Is it possible to "steal" foxtel in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

I ask because I had some cable internet installed the other day and the installation guy noticed that the house I have has everything pretty much installed for foxtel etc already. I pressed him as to what that meant exactly and whether that means I could get free footy (I refuse to buy or read anything from that traitor Rupert Murdoch) on tv and the guy said to stop pressing him as he was getting uncomfortable. I stopped and then he said that its possible but wouldn't elaborate.

The_Cable_Guy.png

In the past my parents had a dodgy foxtel connection.
Had to pay $500 upfront for it, problem was every few months foxtel would change their codes or what not, and the connection was lost.
I had a multi-room setup at my parents house.
When i moved out to my own place, all i had to do was get a satellite dish installed and take one of the boxes with me, and BANG foxtel.
I wouldn't call this stealing, but saves me having to pay for another connection and i share the cost with the parents

Similar situation for me. My girlfriend and I moved into a house that already had a dish so we got foxtel set up and requested 2 boxes. Dished off the extra box to her parents who also had a dish so now we go halves in the monthly cost with them. Works very well for saving a bit of cash.

In the past my parents had a dodgy foxtel connection.
Had to pay $500 upfront for it, problem was every few months foxtel would change their codes or what not, and the connection was lost.
I had a multi-room setup at my parents house.
When i moved out to my own place, all i had to do was get a satellite dish installed and take one of the boxes with me, and BANG foxtel.
I wouldn't call this stealing, but saves me having to pay for another connection and i share the cost with the parents

does this actually work?

we were having a discussion about whether our cricket club could piggy back the signal off of one of our guys who lives across the road from our club rooms, can it be done with a dish and an extra box?

does this actually work?

we were having a discussion about whether our cricket club could piggy back the signal off of one of our guys who lives across the road from our club rooms, can it be done with a dish and an extra box?
Yes

does this actually work?

Doesn't even have to be across the road, works across suburbs so I imagine it would Auswide as well.

Why would you want foxtel anyway? Apart from the live footy, it's quite pathetic actually. They barely cover the NBA, they don't cover the NBL at all, the tennis coverage is poor and now that they've lost the big-bash there's barely any reason to get it in the off-season.

Why would you want foxtel anyway? Apart from the live footy, it's quite pathetic actually. They barely cover the NBA, they don't cover the NBL at all, the tennis coverage is poor and now that they've lost the big-bash there's barely any reason to get it in the off-season.

Their EPL coverage is second to none.

Unlimited Law and Order re-runs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their EPL coverage is second to none.
Not a soccer fan, doesn't faze. The internet streams usually come through with everything regardless. I had foxtel for a while there, I found that I wasn't watching anything apart from the footy. Complete waste imo.

Not a soccer fan, doesn't faze. The internet streams usually come through with everything regardless. I had foxtel for a while there, I found that I wasn't watching anything apart from the footy. Complete waste imo.

The fact that we're paying for ads pisses me off, and streaming movies/TV shows is so much easier.

There needs to be a sport only subscription.

Elaborate!

The "host" subscribes to Foxtel (nothing fancy - no record, no digital, just the bare bones with all the channels) and orders extra boxes (this deal I know of had 3 extra boxes as thats all the extra rooms he had - maybe thats the maximum per household also). Those 3 extra boxes are installed in each of the rooms with the conduit or whatever its called, and then providing the other houses have had Foxtel at one point in time (e.g.. have a satellite on their house), they can simply take a box and plug it in. The card in each box is what it reads off. So the catch I guess is that there needed to be satellite already on the house. Still works to this day for this bunch of 4.

The technician did come out one day to the host's house as one of the boxes were faulty, meaning the rest of those in the deal had to return their boxes while he visited. The technician entered the empty bedrooms with a Foxtel connection & box in it which would have been obvious but apparently didn't blink an eye which I assume can only mean that these guys know of it happening and aren't really concerned a whole lot.

Did the mate pay only $37 a year? Or a month? Or a once off?

This was per month, for all the channels. So essentially the host pays his bill and the others in the scam reimburse them.

And no it's not me involved. My Foxtel days are behind me.

In addition to AFL - NFL, NCCA Football, rugby league, Man v Food, Anthony Bourdain and films.

That covers me. Wife and kid have their preferred channels/shows too. We don't watch FTA.

Was listening to the radio a while ago and some guy rang up talking about how his neighbour during his renovations mentioned that he was installing Foxtel in every room so one night this guy took one of the cables and ran it under the lawn into his own house. So now he has free Foxtel, only issue is that he has to watch whatever his neighbour is watching.

And it is possible to steal Foxtel somewhat though people have got themselves into trouble over it. Some technicians were giving the codes away to people so they could get free Foxtel, however in the end they were caught and fired from their jobs.

In addition to AFL - NFL, NCCA Football, rugby league, Man v Food, Anthony Bourdain and films.

That covers me. Wife and kid have their preferred channels/shows too. We don't watch FTA.

The live sport is the only reason we kept it so long. I love Anthony Bourdain but I think I saw every No Reservations/Layover show 100 times. They struggle for new content on a lot of their channels.

I'd imagine if they had a sport only package for around $20-$25 a month they'd double their customer base in the first year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it possible to "steal" foxtel in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back