Is it time for a National Reserves League?

Is it time for a National Reserves League

• Yes

Votes: 173 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you played a reserves season with the same fixture as the seniors, I highly doubt adding 22 extra tickets to a Jetstar flight is going to send the clubs or the AFL broke.

It's not just the players traveling (not solely limited to air fares btw) costs but also the support staff too. Also the non Vic clubs would do the bulk of the travelling.

[QUOTE="Travelling expenses would be the biggest hurdle.[/QUOTE]

Correct.

Not wishing to take this thread off topic but what does the SANFL owe to either SA AFL club? The crowds that were predicted haven't materialised, quite the opposite and crowds have fallen over all and lots of SANFL clubs are starting to realise that there inclusion is hurting the league.
The novelty's worn off and i'd bet a large %ge of SANFL supporters would be happy to see the arse end of AFC and Power rezzies.

These No AFL in The SANFL mouth breathers need to be very careful for what they wish for. A national reserves competition will consign the SANFL to further irrelevance.

There should be one, but why don't we just make them curtain raisers for the seniors? Just have the same fixture.
Because no one goes to the curtain raisers. Why would the AFL ruin the playing surface of a stadium for a reserves match?

It's not just the players traveling (not solely limited to air fares btw) costs but also the support staff too. Also the non Vic clubs would do the bulk of the travelling.

[QUOTE="Travelling expenses would be the biggest hurdle.

Correct.[/QUOTE]
How? Just using my own team as an example but St.Kilda travelled interstate 7 times this year.
As for extra staff, they're getting paid by the stand-alone teams anyway. I'm not denying there would be extra costs, I just think it'd be that dramatic for clubs.

Not wishing to take this thread off topic but what does the SANFL owe to either SA AFL club? The crowds that were predicted haven't materialised, quite the opposite and crowds have fallen over all and lots of SANFL clubs are starting to realise that there inclusion is hurting the league.
The novelty's worn off and i'd bet a large %ge of SANFL supporters would be happy to see the arse end of AFC and Power rezzies.

Do you think the SANFL channel 7 deal would have materialised without the two clubs? As far as your question goes, the SANFL owes the 2 clubs everything. They are basically funding the league through the stadium deals and Port Adelaide were a massive part of the SANFL's success in its heyday. Having a proper reserves team means the clubs can actually have proper development of players rather than players like Petrenko having two separate sets of instructions and WWT ignoring all instructions from Adelaide despite being contracted to them. Strong AFL clubs means more money for the SANFL. If the two AFL clubs told them to **** off and joined the VFL/ AFL reserves / whatever, the SANFL would be stuffed. I don't pretend to up on the latest figures, but when there was talk of the Magpies folding, people were pointing out that they comprise about a third of all attendances, with Norwood taking up their fair share as well. I don't know about whether the rumours from Tredrea are correct, but if true, it smacks of nothing pissant clubs trying to be relevant, but not realising they are only relevant because clubs like Port exist. I am actually getting a bit bored of everything being Port Adelaide's fault somehow. If ****wit clubs like North Adelaide want to play in front of 500 people every week then don't ask us to foot the bill.

Because no one goes to the curtain raisers. Why would the AFL ruin the playing surface of a stadium for a reserves match?

You'd get a lot more people there if it was your actual reserves team though IMO. Having it regularly would also mean people would know they could always go early and see the game.

Most of the times i've seen a curtain raiser in the last decade, i've wandered in an hour before the game and there have been people playing footy, which I had no prior knowledge of with teams I don't know or care about.

Ressies sides would be better

You'd get a lot more people there if it was your actual reserves team though IMO. Having it regularly would also mean people would know they could always go early and see the game.

Most of the times i've seen a curtain raiser in the last decade, i've wandered in an hour before the game and there have been people playing footy, which I had no prior knowledge of with teams I don't know or care about.

Ressies sides would be better
Went to a curtain raiser between Collingwood and Carltons reserves team, before the AFL match between Collingwood and Carlton. Their was lucky to be 500 people there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How? Just using my own team as an example but St.Kilda travelled interstate 7 times this year.
As for extra staff, they're getting paid by the stand-alone teams anyway. I'm not denying there would be extra costs, I just think it'd be that dramatic for clubs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like i said, the non-vic sides would do the bulk of the traveling. A reserves side would still need medical staff at matches, coaches, runners, trainers etc especially more so if a rezzies fixture does not coincide with the AFL fixture. There's also traveling to and from airports, meals and accommodation. I'm sure sponsorship could offset some costs. I'm not saying it isn't possible but that you neglected to consider other costs other that air fares for 22 players in your op.

Went to a curtain raiser between Collingwood and Carltons reserves team, before the AFL match between Collingwood and Carlton. Their was lucky to be 500 people there.

How well was it advertised? How many people would usually go to a Carlton v Collingwood reserves game if it was held at a suburban ground?

My argument is that consistency would help. If I knew that getting there early every week would mean I could see a reserves game, i'd do it a lot. So would a significant enough percentage of the 45000 people that would be coming to the later game as to make it viable.

As for extra staff, they're getting paid by the stand-alone teams anyway. I'm not denying there would be extra costs, I just think it'd be that dramatic for clubs.

Yeah, like i said, the non-vic sides would do the bulk of the traveling. A reserves side would still need medical staff at matches, coaches, runners, trainers etc especially more so if a rezzies fixture does not coincide with the AFL fixture. There's also traveling to and from airports, meals and accommodation. I'm sure sponsorship could offset some costs. I'm not saying it isn't possible but that you neglected to consider other costs other that air fares for 22 players in your op.[/QUOTE]

The AFL just signed a 2 billion dollar deal.
I'm sure they can handle it

I agree with the concept in principal but I don't like the division you have made. I agree that their should be divisions to reduce the cost of travel etc but I would break it into three divisions.

Division One
West Coast
Fremantle
* Western Bulldogs
* North Melbourne
* Essendon
* Hawthorn

Division Two
Port Adelaide
Adelaide
* Melbourne
* St Kilda
* Richmond
* Geelong

Division Three
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Sydney
GWS
*Collingwood
*Carlton

*randomly rotated each year

- Every AFL side would have a reserve's team.
- Each Melbourne based VFL team would rotate between leagues each year (this could be randomly drawn)

Method One - Only AFL Reserves
Each team plays off against the other teams in their division twice and the other teams in the other division once to figure out who advances through to the finals with the finals twice places going to the teams with the best win/loss ration and percentage margin.

Method Two - Opportunity for State League sides
Each side plays the teams in their league once to figure out an order. Then the top two teams play off against each other to figure out ladder positioning and who makes the top 4. Those finishing 3 & 4 in their division play off to see who make takes the last two spots in the finals and finally the bottom two teams play off against the other divisions bottom two to figure out if they stay in the reserves - last three teams drop out and are replaced by the GF winners from the state leagues.

Anyway just my take

How well was it advertised? How many people would usually go to a Carlton v Collingwood reserves game if it was held at a suburban ground?

My argument is that consistency would help. If I knew that getting there early every week would mean I could see a reserves game, i'd do it a lot. So would a significant enough percentage of the 45000 people that would be coming to the later game as to make it viable.

On the other hand didn't the Bulldogs actually more match day money from their standalone reserves side than their seniors side?

Because they could get all the profit from selling food and drinks at Whitten Oval?

Do you think the SANFL channel 7 deal would have materialised without the two clubs? As far as your question goes, the SANFL owes the 2 clubs everything. They are basically funding the league through the stadium deals and Port Adelaide were a massive part of the SANFL's success in its heyday. Having a proper reserves team means the clubs can actually have proper development of players rather than players like Petrenko having two separate sets of instructions and WWT ignoring all instructions from Adelaide despite being contracted to them. Strong AFL clubs means more money for the SANFL. If the two AFL clubs told them to **** off and joined the VFL/ AFL reserves / whatever, the SANFL would be stuffed. I don't pretend to up on the latest figures, but when there was talk of the Magpies folding, people were pointing out that they comprise about a third of all attendances, with Norwood taking up their fair share as well. I don't know about whether the rumours from Tredrea are correct, but if true, it smacks of nothing pissant clubs trying to be relevant, but not realising they are only relevant because clubs like Port exist. I am actually getting a bit bored of everything being Port Adelaide's fault somehow. If ******* clubs like North Adelaide want to play in front of 500 people every week then don't ask us to foot the bill.

I don't think it's just a PA matter. The prediction about 4000 strong crowds to AFC matches just never happened and the fees paid don't make up for the decline in crowds. Look at die hard Maggies fans that walked away like the cheer squad. Have a read of their FB page when the maggies became Power rezzies.

On the other hand didn't the Bulldogs actually more match day money from their standalone reserves side than their seniors side?

Because they could get all the profit from selling food and drinks at Whitten Oval?

This is a good point.

I guess teams would have to figure out whether it was financially a better move to have a couple of thousand watching at their suburban training base.

I agree with the concept in principal but I don't like the division you have made. I agree that their should be divisions to reduce the cost of travel etc but I would break it into three divisions.

Division One
West Coast
Fremantle
* Western Bulldogs
* North Melbourne
* Essendon
* Hawthorn

Division Two
Port Adelaide
Adelaide
* Melbourne
* St Kilda
* Richmond
* Geelong

Division Three
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Sydney
GWS
*Collingwood
*Carlton

*randomly rotated each year

- Every AFL side would have a reserve's team.
- Each Melbourne based VFL team would rotate between leagues each year (this could be randomly drawn)

Method One - Only AFL Reserves
Each team plays off against the other teams in their division twice and the other teams in the other division once to figure out who advances through to the finals with the finals twice places going to the teams with the best win/loss ration and percentage margin.

Method Two - Opportunity for State League sides
Each side plays the teams in their league once to figure out an order. Then the top two teams play off against each other to figure out ladder positioning and who makes the top 4. Those finishing 3 & 4 in their division play off to see who make takes the last two spots in the finals and finally the bottom two teams play off against the other divisions bottom two to figure out if they stay in the reserves - last three teams drop out and are replaced by the GF winners from the state leagues.

Anyway just my take

Don't really see the point in mixing Victorian clubs with the non Victorian clubs. It just increases travel expenses.

It's a reserves league so it doesn't have to be a fair competition because the whole point of the comp is to get players ready for getting called up.

As for method two - one of the whole points of this thing is to completely separate the state leagues from AFL reserves.
The state teams don't want to be involved with AFL reserves and lose out from being part of reserves competitions

Yeah, like i said, the non-vic sides would do the bulk of the traveling. A reserves side would still need medical staff at matches, coaches, runners, trainers etc especially more so if a rezzies fixture does not coincide with the AFL fixture. There's also traveling to and from airports, meals and accommodation. I'm sure sponsorship could offset some costs. I'm not saying it isn't possible but that you neglected to consider other costs other that air fares for 22 players in your op.
My bad I thought you said 'vic clubs'.
The costs of things you've listed are so minimal to the clubs and the AFL that has billions of dollars. I don't think setting up a reserve nationals competition would hit speed bumps due to the travel costs of getting to the airport.

South
Australian
National
Feeder
League

Instead of trying to be the 'second best competition in Australia', try and become the best feeder league in Australia. Western Australia appears to be shitting it all over you at the moment.

Perth alone has the same population as South Australia.

Given that football is the major sport in both states, WA should out perform SA in terms of producing talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it time for a National Reserves League?

Back