Is Port 11 the worst team since Fitzroy 96 ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Legit point. Perfect illustration is Richmond.
Richmond had five picks in the top 20 of the 2004 draft and only Brett Deledio, taken with pick one, is still the club. The Tigers also recruited Richard Tambling (pick four) before the Hawks nabbed Franklin at No.5.
Wallace said the Tigers could have had one of the best forward lines in the competition, with Franklin lining up alongside Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown, Andrew Krakouer, David Rodan and Travis Cloke.
Cloke was available to the Tigers under the father-son rule and could have been taken with a third-round selection.
Wallace also said if Richmond had managed Brad Ottens better, the ruckman could still be running around in the yellow and black.
The Tigers traded Ottens at the end of 2004 for picks 12 and 16, which they used on Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison.

i take your point but i disagree. could it have been that the picks taken didnt flourish in the afl because the development wasnt there? is hard to know either way. hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time there was serious issues with franklin regarding his mental application, and note that hawthorn took roughead first. now we know that was wrong but that happens. like the issue with selwoods knees. tambling at the time was lauded as freak so at the time it was a good selection but that has proven to be wrong also, but i would argue it may have been the way they were developed over the players talent.
cloke was not available as he chose collingwood so we didnt pass him over. finally ottens chose to leave so what would you have the club do, it was his choice. krak was imprisoned so thats the reason he was let go, no other reason. finally the other picks didnt turn out either so i guess in hindsight they failed as well. wallace was talking about a sliding doors moment which would have meant picking franklin first,lids to haw,roughead to dogs,griffen the tigers and so on.

imo i reckon its more about development that picks. the pies have prob 8 more development coaches than port. thats why players can slot into the pies team and be effective. yes talent really helps but you cant tell me that fasolo would be as good at port or whatever club is near or on the bottom than at the pies.
You are correct but that is not the point.

Fasolo has talent, he always had talent, it didn't suddenly appear when he got to Collingwood.

Carlton spotted Duigan, he was right in Ports backyard, so was Puopolo.

The list of talented players missed by Port is staggering which reinforces my point, its not necessarily the picks you get, its more about who you pick.

As Macca19 said, Port having part-timers and no-name officials is the real issue.

But these things are cyclical everyone gets their turn at the top and everyone gets their turn at the bottom; its how the AFL has planned it

They're not alone tho...Port, Melbourne, Richmond... none of them are anywhere near up to standard. With the addition of these extra teams the gap is just going to get bigger.
I don't understand :confused:

Surely Melbourne are up to AFL standard, sitting 11 and being the second youngest team in the league.

Love the kneejerk after a few weeks of turmoil, suddenly the players are no hopers now.

Yeah, the same players who knocked off Freo by 15 goals about a month and a half ago.

Wow.

Port's situation is very, very dire.

They are absolutely, completely irrelevant at the moment in this competition. If I could think of one positive for them I would, but I just cannot... one would be perhaps this is their absolute lowest ebb, but they were saying that last week, and the week before that, and the week before that and so on... when is this going to stop? I just can't see how at the moment.

People can compare their situation to the "Oh but West Coast finished bottom last year and now look at them" but the Eagles were absolutely nowhere near as completely woeful as this current Port Adelaide team. Plus the Eagles had enormous financial resources and security, large membership base and the rest behind them, something Port Adelaide do not have and with more performances like the last few weeks it is only going to get worse in this regard.

Very dark times for a club. I cannot remember an outlook so bleak for a club since yep... Fitzroy as the thread title suggests.

My god you, and most people in this thread are over dramatic.

Yes we are shit, we know it. We will get the spoon this year and next year. We might be bottom 4 for the next 3-4 years. So be it.

Every club goes through what he have. It wasn't long ago Carlton were irrelevant, but things change.

Your acting as if the world is coming to an end, just shut the **** up. We are shit but we get through it, might take 5 years but we will come back

"The sad, deflated Fitzroy team managed a better record on death row than Carlton.

In the 135 games leading up to their emotional final outing in 1996, the Lions won 33.

The homeless Lions, emotionally wounded by the loss of key players, managed a send-off winning strike-rate of 24.4 per cent. Since the start of 2002, Carlton has a winning strike-rate of 21.5."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...itzroy-say-stats/story-e6frf9k6-1111116009982

You are correct but that is not the point.

Fasolo has talent, he always had talent, it didn't suddenly appear when he got to Collingwood.

Carlton spotted Duigan, he was right in Ports backyard, so was Puopolo.

The list of talented players missed by Port is staggering which reinforces my point, its not necessarily the picks you get, its more about who you pick.

As Macca19 said, Port having part-timers and no-name officials is the real issue.

But these things are cyclical everyone gets their turn at the top and everyone gets their turn at the bottom; its how the AFL has planned it

The thing about Collingwood at the moment apart from everything else is just their supreme confidence. It struck me while watching them the other night when the guys that are ranked 25-30th on their list are marking the ball one handed in the driving rain running backwards, whilst the best players on our list are dropping chest marks. Whilst Collingwood have much more talent on their list than Port, I don't think it is feasible to say that their 28th ranked player is better than Port's 4th best player, but at the moment thay are playing that way.

Confidence is a wonderful thing, Port have none.

Mark Williams has a fair bit to answer for. I never understood his fascination in drafting relatives to the playing list.
I can't see things getting better for Port with free agency coming in and priority picks getting the flick. It'll cost them a lot to keep the players they want and leave little in return to sign a big fish. They'll just become a development squad for the wealthier clubs.

Choco is a big club man, do you know what I mean? Port were a big club when he was with us, we believed we were anyway. But - we were also living in the past. Since 1997 we have been relying on our amazing success in SA to create a backdrop for us but with Choco from '99 we were playing like PAFC too. We had an attacking game plan and when it didn't work we had excuses to do with X player Y injury. We plugged the holes and got a flag and then, that was basically it. Experiment 'get Port into AFL and win national flag' was complete and Choco did not lend a hand in rebuilding us to continue the fight. My point is we had something big to play for and something to prove and he instilled that in us, he did it well, but either had no idea what to do next or didn't want to. Maybe it was the plan all along, all he had to do was land us a flag in the big league but stayed too long (not that we didn't ask for it). Clearly, though, he left us with a shocking list void of senior players that could carry the team for a few years and full of senior players that were misused and abused who are now basically worthless.

As a North supporter I was there when they smashed us in the 07 Prelim and it's amazing this is the same team who played (albeit badly) in a Grand Final 4 years ago.

I look through their Grand Final team and it seems every young player who played that day has since gone on to fail to live up to expectations for whatever reason. Logan, Pearce, Salopek, Westhoff, Surjan, Pettigrew and even Boak would have been in Port's grand plan for the future that day but none has stepped up. Now the older members of that side are all but gone - Burgoyne brothers, Lade, Wakelin, Tredrea and now Cornes, there's a massive vacuum of talent caused by these younger guys (young in '07 at least) there that has come at precisely the wrong time.

With the fans now deserting them (how can you have more empty seats than full at a stadium for a home game against Collingwood despite the weather or anticipated uneveness?) I hope they can full it together soon.

Obviously Fasolo would not be a good in the current Port team as Collingwood, but at least he is built like a footballer, compare this to the scrawny players running around for Port who have been on their list for several years.

Take the licence off the SANFL and let Port govern themselves. The SANFL hates Port, always have and are only interested in milking them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port look like a rabble atm, i reckon Boak will come back to Vic next year as will Trengove and Hartlett

Boak may be contracted and Hartlett is a SA boy.

Some good young talent - about 8-10 good kids. Drafting good kids with early picks and good mature aged players with later/rookie picks over 2-3 years and Port will be a good team again.

Moving to the Adelaide Oval will help greatly too.

Most teams go through a down patch. This is theirs.

Boak may be contracted and Hartlett is a SA boy.

Some good young talent - about 8-10 good kids. Drafting good kids with early picks and good mature aged players with later/rookie picks over 2-3 years and Port will be a good team again.

Moving to the Adelaide Oval will help greatly too.

Most teams go through a down patch. This is theirs.

Listening to Boaky today, he sounds like he is staying long term and ot makes sense because we'll be on the rise by the time he is out of contract.

In relation to Macca 18's post

It was, but my post was in reference to players wanting to leave the club and their off-field issues as well, which we have none of atm

Why say that Macca? Just shitstirring which is good for no-one

Mark Williams has a fair bit to answer for. I never understood his fascination in drafting relatives to the playing list.
I can't see things getting better for Port with free agency coming in and priority picks getting the flick. It'll cost them a lot to keep the players they want and leave little in return to sign a big fish. They'll just become a development squad for the wealthier clubs.

On this, do you believe that if they do go down the path of removing the priority pick that they will allow current teams with less than 5 wins this year to still be entitled to the pick should they do the same next year. IMO it makes sense as we are in the current cycle (wishful thinking maybe ;))

Hopefully by our move to Adelaide Oval :)thumbsu:) in 2014 we may be pushing towards the top 8 once again. Need an overhaul first of the coaching panel expected this year and a complete review of the playing list.

On this, do you believe that if they do go down the path of removing the priority pick that they will allow current teams with less than 5 wins this year to still be entitled to the pick should they do the same next year. IMO it makes sense as we are in the current cycle (wishful thinking maybe ;))

Hopefully by our move to Adelaide Oval :)thumbsu:) in 2014 we may be pushing towards the top 8 once again. Need an overhaul first of the coaching panel expected this year and a complete review of the playing list.

Getting rid of the priority picks will happen and unfortunately some poor team will miss out, and that poor team will be you guys.

Pettigrew
Surjan
Cassissi
Chaplin
Salopek
Kane Cornes
Chad Cornes
Rodan
Motlop
Pearce
Westhoff
Ebert
Boak
Logan

These are the guys played in the 2007 grand final that play now, yes they got beaten horribly, but the did make the grand final to start with, wtf happened after that?

Pettigrew
Surjan
Cassissi
Chaplin
Salopek
Kane Cornes
Chad Cornes
Rodan
Motlop
Pearce
Westhoff
Ebert
Boak
Logan

These are the guys played in the 2007 grand final that play now, yes they got beaten horribly, but the did make the grand final to start with, wtf happened after that?

Most of those guys should only be hitting peak form about now as well, so its not as if they are on the decline physically. Its very strange...

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Port 11 the worst team since Fitzroy 96 ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back