Is it me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
I have just read afl.com.au's phantom draft, and again they have us picking another half back flanker, stating that we need another polished kick out of defense.

I have no idea why all these 'experts' are saying the same thing. To me it seems we have much bigger holes we need to fill. Yes maybe Deledio and Houli will eventually end up back in the middle, but what about Newman, Batchelor, Dea, Morris? Surely we do not need another rebounding defender.

To me we should pick the best midfielder available, like an Adams or Kavanagh, and if we decide not to go with a midfielder, then a silky forward like Crozier or Manson.

In my opinion the last thing we need is another rebounding defender and I will be really disappointed if we use our first pick on one. It can't just be me who can see that we need another class midfielder more than anything?

Totally agree. Feels like we've got so many backs it's not funny. Not sure why the hysteria about our backline TBH.

I'd love another quality midfielder with Deledio to hopefully move into the midfield too.

Yeah I agree a midfielder all the way Adams hopefully or Id be happy with Haynes. Honestly though our defence is looking great compared to this time last year a couple more midfielders and were on our way.

I have just read afl.com.au's phantom draft, and again they have us picking another half back flanker, stating that we need another polished kick out of defense.

I have no idea why all these 'experts' are saying the same thing. To me it seems we have much bigger holes we need to fill. Yes maybe Deledio and Houli will eventually end up back in the middle, but what about Newman, Batchelor, Dea, Morris? Surely we do not need another rebounding defender.

To me we should pick the best midfielder available, like an Adams or Kavanagh, and if we decide not to go with a midfielder, then a silky forward like Crozier or Manson.

In my opinion the last thing we need is another rebounding defender and I will be really disappointed if we use our first pick on one. It can't just be me who can see that we need another class midfielder more than anything?

Completely agree.

Except for the part about Manson, too big a risk with our first 2 picks. At pick 55 then maybe. Not with the first two though.

I want a mid+mid or a mid+hff combo.
Don't want hbfs in this draft.

Yeah you're right, and you also forgot Connors who was injured for the majority of last year.

I think our most pressing needs are improving the 2nd tier midfield and medium forwards.

Although Docherty has the ability to play midfield he does play his best ehind the ball and I can't see us overlooking an elite inside ball winner in Adams.

Murdoch at 26 I would be happy with as he provides versatility up the ground.

Here is the link:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126378/default.aspx

BTW Docherty looks like he could make the transition to a line-breaking outside mid - no trouble at all. Murdoch also look pretty good.

What this tells us is that we are going to get quality at 15.

It takes one change in the order before our pick and then who knows which direction we take. But I agree, best available MID with our first is a priority, Adams, Kavanagh, McKenzie and then Docherty thrown in should see the Tigers having a good think and using all their alotted time before calling their selection out.

Murdoch i'm not too familiar with, but people are suggesting he's a likely sort. Good speed too to go with his height.

No love for Grigg, slipping down further!

Maric at 55......... is this a lock? I though McCarthy was more likely.

1 Sleep to go and these hypotheticals are put to bed :thumbsu:

Yeah you're right, and you also forgot Connors who was injured for the majority of last year.

I think our most pressing needs are improving the 2nd tier midfield and medium forwards.

Although Docherty has the ability to play midfield he does play his best ehind the ball and I can't see us overlooking an elite inside ball winner in Adams.

Murdoch at 26 I would be happy with as he provides versatility up the ground.

Yep that's right, add Connors to the list, he was very very good in 2010.

What this tells us is that we are going to get quality at 15.

It takes one change in the order before our pick and then who knows which direction we take. But I agree, best available MID with our first is a priority, Adams, Kavanagh, McKenzie and then Docherty thrown in should see the Tigers having a good think and using all their alotted time before calling their selection out.

Murdoch i'm not too familiar with, but people are suggesting he's a likely sort. Good speed too to go with his height.

No love for Grigg, slipping down further!

Maric at 55......... is this a lock? I though McCarthy was more likely.

1 Sleep to go and these hypotheticals are put to bed :thumbsu:

McCarthey hasnt nominated for the ND! He will only be entering the PSD/Rookie draft where we will take him as our PSD pick unless those pansies at Port Adelaide pick him before us!
Has said he wants to play for Richmond, 9x out of 10 they get to the club of choice!

McCarthey hasnt nominated for the ND! He will only be entering the PSD/Rookie draft where we will take him as our PSD pick unless those pansies at Port Adelaide pick him before us!
Has said he wants to play for Richmond, 9x out of 10 they get to the club of choice!

Of course! Thanks for dropping that.... Nugget! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:confused:I understand the need for having polished and skilled disposers of the ball coming out of defence, but that's only part of the equation in the AFL. I'd be more interested to see if any of these so called polished disposers of the ball can actually shut down their opponent.
You can use the ball as well as Newman or Deledio or whoever, but if Steven Milne or Mark Le Cras is slotting through six goals the other way, it don't mean Jack!
I would suggest that's part of the reason a certain Mitch Farmer isn't on our list at this time. His skills were generally good and had a thumping kick ... but he lost out on pace and containing his opponent.
For mine, midfield depth is clearly the way for us to go at this time and we are in a situation to add at least two.

I can understand many people thinking backmen are our priority considering this past season where it was just terrible at times. The way we leaked goals sometimes was frustrating.... (mind flashes back to the first time we played Sydney)

But Adams is an excellent clearance player and I will be annoyed if he's available at 15 and we dont take him. I feel our midfield depth is worse than our backline which suffered through injuries and inexperience last year.

The Sunday Times in WA had Mackenzie available at 26. The Sunday Times is a pretty terrible newspaper but if this somehow happened and we snared Adams at 15 it would be amazing. A man can dream...

I must be the only one who doesn't mind taking a guy who will START as a HBF with our first couple of picks. Considering we have played arguably our best player there for the last 2 seasons its quite clear that the position is one of the most important in the AFL. So if we can get a guy like Docherty who can release Deledio into the middle to add depth in there surely that must be considered a win.

Adams will likely go before 15, Docherty is a better player than your giving him credit for, elite desicion maker elite kick and quick , could quite easily end up an AFL midfielder

So long as he has the tank and can handle pressure well enough to cope with a midfield rotation, I'm fine with it if the club considers him the best option.

Lets face it, there isn't really much of a role for flankers these days, and they're just another part of the midfield rotation.

3 interchange, 2 HBF, 2HFF, 2 wing, center/ruck/rover = 12 'midfielders'. Ideally, some will be at the fall of the ball, some positioned at various points around, some more accountable for their opponent than others, but they'll all cover most of the ground depending on where the ball it at the time.

tipping the experts know shit when it comes to what our brains trust knows on what we need...so this phantom draft shit and all the crap about if he goes then and who gets who when, is all a big pile of steaming shit....they cant do anything else but put out that shit, just so the punters keep glued to the soap opera...;)

I still hope we take an elite mid that slides, if not Adams, someone like Greene if he falls down the order a bit - a good mid means the ball will spend more time in our forward line and less in our back.

If all the good mids are gone (don't want Kavanagh anymore due to his attitutde), would be happy to take Docherty if he is still there and that it means Lids can be a permanent midfielder.

Just as a compromise, if we took Adams, are there likely to be any other good rebounding half back types available at 26? Would be awesome to snare Adams and a talented rebounder to release Lids to the middle - would be like getting 2 A grade additions to the midfield :eek:

It's all well and good to be an attacking HBF but What's Docherty like one on one, Newman, Connors and Houli are all second rate defensively, if he's more like Batchelor then grab him.

I'm all for Adams too but I'd be over the moon if we got Docherty. Don't pigeon hole him as solely a back flanker for the rest of his career. He has mid attributes and is going to be a gun. Plenty of clubs are going best available and his skills are top notch and if he ticks the boxes in all the mental departments then there isn't any real reason to knock the club. Murdoch looks like he would be handy too and would push out Miller when ready, which would please some.

Everyone has a different opinion but I've always been keen on Docherty and Ellis at 15 and 26 anyway. Brett Anderson's inside footy mock draft had us taking Ellis and Frost at 15 and 26 with Adams and Docherty already gone. That will be the reality of this draft. There are only a handful of really good solid inside mids and depending on what GWS, Port and Brisbane do we might be out of luck. Docherty could quite easily fill a play making outside role, and also, don't be scared of depth.

/2cents.

I must be the only one who doesn't mind taking a guy who will START as a HBF with our first couple of picks. Considering we have played arguably our best player there for the last 2 seasons its quite clear that the position is one of the most important in the AFL. So if we can get a guy like Docherty who can release Deledio into the middle to add depth in there surely that must be considered a win.

Add me too. To be honest, he reminds me of another Deledio.

Ah ha comes down to the old debate on whether Lids was moved to defence as he was struggling in the midfield ( primarily with taggers ), or was he moved to defence for his ball use ability . Sorry but I'm a bit of a believer of option A , and believe that now Cotch and Dusty have established themselves and foley had a season under his belt it's time he was put back into the midfield . Tag Lids the other 3 will bite you, and vice versa !
Either way I strongly oppose recruiting players who are HBF's , have no trouble and support playing players off half back whilst developing , however if their most scope they have is to become a HBF they are way to limited IMO !
Hope they play Batch up the ground at times this season !

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back