Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of players, half our team hasn't played half the season. Those who have, have played a handful together as 22. So unless replacing 5 experienced players with 5 draftees, I don't see that as a big deal. Hell, so many people insist there has been no development, so we'd lose nothing.
Even if we lose Rocky, as long as Beams manages to get back on the field, we've really lost nothing. We've only had one of them most of the last 2 years anyway.
As far as learning a new game plan is concerned, they can't get this one right (which one you ask? Exactly). The reason they struggle is skills and consistency of experience in the team. This game plan or a new one, won't change how much they're getting right.

So I agree with Beads. We may not progress in leaps and bounds, but can't see us being set back years.

....one was to "Leigh Mathews who is the footy director and board member of the Lions and in the media. Leigh, You have a young coach who has needed your support but you are either not there in Brisbane or you are not watching the games due to media commitments. You can't do both"

Yet Leppitsch himself said the following about Matthews only last week

"(Our relationship) out of ten, probably about a nine. Because nothing is ever a 10 in life.

“We’ve always been strong. We can have straight conversations, Leigh and I. Some people can’t.

“We are always talking… all I know is when I speak to the man. He’s been great and he’s been very supportive and upfront.’’

What does Walls want exactly?

Yet Leppitsch himself said the following about Matthews only last week

"(Our relationship) out of ten, probably about a nine. Because nothing is ever a 10 in life.

“We’ve always been strong. We can have straight conversations, Leigh and I. Some people can’t.

“We are always talking… all I know is when I speak to the man. He’s been great and he’s been very supportive and upfront.’’

What does Walls want exactly?

Ratings.

You'd like to hope that the few in the media that should have more than just a passing interest in the Lions would at least be productive in someway not just adding fuel to fires but it rarely seems to be the case at the moment.

I remember in a press conference a year or 2 ago Leppa saying that he has a weekly phone call with Leigh, or in person when he is up here. He talks to the players every now and then by all reports too.

That all being said, if Leigh did decide to go then Wallsy would be pretty high on the list of replacements I'd want.

I think like the Carlton of last year, we are at such a low base with on field performance that a new game plan from a solid coach will result in immediate results. I'm not just talking about wins or losses, but pressure, defensive structures and General competiveness and then the improved confidence of our players from not conceding 130 points a game.

I think like the Carlton of last year, we are at such a low base with on field performance that a new game plan from a solid coach will result in immediate results. I'm not just talking about wins or losses, but pressure, defensive structures and General competiveness and then the improved confidence of our players from not conceding 130 points a game.
The main reason we MAY see an improvement with a new coach, is surely the AFL won't give us such an unfair (Roos words) confidence destroying first 8 w
Well for start .... Critical is the coach (& assistant coaches) we get. Just can't see any quality experienced coaches lining up. So we go inexperienced again? Leppa could have played a defensive game style ... But these seldom win premierships. I accept absolutely that our defensive pressure has been woeful, but outside of a horrible confidence sapping draw, just don't believe we would get the same irrespective of whether Leppa or someone else is coach. I believe that a new coach with new gane plan, deli stings, rebuild etc will just put us behind where Leppa would take this side in another year, and believe we will actually be worse than where we would otherwise be. I am soooooo sick of changing coaches. Voss should never have been sacked, but that decision is gone, now we should give Leppa a fair go. None of this is any particular loyalty being a great ex- player, just that he has done what he said, and should have a fair crack going forward.

Carlton really isn't a great example. Granted there was improvement... but the reality was it wasn't sustainable. Once there was a decision made to start playing toward the future if you, like Carlton stumbled.

Getting a lift out of a new coach is one thing. Getting a sustained, renewable and long term one is another. It's just hard to get youth to do exactly what you want on a regular basis at times.

Carlton really isn't a great example. Granted there was improvement... but the reality was it wasn't sustainable. Once there was a decision made to start playing toward the future if you, like Carlton stumbled.

Getting a lift out of a new coach is one thing. Getting a sustained, renewable and long term one is another. It's just hard to get youth to do exactly what you want on a regular basis at times.
They improved markedly from coach with 1 yr.Sustained renewable long term is yet to be seen.Make that call after 3 yr contract is up.

Well this is going to make a lot of people commenting around here the last few days very happy I think.

Edit: Actually re-reading that sounds like déjà vu all over afain with the infighting at board level. Safe to say though if Leppa was to go Leigh wouldn't be far behind.

Late bid to save Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch from the axe
Caroline Wilson

A last-ditch attempt to save Justin Leppitsch from the axe at Brisbane has emerged in recent days after a robust board meeting on Tuesday which saw powerbroker Leigh Matthews insist upon adjourning the final decision until next week.

Matthews is understood to have scotched an attempt to discuss the besieged coach's future after a number of largely negative reviews from key players in the club's football section.
The Lions' three-time premiership coach and vice-president, whose future at the club is also in doubt, insisted the board hold firm on its undertaking to make a call on the coach at the end of the season.

A phone hook-up of the entire board has been tentatively scheduled for early next Monday.

However Fairfax Media understands another Brisbane director, Mick Power, spoke in favour of honouring Leppitsch's contract, a view which is at odds with the current thinking among most at the club and also the AFL.

Power has been a member of the influential coterie group, the Lethal Lions. That group's key member and long-time club benefactor John Pearce is believed to have contacted some club directors over the past weeks in a bid to lobby in favour of Leppitsch. Pearce is a former long-time No.1 ticket holder at Brisbane.

The divisions at board level at Brisbane reflect what has been described by a number of key players at the Gabba as a negative and toxic environment.

That negativity was also reflected in the club's recent presentation to the AFL Commission, which painted a bleak and concerning picture of life at the Brisbane Lions. The AFL took a dim view of the board presentation.

Leppitsch received a one-year contract extension at the start of the 2016 season in a decision led by the football sub-committee at the Lions led by Matthews and including CEO Greg Swann and chairman Bob Sharpless.

Chief executive Swann is scheduled to meet the AFL in Melbourne on Friday although it is not known whether Leppitsch's future or the forthcoming restructure of the Lions' football department is on the agenda.

Leppitsch was re-signed despite a largely negative review of the coach conducted by the club at the end of 2015, which included feedback from players and coaches and other football staff.

Leppitsch has been guaranteed a full pay-out should he be terminated as expected next week, a source of frustration at head office.

Tuesday's board meeting saw the majority of the Lions' on-field leadership group, including captain Tom Rockliff along with Daniel Merrett, Dayne Zorko and Daniel Rich, address the club directors.

List manager Peter Schwab also addressed the board, along with football manager Matthew Francis and Leppitsch, who put forward an impressive performance of the long-term on-field upside he saw at the Lions and also a strong bid to be allowed to see out his contract.

However, the overall impression following the other presentations was less favourable to the coach.

When board members were later asked for initial thoughts on Leppitsch's future Matthews demanded that debate was inappropriate and should be held next week. Leppitsch coaches his last game for 2016 against St Kilda on Sunday.

The cash-strapped Lions are looking for an enlarged financial boost from the AFL and are in debt to the tune of $13 million. AFL executives Mark Evans and Travis Auld have been working closely with the club in an attempt to rebuild it.

The future at the club of captain Rockliff is also uncertain although he remains contracted for 2017.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well this is going to make a lot of people commenting around here the last few days very happy I think.

Edit: Actually re-reading that sounds like déjà vu all over afain with the infighting at board level. Safe to say though if Leppa was to go Leigh wouldn't be far behind.

Caroline Wilson

A last-ditch attempt to save Justin Leppitsch from the axe at Brisbane has emerged in recent days after a robust board meeting on Tuesday which saw powerbroker Leigh Matthews insist upon adjourning the final decision until next week.

Matthews is understood to have scotched an attempt to discuss the besieged coach's future after a number of largely negative reviews from key players in the club's football section.
The Lions' three-time premiership coach and vice-president, whose future at the club is also in doubt, insisted the board hold firm on its undertaking to make a call on the coach at the end of the season.

A phone hook-up of the entire board has been tentatively scheduled for early next Monday.

However Fairfax Media understands another Brisbane director, Mick Power, spoke in favour of honouring Leppitsch's contract, a view which is at odds with the current thinking among most at the club and also the AFL.

Power has been a member of the influential coterie group, the Lethal Lions. That group's key member and long-time club benefactor John Pearce is believed to have contacted some club directors over the past weeks in a bid to lobby in favour of Leppitsch. Pearce is a former long-time No.1 ticket holder at Brisbane.

The divisions at board level at Brisbane reflect what has been described by a number of key players at the Gabba as a negative and toxic environment.

That negativity was also reflected in the club's recent presentation to the AFL Commission, which painted a bleak and concerning picture of life at the Brisbane Lions. The AFL took a dim view of the board presentation.

Leppitsch received a one-year contract extension at the start of the 2016 season in a decision led by the football sub-committee at the Lions led by Matthews and including CEO Greg Swann and chairman Bob Sharpless.

Chief executive Swann is scheduled to meet the AFL in Melbourne on Friday although it is not known whether Leppitsch's future or the forthcoming restructure of the Lions' football department is on the agenda.

Leppitsch was re-signed despite a largely negative review of the coach conducted by the club at the end of 2015, which included feedback from players and coaches and other football staff.

Leppitsch has been guaranteed a full pay-out should he be terminated as expected next week, a source of frustration at head office.

Tuesday's board meeting saw the majority of the Lions' on-field leadership group, including captain Tom Rockliff along with Daniel Merrett, Dayne Zorko and Daniel Rich, address the club directors.

List manager Peter Schwab also addressed the board, along with football manager Matthew Francis and Leppitsch, who put forward an impressive performance of the long-term on-field upside he saw at the Lions and also a strong bid to be allowed to see out his contract.

However, the overall impression following the other presentations was less favourable to the coach.

When board members were later asked for initial thoughts on Leppitsch's future Matthews demanded that debate was inappropriate and should be held next week. Leppitsch coaches his last game for 2016 against St Kilda on Sunday.

The cash-strapped Lions are looking for an enlarged financial boost from the AFL and are in debt to the tune of $13 million. AFL executives Mark Evans and Travis Auld have been working closely with the club in an attempt to rebuild it.

The future at the club of captain Rockliff is also uncertain although he remains contracted for 2017.
So he might go ..... Or he might not ?

Caroline Wilson

doesn't say anything that we didn't already know. early next week we will be all put out of our misery.

Interesting that the articles writes that "the overall impression following the other presentations was less than favourable" Can one board director save him? Does the article suggest the leadership group is not as united behind Leppa as we are lead to believe? With the exception of Rockliff.

Actually re-reading that sounds like déjà vu all over afain with the infighting at board level. Safe to say though if Leppa was to go Leigh wouldn't be far behind.

"Infighting"? It would be extremely rare that all members of boards agree 100% of the time on every agenda item that they deal with.

"Infighting"? It would be extremely rare that all members of boards agree 100% of the time on every agenda item that they deal with.
I agree but I dont think anyone here wants to see the mess that was created last time when Voss was moved on and the upheaval the club went through on the back of that.

Our club.

stock-photo-sieve-and-powdered-sugar-on-black-background-162324143.jpg

They may as well just invite Caro to the next meeting.

People really need to stop reading everything written in these types of articles as gospel. Caroline Wilson wasn't there. She is probably getting information third hand, parts of which may or may not be accurate.

Everyone likes to read into these things their preferred narrative. But speculation about speculation on an ongoing basis just seems to have no point. We will know the outcome soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back