Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Have faith in our learnings

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 32 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They can come down here. We don't want their colours or the name "kangaroos", but McKercher is certainly welcome.
You on the hunt for Tazzy blokes? I’ve got the perfect tall forward for you

IMG_0647.png

There remains a lot of red flags and I don't think we're a legitimate contender at this stage, but coming into the year, one thing I really wanted to see is more trust put into the kids, with an eye to the future. They've succeeded on that front so far – all the below guys are 22 and under:
  • Pickett: obviously one of our most important players – averaging career highs so far, albeit from a limited sample size.
  • Rivers: last few games have been good after a slower start
  • McVee: already entrenched in the 22, but has developed more of an attacking flair this year.
  • Windsor: couldn't have asked for much more from a first-year wing.
  • JVR: while his form has been sketchy, he's still doing fairly well for a second-year KPF who's also taking back-up ruck duties.
  • Howes: has had a handful of strong performances, and his defensive work + composure is really quite good for a kid who has played seven games (especially considering he was viewed by plenty as potential material).
  • Turner: could definitely have something here, looked natural as a forward.
  • Laurie: got some reward tonight after good VFL form.
  • Tholstrup: not ready for AFL footy yet, but has some good traits to work with.
  • Woewodin: there's a bit there, just hard for him to get continuity without a solid role.
  • Bowey: walk-up start in our 22, just unfortunate he got injured in R0.

That's 11 guys 22 and under who have played for us in seven rounds, and I'd argue that more than half of them have made significant contributions to us winning games. To be 5-2 shows that the list might actually be in better shape moving forward than some of us thought.

Compare that to teams like Collingwood who have only had four players in that age range get games this year, and it makes for some positive reading (even if our gameplan/forward structure is still extremely suspect).

There remains a lot of red flags and I don't think we're a legitimate contender at this stage, but coming into the year, one thing I really wanted to see is more trust put into the kids, with an eye to the future. They've succeeded on that front so far – all the below guys are 22 and under:
  • Pickett: obviously one of our most important players – averaging career highs so far, albeit from a limited sample size.
  • McVee: already entrenched in the 22, but has developed more of an attacking flair this year.
  • JVR: while his form has been sketchy, he's still doing fairly well for a second-year KPF who's also taking back-up ruck duties.
  • Howes: has had a handful of strong performances, and his defensive work + composure is really quite good for a kid who has played seven games (especially considering he was viewed by plenty as potential material).
  • Tholstrup: not ready for AFL footy yet, but has some good traits to work with.
  • Woewodin: there's a bit there, just hard for him to get continuity without a solid role.

That's 11 guys 22 and under who have played for us in seven rounds, and I'd argue that more than half of them have made significant contributions to us winning games. To be 5-2 shows that the list might actually be in better shape moving forward than some of us thought.

Compare that to teams like Collingwood who have only had four players in that age range get games this year, and it makes for some positive reading (even if our gameplan/forward structure is still extremely suspect).

I think we're building a really solid group of role players for the future, Kozzy is the only one with star potential though (TBD on Windsor) which is fine considering we haven't had those elite picks to get those players.

Why 22 and not 25 though? Just means you can add a handful of blokes that might be off the list in 3 years. Pies might be older but they're also trying to win flags, when May and Gawn walk in a couple years and our ass falls out because they are crucial to the way we play it won't matter how many Lauries we have.

Why 22 and not 25 though? Just means you can add a handful of blokes that might be off the list in 3 years. Pies might be older but they're also trying to win flags, when May and Gawn walk in a couple years and our ass falls out because they are crucial to the way we play it won't matter how many Lauries we have.

We were literally all asking for them to play the kids preseason (Including you), not sure what is wrong with this post? I'm extremely critical of our coaches but in terms of development at least we're trying to play the kids.

We were literally all asking for them to play the kids preseason (Including you), not sure what is wrong with this post? I'm extremely critical of our coaches but in terms of development at least we're trying to play the kids.
Because we're in a thread about our flag window not a thread about playing the kids big fella. I hate the age list things, people said the same about Richmond's quality youf a couple years ago about how they refreshed so well and now they just have a bunch of Bakers and Grahams who are good AFL players but ain't winning them flags.

Because we're in a thread about our flag window not a thread about playing the kids big fella. I hate the age list things, people said the same about Richmond's quality youf a couple years ago about how they refreshed so well and now they just have a bunch of Bakers and Grahams who are good AFL players but ain't winning them flags.

Don't recall anyone saying that about Richmond, it was pretty clear their kids were bad three-four years ago.

Don't recall anyone saying that about Richmond, it was pretty clear their kids were bad three-four years ago
Lol well it definitely happened because I've brought it up here before and laughed about it.

I'm glad we're playing kids and we have 4-5 really good ones but this ain't the occasion to bring out your little super hero cape.

Our coach is better at stifling talent than harnessing it

Lol well it definitely happened because I've brought it up here before and laughed about it.

I'm glad we're playing kids and we have 4-5 really good ones but this ain't the occasion to bring out your little super hero cape.

Our coach is better at stifling talent than harnessing it

Sure it did.

Don't necessarily disagree about Goody either, you know I don't rate him.

I think we're going to get worse before we get better and we need to draft more elite talent ASAP because I can see us really falling in a hole otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's definitely a positive this season that we're getting games into some talented kids, instead of just playing the same old average senior players and hoping for the best.

Still need our core stars to get it together consistently if we want to make a mark in finals this year. But at least the future is a little brighter.

If we go 0-2 against Geelong/Carlton then you just shut that s**t tbh.

1-1 I’m interested, 2-0 and I’ll be back on.
Not me if the 1-1 is another dead contest that we win scoring 70 points. We already know on our day we can drag teams down to our level it hasn't helped us for 2 years though.

Not me if the 1-1 is another dead contest that we win scoring 70 points. We already know on our day we can drag teams down to our level it hasn't helped us for 2 years though.
I'd be interested if we won SEVENTY points to ZERO. :sneaky:

IMG_0650.gif

Somehow get the forward line functioning and see some positives from our ‘stars’, and win the next 2 games, then we are a chance. Would want to dramatically change though. We arent winning a flag with what I’ve seen from the first 7 weeks.

Reality is a hard yes. There’s also no such thing as rebuilding. It’s done. A friend of mine is the manager for a Collingwood player, in various talks with other agents and individuals from football departments the general consensus is that any club trying to rebuild is doomed to fail. It’s all about top ups, trading, and free agency. Yes the young kids are good, but with Tasmania about to horde the draft in a few years the importance of topping up like Geelong have is critical.

Melbourne need to be on the offensive for experienced players and good players that can regularly be brought in. That’s the only we stay in contention. If we think it’ll just happen through Windsor, JVR, Turner etc then we are going to be bitterly disappointed, especially when May and Gawn call time and there’s nobody available to fill their roles.

Somehow get the forward line functioning and see some positives from our ‘stars’, and win the next 2 games, then we are a chance. Would want to dramatically change though. We arent winning a flag with what I’ve seen from the first 7 weeks.

Reality is a hard yes. There’s also no such thing as rebuilding. It’s done. A friend of mine is the manager for a Collingwood player, in various talks with other agents and individuals from football departments the general consensus is that any club trying to rebuild is doomed to fail. It’s all about top ups, trading, and free agency. Yes the young kids are good, but with Tasmania about to horde the draft in a few years the importance of topping up like Geelong have is critical.

Melbourne need to be on the offensive for experienced players and good players that can regularly be brought in. That’s the only we stay in contention. If we think it’ll just happen through Windsor, JVR, Turner etc then we are going to be bitterly disappointed, especially when May and Gawn call time and there’s nobody available to fill their roles.

Forward line is not going as badly as we might think.

So far this year, we're rated 8th for goals per inside 50 (8th for accuracy).

Last year we were 14th for goals per inside 50 (also 8th for accuracy).

We've gone down in supply. 13th for inside 50s this year, 1st last year.

If we could lift the inside 50 supply and keep the current efficiency we'd be killing it.

If we could lift the inside 50 supply and keep the current efficiency we'd be killing it.
There's something wrong somewhere - have a look at the points for. We are ~100 points behind our top 6 rivals.

Geelong are literally the only club in the past decade to win a flag without bottoming out. The full rebuild is absolutely the best way to build a team, it just looks terrible when it backfires. Do agree though Tasmania destroying the draft makes it a scary proposition in the next 3-4yr.

I’m critical of our lack of leading at the footy but the midfield is the area that needs to lift the most. They’ve had a shithouse last four games.

Geelong are literally the only club in the past decade to win a flag without bottoming out. The full rebuild is absolutely the best way to build a team, it just looks terrible when it backfires. Do agree though Tasmania destroying the draft makes it a scary proposition in the next 3-4yr.
I, for one, welcome our new Tasmanian overlords.

Back