Is it time for a National Reserves League?

Is it time for a National Reserves League

• Yes

Votes: 173 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Scott Selwood and Pat McGinnity are unable to play this weekend for East Perth because they haven't played enough WAFL games to qualify - understandably West Coast aren't happy but fair enough on the WAFL standing up for the integrity of it's own final series.

In the first week of the WAFL finals, Fremantle resting a whole bunch of players meant that Peel had to field a virtual reserves team in it's first ever finals match and was predictably smashed by over in 100 points.

Looking over in SA and it seems that the standalone AFL reserves sides have had a severely negative impact on both SANFL attendance and tv viewers.

The NSW and QLD sides are significantly disadvantaged by playing against weak standalone sides with players significantly below SANFL/VFL/WAFL standard. The standalone sides are disadvantaged by the arbitrary merger of NSW and QLD leagues leading to much higher costs. In the short history of the NEAFL, many teams have already voluntarily relegated themselves.

In Victoria the former VFA is pretty much dead and apparently Port Melbourne are looking to try and organise a break away league.

The current situation disadvantages 4 AFL clubs, slightly disadvantages some WA clubs like West Coast this weekend but most of all is having a severely negative impact on football at the lower levels which will eventually affect the AFL.

So it's time to bring back the Reserves league.

In regards to how it would work it would be separated into two conferences

National Conference

Divided into two divisions of four teams. Each team plays each other team in it's division 4 times (12 matches) and plays each team in the other division twice (8 matches) for a total of 20 matches.
There is a combined ladder for both divisions.

Northern Division
1. Brisbane
2. Gold Coast
3. Sydney
4. UWS

Western Division
1. Adelaide
2. Fremantle
3. Port Adelaide
4. West Coast

Victorian Conference

One division of ten teams. Each team plays seven other teams twice (14) and two teams three times (6) for a total of 20 matches.

1. Box Hill
2. Collingwood
3. Essendon
4. Footscray
5. Geelong
6. Melbourne
7. North Melbourne
8. Northern Blues
9. Richmond
10. St Kilda

Finals works the same as the AFL

Finals
1. Vic Conference 1
2. Nat Conference 1
3. Vic Conference 2
4. Nat Conference 2
5. Vic Conference 3
6. Nat Conference 3
7. Vic Conference 4
8. Nat Conference 4

The highest ranked team hosts the Grand Final. If it's 1st vs 1st then the time with more points over the season hosts. If they have the same number of wins than the team with the higher percentage hosts.

I used to love the ressies as curtain raisers and appreciate the work in your post...but if your reserves team doesn't make the finals how do you solve the problem you have highlighted?

Some teams are losing money as it is, having to foot the bill for bigger playing lists, flights, accommodation etc could drive some clubs to the wall financially.

The Vic clubs will all be playing in Victoria.

The NSW and QLD clubs already have to travel a lot. Can't cost much more to travel to Darwin than to Perth and I'm sure the AFL has the cash for that

I used to love the ressies as curtain raisers and appreciate the work in your post...but if your reserves team doesn't make the finals how do you solve the problem you have highlighted?

It doesn't for you but it certainly solves the problem the various state leagues face and provides the NSW and QLD sides with some decent competition.

Could an AFL club even field two teams allowing for injuries, emergencies etc etc?

Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Sydney etc seem to manage it
They will have access to some top ups as per the current situation for teams with standalone reserves sides

It doesn't for you but it certainly solves the problem the various state leagues face and provides the NSW and QLD sides with some decent competition.
The NSW and Queensland reserves teams already play each other multiple times each year. Games against the other NEAFL sides are limited. Of those teams , several are pretty high standard now. Not VFL standard but not easy beats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Sydney etc seem to manage it
They will have access to some top ups as per the current situation for teams with standalone reserves sides

Port Adelaide "Magpies" Has quite a few SANFL listed players.

I can't speak for other clubs, but this year Brisbane had trouble fielding a competitive side, even in the NEAFL. At times there was only 6 (?) Lions listed players with the balance made up from top ups, academy kids and coaches.

I can't see a reserves league working when clubs can barely field a fit 22 (plus emergencies) in the AFL.

Reserves need to happen. Its a disgrace how the WAFL and Sanfl are being treated at the moment.

Its a very hard ask to get everyone on the same page and make it financially viable for everyone.
Correct.
You'd think $2b over 6 years would be able to fund it, but apparently not.
Doesn't need to be the same fixture as the AFL to reduce costs, a VIC comp and a non-Vic comp is probably workable although a hybrid mix could probably be worked out relatively easily

The current VFL is a joke, SANFL & WAFL are heading there, whilst the NEAFL is already a money pit with non-AFL clubs leaving the comp every year thus far.

I can't speak for other clubs, but this year Brisbane had trouble fielding a competitive side, even in the NEAFL. At times there was only 6 (?) Lions listed players with the balance made up from top ups, academy kids and coaches.

I can't see a reserves league working when clubs can barely field a fit 22 (plus emergencies) in the AFL.
What difference does it make if the Lions field 6 listed players + topups in a reserves league vs fielding 6 listed players + topups in the NEAFL? :confused:

No real reason why the current top-up arrangements couldn't continue, and would be probably an improvement over the current farcical NEAFL situation where a kid who's played as a Lions academy top up all year suddenly finds himself eligible to represent a different club in the finals

Reserves need to happen. Its a disgrace how the WAFL and Sanfl are being treated at the moment.

Its a very hard ask to get everyone on the same page and make it financially viable for everyone.

I think you will find it is how the SANFL are treating everyone else.

I'd be interested to see how our top 22 stack up in the VFL over a course of the season.

Port Adelaide "Magpies" Has quite a few SANFL listed players.

But they would have the same arrangements for players as they currently have.

Every reserves side has top up players who are paid a lot less than their AFL listed counterparts. That's not going to be new.

You wont have to worry about filling those extra spots in the event of an AFL reserves league because blokes who fancy their chances will be falling over themselves to get into the AFL system and prove their worth against AFL listed players. They get paid a much smaller fee obviously.

The issue, as others have said, is money. Flying reserves teams around the country every week, and all the extra coaches/trainers/staff that come with that isn't cheap. The AFL would have to actively support it and give every club money to fund their ressies side.

Every reserves side has top up players who are paid a lot less than their AFL listed counterparts. That's not going to be new.

You wont have to worry about filling those extra spots in the event of an AFL reserves league because blokes who fancy their chances will be falling over themselves to get into the AFL system and prove their worth against AFL listed players. They get paid a much smaller fee obviously.

The issue, as others have said, is money. Flying reserves teams around the country every week, and all the extra coaches/trainers/staff that come with that isn't cheap. The AFL would have to actively support it and give every club money to fund their ressies side.

The AFL should support it. In the long run it's better for the lower tiers of football as well. The AFL will benefit from stronger state leagues.

And this system should minimise travel anyway. Obviously the non-Victorian teams will have to travel a lot but the AFL should compensate for that.

I think you will find it is how the SANFL are treating everyone else.

Not wishing to take this thread off topic but what does the SANFL owe to either SA AFL club? The crowds that were predicted haven't materialised, quite the opposite and crowds have fallen over all and lots of SANFL clubs are starting to realise that there inclusion is hurting the league.
The novelty's worn off and i'd bet a large %ge of SANFL supporters would be happy to see the arse end of AFC and Power rezzies.

Positives and negatives attached, best format I see is a reserves curtain raiser like the old days.
You would still have you standard AFL list and salary cap as well as your reserves only list with a seperate salary cap and/or min/max player salary.
Also there could be an added reserves rookie listed player or two.
Travelling expenses would be the biggest hurdle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it time for a National Reserves League?

Back