Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You challenged me to find a single poster. There was more... and it was a pretty common theme for a while.

I'm pretty sure you're missing POBT's point. I don't think he's any way surprised that people were preferring Bolton, but I am also willing to be that none of those that you found were "suggesting that Bolton was some sort of mythical genius who could walk on water and his ability to make a silk purse out of a sows ear was unheralded." It's the hyperbole, not the relative merits of Bolton and Leppitsch.

I'm happy to accept criticism of my posting... that's always fair.

But is your apparent generalisation (in the post you called shit) any better than mine??

I'm not convinced you've disproved his hypothesis.

Sunday football Show - "The Purple Quill"( Barrett) stated that Brenton Sanderson after talks wih his wife is putting his hat back into the coaching ring...Panel seemed to think that would be as an assistant with his good mate Bucks...I'm not so sure that will happen..But am interested to see where he ends up..Would love him as an assistant with us..

I understand this discussion is about Leppa but there seems to be a mass exodus of assistant coaches at the end of this season, does anyone have any inside word about whose going to replace them. Maybe leppa willbebetter with different support around him. I like his analysis of the game after each match, I think he talks sense. So I'm just wondering if our development with these young players will be different with new assistants.

I understand this discussion is about Leppa but there seems to be a mass exodus of assistant coaches at the end of this season, does anyone have any inside word about whose going to replace them. Maybe leppa willbebetter with different support around him. I like his analysis of the game after each match, I think he talks sense. So I'm just wondering if our development with these young players will be different with new assistants.

This is a conversation that is largely neglected. One of the very real possibilities is we keep him for one last year and use FD cash injection to get a new team around him, something that would offer enough change to keep me happy for next year. Not sure who is realistic, montgomery? Sanderson?

They've won twice as many games as we have this season so yeah I wouldn't have minded that.

And yet they're no closer to a premiership than us. Arguably further, given half their team yesterday are in their prime years.

And yet they're no closer to a premiership than us. Arguably further, given half their team yesterday are in their prime years.
Yeah they are screwed. The worst part of bottoming out are the years just before bottoming out. Carlton have been putting it off since when MM took over and I think I'd go crazy if I were a supporter. At least with Brisbane the hard part is almost over. Even if you finish around the bottom next season at least you will be seeing 6-8 top draw young players running around which will be exciting. Nothing worse than finishing 12th or lower and seeing the core of your team over 25 with little youth. Rebuilds are actually pretty exciting for supporters when done properly and once your past the hard stuff imo.

This is a conversation that is largely neglected. One of the very real possibilities is we keep him for one last year and use FD cash injection to get a new team around him, something that would offer enough change to keep me happy for next year. Not sure who is realistic, montgomery? Sanderson?
I guess the only thing I would counter that with and I believe it's already been said, but if you were an aspiring assistant coach wanting to further your development would you be choosing Brisbane as that place under Leppa's regime?

I guess the only thing I would counter that with and I believe it's already been said, but if you were an aspiring assistant coach wanting to further your development would you be choosing Brisbane as that place under Leppa's regime?

No, but at the same time - if we throw a hefty pay packet at someone, as a senior assistant they will come. If it was we are just in the pool for a average assistant job to fill our panel, no.. no body of note would choose us IMO, as we are too likely to tarnish your resume. We will get someome.

I'm pretty sure you're missing POBT's point. I don't think he's any way surprised that people were preferring Bolton, but I am also willing to be that none of those that you found were "suggesting that Bolton was some sort of mythical genius who could walk on water and his ability to make a silk purse out of a sows ear was unheralded." It's the hyperbole, not the relative merits of Bolton and Leppitsch.

I haven't gone back to look, but my recollection is that at the time people were suggesting that Bolton was doing wonders, while Leppa was shit. There was very much a theme of this and mostly from those who have been calling for Leppa's sacking most of the year. Bolton was indeed held up as an example of ticking all the boxes of coaching.
To say people thought he was a genius or god, was probably an exaggeration from NLD, to make the point (and perhaps myself), but the comments and assertions at the time were fairly black & white (Bolton great, Leppa bad).

"What it does show however, is that the coach is only one piece of the team. The argument that we should have someone like him and that he would have got a lot more out of our cattle is fairly weak"

Thats is a fairly wide sweeping and over arching conclusion to draw from one small victory, basically, answering the age old question of the importance of coach?

If those sort of conclusions are being drawn from one result, Leppa catagorically should have been sacked by now.

For the record, my perception on the impact a new coach MIGHT have on us, given the succsess of a string of other new coaches recently - is not diminished at all after yesterday.

What that win does, and what a win in the next two weeks (will do even more) is make removing Justin harder, and rightly so, and for the 'you're failing horribly, show me why you should keep your job' camp, it makes it easier to digest rolling with him into his 4th year. So it is vitally important for all. A win againts the cats and it will save his job imo.

Not sure you win the importance of a coach argument though. Lol
My comments are completely independent of yesterday's result. Nor have I suggested one coach is better than the other. I have made no judgement calls about Leppa's ability based on a win. Quite simply, I suggested that Bolton hasn't yet proved anything, and that all coaches are constrained by the quality or readiness of their list.

I also didn't make any such argument. "Lol".:rolleyes:

Oh sorry - its just because you post was in a direct answer to a question about what yesterdays win means and a comparison of coaches ?

Someone asked you if what yesterdays result meant about Leppa and Bolton, and in relation to the ongoing coaching debate.. you basically said it shows that a first year coach can't or will struggle to impact change independently (in so many words) - in that qoute I highlighted, you then finished the post giving 2 scenarios it highlights, both of which tried to discredit the position of a particular group of posters view on coaching?

If that is not what you did, exactly, then I'll be dammed.

Its fine you did that (even though you didnt), I actually think the post made a good point, just thought it was a bit too much of a 'coaching argument victory' crow to take out of one close victory.

I believe that the club will stick with the path undertaken and will allow leppa to see out his contract with much needed assistance due to commitments by the afl. Hopefully a senior assistant to lean on. I also think that the club is stuck in a bit of a holding pattern until things like facilities are announced. Better times are on the horizon, hopefully a good draft and trade period the boost of a PP and just a little patience. 1 more year with no new contract until mid way through the season if things are going well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also didn't make any such argument. "Lol".:rolleyes:

Also to clarify - the argument I was referring to you 'winning', wasnt that Leppa is going to work, it was the fundermental argument about whether a new coach can do better next year, or if Leppa could have done better, an issue which I feel you tried to casually trump other posters on, pointing to yestedays game - just thought it was a bit of a stretch.

You're right... after walking away and rereading the posts, the generalisation I made of the language used at the time was over the top and I apologise for that and if people felt offended I'm sorry.

I guess we see what we chose to see and remember the same way.

Last edited:

Another way to consider this is Montgomery could come here ready to step in for Leppa if it doesn't go well again next year.

Again Montgomery has been at a successful club, and over the last couple of years has seen them develop young talent the way we need to to move up. So a good fit IMO.

Another way to consider this is Montgomery could come here ready to step in for Leppa if it doesn't go well again next year.

Again Montgomery has been at a successful club, and over the last couple of years has seen them develop young talent the way we need to to move up. So a good fit IMO.
Montgomery doesn't sound like a team player and seems to have a bit of a hot head/temperament issues. I don't think it's what we need.

Oh sorry - its just because you post was in a direct answer to a question about what yesterdays win means and a comparison of coaches ?

Someone asked you if what yesterdays result meant about Leppa and Bolton, and in relation to the ongoing coaching debate.. you basically said it shows that a first year coach can't or will struggle to impact change independently (in so many words) - in that qoute I highlighted, you then finished the post giving 2 scenarios it highlights, both of which tried to discredit the position of a particular group of posters view on coaching?

If that is not what you did, exactly, then I'll be dammed.

Its fine you did that (even though you didnt), I actually think the post made a good point, just thought it was a bit too much of a 'coaching argument victory' crow to take out of one close victory.
Fair enough, however the result was irrelevant, which is what I was getting at.

Also to clarify - the argument I was referring to you 'winning', wasnt that Leppa is going to work, it was the fundermental argument about whether a new coach can do better next year, or if Leppa could have done better, an issue which I feel you tried to casually trump other posters on, pointing to yestedays game - just thought it was a bit of a stretch.
I don't think I was making that argument.
My comments are completely independent of yesterday's result. Nor have I suggested one coach is better than the other. I have made no judgement calls about Leppa's ability based on a win. Quite simply, I suggested that Bolton hasn't yet proved anything, and that all coaches are constrained by the quality or readiness of their list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back