experience a phenomenon like Ablett sr. is perhaps an influence on how you view a sportsman with his unique abilities.
But maybe not; I know plenty of old-timers who saw Ablett in his pomp and rate him just as highly as I do.
To me Ablett is interchangeable with something like Star Wars, which blew my mind when I first saw it as a young boy; something amazing that you'll never forget, and can never be bettered.

I got a *little* bit of the Ablett magic fix from sportsmen like Shane Warne (yeah yeah) and even more recently Steph Curry, but Ablett produced football miracles on a regular basis when I was at my most passionate and naive as a footy lover.

Happy 50th HHH!

I'll narrow it to one.

I've seen two stretches of time where a particular sportsman hit a groove of form that was beyond anything I've seen. Plus both players looked so ridiculously calm and relaxed during this phase.

One was Ablett in the 1989 finals series. The other was Maradona in the 1986 World Cup. That's the pinnacle for me.

(I almost include Van Basten in the European championships in 1988, and I suspect Ali from around 1965-1967 would be close had I seen it.)

I actually envy those that didn't ever see him play live. It was a sight to behold.

I was fortunate enough to have seen his whole career.

Same here. I saw snippets of 1984 and 1985 live, but from 1986 onwards I saw everything, including all three 14 goal hauls live. A particular thrill was the Sydney game in 1994 as he kicked 11 of 14 up my end.

I'll narrow it to one.
I've seen two stretches of time where a particular sportsman hit a groove of form that was beyond anything I've seen. Plus both players looked so ridiculously calm and relaxed during this phase.
One was Ablett in the 1989 finals series. The other was Maradona in the 1986 World Cup. That's the pinnacle for me.
(I almost include Van Basten in the European championships in 1988, and I suspect Ali from around 1965-1967 would be close had I seen it.)
Yes.
Probably also Viv Richards c. 1976-77.

Same here. I saw snippets of 1984 and 1985 live, but from 1986 onwards I saw everything, including all three 14 goal hauls live. A particular thrill was the Sydney game in 1994 as he kicked 11 of 14 up my end.
I was there too, but can't remember which end he kicked the 11 from. I do remember an Essendon supporter sitting behind me saying that he had brought his wife to the game to see Ablett.

I have no data but it certainly would not be a different level of quickness. How would GA go over a 100? Shame we have no records to know for sure.

A prominent athletics coach back in the day reckoned he could have trained Ablett to be an Olympic 100M sprinter.
I was treated for a knee quite a while ago by a former Geelong Physio - big guy at around 190cm and 90kgs - he told me that for fun Ablett would do straight leg raise whilst being massaged.
They were different leg raises though - this guy was fully supported on the great ones leg and he was lifted off the floor each time over a few reps on each leg :eek:

I can see some comparison in terms of explosiveness between Ablett and Danger but it's no Jordan/Le Bron comparison - not even close.

A prominent athletics coach back in the day reckoned he could have trained Ablett to be an Olympic 100M sprinter.
I was treated for a knee quite a while ago by a former Geelong Physio - big guy at around 190cm and 90kgs - he told me that for fun Ablett would do straight leg raise whilst being massaged.
They were different leg raises though - this guy was fully supported on the great ones leg and he was lifted off the floor each time over a few reps on each leg :eek:

I can see some comparison in terms of explosiveness between Ablett and Danger but it's no Jordan/Le Bron comparison - not even close.

He was a power athlete for sure..but id say Paddy would have him over 100M

Right of screen if you're watching on TV (the old Hill end). Quarter by quarter it was 1, 6, 2, and 5.
Ablett kicked 6 in the first quarter of that game I'm pretty sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back