Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they? Taylor got off pretty light for his indiscretion IMO.
Well we're not talking about stealing a seatbelt at the end of his first year, so I would like to think they have taken a path of trying to adjust his behaviour, over the course of 4 years. You'd also like to think that passing attitude flaws would have actually passed.
The question is, whether the club has done enough so far, do you punt on yet another year or more of trying to rectify things? Can we afford the chance that he might come good?
I wouldn't put it past the club to take the easy route (again) and place his footballing value (and perceived value to fans) ahead of making the tough call to drop a very good player. That's what this club does after all, take the easy route. We can just sack the next coach if the culture and standards don't improve.

Hasn't been the same since Cian has been here. Coincidence? Possibly.

A man phoned SEN saying he was hearing rumours out of Brisbane that Pearce has hip problems and wants to go home to finish his career playing Gaelic footy while he still can.

That sounds feasible to me. Perhaps he's been battling his conscience..

I wouldn't put it past the club to take the easy route (again) and place his footballing value (and perceived value to fans) ahead of making the tough call to drop a very good player. That's what this club does after all, take the easy route. We can just sack the next coach if the culture and standards don't improve.

images

THE CYNICISM IS STRONG IN THIS ONE!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I don't doubt that there have been issues going back a few years if the club knew of and 'has been trying to fix' behavioural issues in respect of Rocky and Hanley for over 4 years, then they really have no-one to blame but themselves, and they have clearly been sending very mixed signals in doing so.

Pearce for me is an interesting one.

As a footballer I love the bloke. As a story, I love the bloke. The times I've met him he's been great.
He came over here, spent a couple of years getting his body right and became the second most successful Irish import in the game. And this year from about round six he has been crap.

The pop-psychologist in me would suggest that:

- his body isn't right
- he has lost pace and evasiveness and can't do (at the moment) what he was doing for the last three years
- It has caused him to doubt himself
- after establishing himself as one of the most important players in our team and a player we rely on to create and win us games he hasn't been able to do that this year. And he is shit scared that he will never be able to do it again, and when you are scared you get defensive, and when you get defensive you start playing for yourself, and when you do that you become a shit player and an even shittier leader
- in his mind he carried this team and stayed loyal for years, and just now when it looks like we have the young guys to go on, his body may be letting him down, and he is shit scared.
- and maybe if he is going out he is thinking, I spent the last few years focussing on football and not taking advantage of my status and if I'm going to get kicked to the curb, I'll grab those free drinks while I can

- think what Hanley needs is a good sports psychologist. Because what he needs to get into his head is that ever player loses pace, but it deson't need to be the end, and that he needs to get his head around working with his body.

- I think its made more difficult because Cian is here and injured. Cian is not the natural talent Pearce is. To be honest we would likely have never signed Cian if we'd not had pearce (there is a little bit of the V2 about it). Cian has been injured for two years, it may well be that we cut him this year, it may well be that the only reason we haven't cut him yet is pearce.

So as much as we piss all over pearce, lets try to have some empathy, in his head, he may be playing for his career (and that of his brother).

I thought this exact same thing, word-for-word, the other night.

Petroro is a very good player manager probably the best in the business. The fact that some don't know who he is a good thing as managers should not be seen nor heard. I met him at a sports function earlier this year and found him to be a really good friendly bloke.
I honestly believe that Rocky needs to stay on, as does all our other leaders. We need to build our leadership group not diminish it.
I think some journalists, with their own agendas, are getting ahead of themselves re: Rockcliff.
List Managers and Coaches make list decisions NOT Journalists.

At the end of the day the decision will need to be made by someone speaking candidly to all parties involved. If a trade - or a change of captain - is made - then there's clearly something to the smoke that we decided we couldn't work through.

If not - I'd hate for everyone to be hardening themselves against our skipper over rumours and whispers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back