Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Really?

You've been one of the most ardent supporters for placing our current ladder position almost entirely at the feet of the coach from start. This recent "one foot in each camp" nonsense where you say "I'm happy for him to stay" followed almost every time by a statement as to why he shouldn't is more about appearing to be moderate rather than an actual change of position.

Heres one example just from this post. Theres plenty more to chose from.

I've never said it's safe to keep him. I've never said things were impossible to fix. You've made that ridiculous claim a number of times now. You keep saying things that are simply not true and have never been said.

Why would I keep supporting this club if things were impossible to fix? I may be stupid but I'm not that intent on draining my life force. Yet again you see what you choose to see.

I have said over and over and over that a change of coach alone is not the answer. There has to be more. And the pro's and con's have to be weighed up to make sure the pain is worth the gain.

For the first time in years some of that "more" has a chance of being addressed this off season. Extra staff and funding will go a long way to addressing development and structural issues if we are judicious and smart about how we go about it.

So the next step in that discussion simply asks the question... if those changes benefit a new coach surely they would benefit the current one? And if that's the case then do we really need a public beheading?

You seem pretty sure about the course things will take in keeping him.

In fact you know it it seems.

These posts are your more recent moderate ones. You're position is clear, despite the softening of your language. And that's ok. I don't have any issue at all with that. You're entitled to it. There's far more of you on here certain that a new coach will solve our problems than the other way according to the poll so there's no need to hide from that position.

But if you are going to keep quoting and replying to my posts then understand that I'm going to keep calling you out. (EDIT -Actually I won't. I'm done with the tit for tat).

I've accepted that we most likely will axe another coach. What I struggle to accept, is whether there will be any extra benefit in doing it given the changes that will occur (that you place far less value on) anyway. It's really that simple.

How come you bothered to re-display my opinion to me Mate? I know what my position is LOL - yes - all you have highlighted, I think, I dont get it?

Im happy to disagree and talk footy but as things have gotten a bit repetitive and personal.. ill happily be the one to snap the tit for tat. For the sake of other posters. Cheers.

Is letting Leppa go at the end of this year more about who is available now that tickle their fancy whom may or may not be available at the end of next year?

Im happy to disagree and talk footy but as things have gotten a bit repetitive and personal.. ill happily be the one to snap the tit for tat. For the sake of other posters. Cheers.
I don't think you can claim the high ground on that, in a post that is titting NLD's final tat. Glad'you're done though.;)

But if you are going to keep quoting and replying to my posts then understand that I'm going to keep calling you out. (EDIT -Actually I won't. I'm done with the tit for tat).

I've accepted that we most likely will axe another coach. What I struggle to accept, is whether there will be any extra benefit in doing it given the changes that will occur (that you place far less value on) anyway. It's really that simple.

There are many reasons as to why Leppa must be sacked.

Commercially a Leppa led Lions are no longer a marketable commodity. Regardless of whether another coach could do better with the list there is one thing that Leppa Lions no longer embody and that is hope. Hope is the key plank from which memberships and commercial opportunities are built upon. A new coach brings hope and buys the club a further 2 seasons to improve and not harm our brand any further.

Staffing- It is common knowledge that we will be turning over a number of assistant coaches at the end of the season. Leppa will be integral in the employing of new assistants. If Leppa is then let go at the end of 2017, the new incoming coach will inherit Leppa's team of coaches, thus limiting the new coaches ability to select his staff.

Culture- The culture of whingeing and complaining Leppa has presented in the media and then encouraged his players to follow suit is an insight into his character. The opportunity to internally and publically build a culture of improvement and no excuses has been thrown out the window. Leppa could have built a 'shinboner' spirit amongst the group and let the board privately exert pressure on the AFL. If Leppa bothered to read any modern leadership books he will know that staff will stay with their employer if they feel their development and effort are valued. Leppa had a difficult task of building a roll the sleeves up culture to a bunch of overpaid young men and he failed.

Coaching- You will hear commentators say that they don't know if Leppa can coach. This is the industry protecting their own. It is clearly obvious that the lions do not have a game plan, education program or development system that builds belief in our ability to compete. Never before have an AFL team been transitioned against so easily to have scores kicked against them.

Development- Under Leppa's coaching we have not seen players develop. Taylor, Mayes, Gardiner and McStay were all better prepared for AFL in their 1st seasons straight out of the under 18s compared to where they are now. Physically they may be better but as footballers they are not. Apart from Rohan Bewick, I cannot think of another player who has improved significantly during Leppa's realm.

Our club can't afford another year with Leppa on or off the field. The time has come, our club needs to be strong and sack him.

Is letting Leppa go at the end of this year more about who is available now that tickle their fancy whom may or may not be available at the end of next year?

Maybe. Reckon the coaching merry go round will be spinning in 2017. Hardwick, Buckley, Brad Scott, Hinkley and perhaps even Rocket will be under the pump next year if their teams struggle.

Maybe. Reckon the coaching merry go round will be spinning in 2017. Hardwick, Buckley, Brad Scott, Hinkley and perhaps even Rocket will be under the pump next year if their teams struggle.
doomsday scenario- after 5-6 rounds next year leppa is still coach, we have suffered 3-4 10 + goal floggings, 1 honorable 30 point loss and 1 100 point belting from GWS. where do we go from there?

doomsday scenario- after 5-6 rounds next year leppa is still coach, we have suffered 3-4 10 + goal floggings, 1 honorable 30 point loss and 1 100 point belting from GWS. where do we go from there?
To the pub first,then to buy an Adelaide scarf coz deep down I supported them all along.

We pretty much had that scenario this year so we know how it pans out. The club needs to reset with a new coach or there won't be much hope for next year.

I am wondering whether with the afl's extra funding for footy dep spending if we can pry lingy away from media commitments and victoria as a development coach. Great footy brain, would be excellent in a development role, with or without leppa.

There are many reasons as to why Leppa must be sacked.

Commercially a Leppa led Lions are no longer a marketable commodity. Regardless of whether another coach could do better with the list there is one thing that Leppa Lions no longer embody and that is hope. Hope is the key plank from which memberships and commercial opportunities are built upon. A new coach brings hope and buys the club a further 2 seasons to improve and not harm our brand any further.

Staffing- It is common knowledge that we will be turning over a number of assistant coaches at the end of the season. Leppa will be integral in the employing of new assistants. If Leppa is then let go at the end of 2017, the new incoming coach will inherit Leppa's team of coaches, thus limiting the new coaches ability to select his staff.

Culture- The culture of whingeing and complaining Leppa has presented in the media and then encouraged his players to follow suit is an insight into his character. The opportunity to internally and publically build a culture of improvement and no excuses has been thrown out the window. Leppa could have built a 'shinboner' spirit amongst the group and let the board privately exert pressure on the AFL. If Leppa bothered to read any modern leadership books he will know that staff will stay with their employer if they feel their development and effort are valued. Leppa had a difficult task of building a roll the sleeves up culture to a bunch of overpaid young men and he failed.

Coaching- You will hear commentators say that they don't know if Leppa can coach. This is the industry protecting their own. It is clearly obvious that the lions do not have a game plan, education program or development system that builds belief in our ability to compete. Never before have an AFL team been transitioned against so easily to have scores kicked against them.

Development- Under Leppa's coaching we have not seen players develop. Taylor, Mayes, Gardiner and McStay bewick, all better prepared for AFL in their 1st seasons straight out of the under 18s compared to where they are now. Physically they may be better but as footballers they are not. Apart from Rohan Bewick, I cannot think of another player who has improved significantly during Leppa's realm.

Our club can't afford another year with Leppa on or off the field. The time has come, our club needs to be strong and sack him.
Strongly disagree on Bewick.

I am wondering whether with the afl's extra funding for footy dep spending if we can pry lingy away from media commitments and victoria as a development coach. Great footy brain, would be excellent in a development role, with or without leppa.
like the idea, not a fan of his media work but would be worth a go in a mentor/leadership type role.

good to see another first time poster on the board, we always need new opinions. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ling is a prize ****wit. Don't want him near my club.

Simpering stooge on channel 7 - not an independent thought in his head. Graduate of the Luke Darcy school of lobotomised boys club drones.

like the idea, not a fan of his media work but would be worth a go in a mentor/leadership type role.

good to see another first time poster on the board, we always need new opinions. :thumbsu:
Clearly knows what he is talking about, would be great with the kids.

I think Ling falls into the Garry Lyon category of being only slightly smarter than BT and the bulk of the footy media and having his reputation as a coach grow the longer he doesn't coach.
Bingo. Played for a super side so he comes with the tag of having a super football brain. Commentating with the likes of Cameron Mooney is bound to make anyone look smarter.

For what it's worth I had almost accepted the almost inevitable removal of Leppa weeks ago. Saturday night made me remove the almost part.

My posts did and continue to question the value of this endless cycle. The constant change and turmoil. The rerouting of our path like a psychotic GPS. We've gained nothing from it in the past and will continue to reap the same unless we make some deeper, fundamental changes at the club.

It's never really been about Leppa, although I feel he's been dealt a very harsh hand and as a loyal servant of our club I despise the level/nature of criticism and have defended him, its about this mindless, incessant, unrealistic, impossible desire for instant success.

You'll almost certainly get your wish.

But you'd bloody well better hope that the pot of gold that you seem so sure exists is actually there because if this all counts for nothing in 2 years time I will be beyond livid.

Theres been some absolutely ludicrous claims made in this thread about what someone else can or will or would do... if we tear ourselves apart again it had better be bloody worth it.

I'm sick of seeing my club embroiled in one saga after another. Enough is enough.

81215.jpg

Have a lie down mate! It's only sport.

I think anyone who expects a new coach to instantly change our fortunes is deluded.

No matter who we bring in, the re-building will take years. The reality is that many of our current playing list will have to go as they are just aren't up to it, so we'll have to bring others on board and develop them. Say a minimum of 3 years.

Obviously, whoever takes over the reins will have to do so pre-draft etc so they can put a stamp on the sort of player we most need.

My fear is that if we don't reasonably quickly arrest our decline the few good players we retain will go elsewhere. Why wouldn't they.

Correct...and Leppa does not have the skillset to enable a re-build.

One of my mates who is a broncos supporter-we have just been at their game-was telling me about the lunch that he went to today that Lambose was at.
He walked away absolutely convinced that we are on the right track and when it all comes together, look out.
All this on the basis of what he saw at the Bears and GWS. Credits Walls with laying the groundwork for 01,02, and 03 and that it will be the same with Leppa.
Keep the faith.

Yeah, not too sure who the next Voss, Lappin, Ackermanis, Black, Leppa, Power, Darryl White, Christ Scott, Shaun Hart or Clark Keating is on our list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back