Is our best player, our most important player?

Remove this Banner Ad

is2SWaNz

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2006
UNSW
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Jarrad McVeigh
I saw this in the Main Board (AFL) and I thought it was a really good question. Trying to stimulate some activity in this board, who do you think is our best player? But are they our most important player?

Our best players, IMO, is Hall and Goodes.

Although, Hall has been one of our best players his absence really doesn't have a big impact on our game.

Our most important player would be Kennelly and LRT. Though some might not agree with LRT, but his height down at the back was really missing throughout the 07 season. And as for Kennelly, his absence distorts our backline structure. We hardly have any structure without him.

LRT? you are a clown

no, i don't think there's any clownishness in this opinion....i don't think any of us truly realises how much we missed having a big body in our defence in 07, wekk in week out banging up against the big-bodied forwards....without LRT, craig bolton, leo and teddy had to play against bigger opponents far too often, which they did as bravely and for as long as possible but in the end it affected their game, look at c bolton against rocca in our clashes with the pies....we all agree bolton is a gun, and i assume we all agree rocca is a temperamental, pea-hearted cat, but with all the pies' other forward weapons, rocca was able to simply outmuscle bolton and make himself look a star
this also magnified the loss of kennelly, which in turn forced malceski to play more a kennelly role, which he can do but not every week at the expense of his own game

three blokes is not our best player, nor our most important, but he is vital to what they call "team set-up", and i think that's what this thread was aiming at

we proved against hawthorn in round 22 that we are capable of a very successful style of footy without barry hall, whereas our defensive set-up is far more reliant on having that big body at the heart of it

I think I posted in that thread.

Our best: Hall and Goodes

Most Important: Kennelly and Kirk

That pretty much sums it up. There's no doubt that Hall and Goodsey are our best. Kennelly gives us that run from defence whilst Kirk is the genneral in the middle. I would throw Jolly into the most important category also. If he went down we would be in alot of trouble.

Goodes, O'Keefe, Kennelly, Malceski and Hall are in the group of our best players

As for our can't live without players, look at how we have gone with Malceski and Kennelly out of the side and I think we would be as good as lost without Craig Bolton and Adam Goodes. You can make a case for Brett Kirk for the leadership and midfield grunt he provides and I suppose if we want to make a Premiership push, Everitt and Jolly are important as well (but cases against them always can be put).

I'll re-hash my post from the main board:

Best Player: Goodes
Most Important: Hall (Kirk very close considering his ability to lift the team however last season highlighted how important Hall is to our team)

Best Player: Goodes and Hall
Most Important: The combination of Hall, Goodes, Kirk, Kennelly, O'Keefe, and Jolly

with the combination the team just meshes together and seems to run smoothly, missing some of those players (Hall and Kennelly) you just don't see the whole 'cycle' completed.

Jolly's provision of the ball in the midfield = Kennelly's run off half-back = Goodes and Kirk progressing the ball through the midfield = O'Keefe carrying the ball through the flank = Hall banging it through

See? A cycle. :)

Most Important: The combination of Hall, Goodes, Kirk, Kennelly, O'Keefe, and Jolly

with the combination the team just meshes together and seems to run smoothly, missing some of those players (Hall and Kennelly) you just don't see the whole 'cycle' completed.

:rolleyes:
So when we have our good players missing the team runs less smoothly?
Revolutionary.

Craig Bolton is our most important player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes is the best by a bigger margin than Geelong won the GF.

As for most important as many have suggested very good cases could be put forward for any of C.Bolton, T.Kennelly, B.Hall and the two ruckman. At a pinch I'd say Kennely because he actually gives us serious run and carry out of defence and opens the game up.

Goodes is definitely our best, but i still believe that Hall is our most important player.

I know the point about how we played without them round 22 has come up, but just imagine if Barry would have played a solid game this year, or even the 06 GF for that matter.

I know for me, when the Swans are in trouble the one player that i want to stand up is Barry because the impact he can have on a game. When he gets fired up, he fires everyone up around him and that is very important. In the 05 GF after Barry kicked that goal and he pumped it, i knew we were going to win.

I really hope that next year he can just completely focus on his football and get back to being the Barry Hall that we all love. If he can, then i can see us going all the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is our best player, our most important player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back