Opinion Is our #1 guernsey cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who remembers Marc Lock? Our first ever captain back in the TAC Cup and VFL years and our first ever best and fairest winner who first wore the #1 guernsey for us. His third year at the club (our first in the AFL) saw a massive decline for Marc. He managed just one AFL game and was delisted at the end of the year.

Then we have Jaeger O'Meara. He was given the #1 after Lock and labeled the chosen one. He went on to put together one of the best rookie seasons the AFL has ever seen. Fast forward to his third year (just like Lock) and we're having problems again. Now O'Meara is packing his bags.

Is our #1 guernsey cursed?

Who remembers Marc Lock? Our first ever captain back in the TAC Cup and VFL years and our first ever best and fairest winner who first wore the #1 guernsey for us. His third year at the club (our first in the AFL) saw a massive decline for Marc. He managed just one AFL game and was delisted at the end of the year.

Then we have Jaeger O'Meara. He was given the #1 after Lock and labeled the chosen one. He went on to put together one of the best rookie seasons the AFL has ever seen. Fast forward to his third year (just like Lock) and we're having problems again. Now O'Meara is packing his bags.

Is our #1 guernsey cursed?
Both turned out to be self absorbed tools so maybe you're right

But then again Mav never wore it

How many gun #1 have there been? I wouldnt ever choose #1 or #2
There aren't many #1 guns currently in the comp. Phil Davis, Jesse Hogan, Travis Boak. Couple of old ones, Paul Roos, Barry Hall.

This made me think, what is the most successful number? If we just look at current players, it has to be #9 right? We are talking Rory Sloan, Dayne Beams, Patrick Cripps, Brendon Goddard, Tom Scully, Shaun Burgoyne, Andrew Swallow, Robbie Gray, Trent Cotchin, Nic Nat, Jake Stringer and of course, Gary Ablett. Damn that line up would make a great midfield!

Then you have old players like Shane Crawford, David Neitz, Ben Cousins.

Anyone got a more successful number than #9?

Forget the #1, the whole freaking club is cursed.

But in saying that, up until this year #3 looked awful. Jared Brennan into Timmy Sumner. Thank god for Rosa.

Maybe we do a Hawthorn and give #1 to the fan(s). Although I think they have a cursed number as well, #36.
I think 7 is worse. Karmichael Hunt into Nick Malceski

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness Marc Lock wasn't quite up to AFL level and I suspect he was gifted that game against Carlton as he was the local face that we knew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but I think the evidence to date with Pearce suggests the trend has continued and our #1 guernsey is in fact cursed.

Pearce seems to have been really unlucky while wearing the #1 for us with the most recent incident involving a broken hand. What's wrong with our #1 guernsey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back