Is Rowan Jones Finished?

Remove this Banner Ad

B-P-B said:
Bad news for Adam Selwood... :(
ohh hell!................. :eek: :( hopefully it'll be third time (or wherever Bunnings is in the Cometti line) lucky!

As for Jonesy, I think he'll be given chances early on in 2005 which he'll need to take, then again should anyone be injured. He may not figure in the best 22 anymore but he would still be near the top of those who'd come in. Wasn't he part of the leadership group this year?

TRIGGAMAN said:
No man! ....no.

Funny how after a bit of a dodgy year the knives come out.

Yeah, but mainly because there are so many kids coming through that are probably more talented than him.

Footy's a strange game. Time was that there were shouts for Embers to be delisted and he resonded with an outstanding season. I don't see why Jones can't do the same. He's had a few injuries over the past two years, he was a very good tagger but hasn't been able to play that role due to injury. I think he could make small defender, HFF or F pocket. Bit like Wooden really, at some stage his experience may be very valuable.

Hopefully not - I like to see players make it in the big time from small country towns like Mukembooden. There are two current eagles from here, Rowan Jones and Mark Seaby. I think the two may actually be related some how.

Casey said:
Hopefully not - I like to see players make it in the big time from small country towns like Mukembooden. There are two current eagles from here, Rowan Jones and Mark Seaby. I think the two may actually be related some how.
I think Jonesy and Seabs are cousins.

IMO our best 24 looks like this:

B: Hunter Glass Wirrpunda
HB: Waters Lynch Stenglein
C: Kerr Cousins Braun
HF: Embley Gardiner Sampi
F: Seaby McDougall Matera
Foll: Cox Judd Fletcher

Int: Butler Wooden Staker Banfield Hansen Smith

I dunno - maybe you could slot him onto the bench. But even then I reckon Nicoski, Adkins and Chick are ahead of him.

If we want to give guys like Selwood, B. Jones and Morton opportunities next year, then R. Jones goes even further back in the pecking order.

Jimmy_the_Gent said:
Had a few goals today a proved to me a handy player, if he keeps it up he won't be finished at the end of this season.

On ya Rowan!

Kicking a few goals in the pre-season will give him some confidence, which he lacked throughout most of last year, going into the season proper, so hopefully he'll be able to carry this form on.

Was astonished to see him slot goals of the kind which were guaranteed Jonesy Out on the Full specials for most of last year- time will tell whether thats a flash in the pan, or he's done enough work on his skills to capitalise on his marking and ball winning ability up forward. Certainly an unlooked for positive though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

coasting said:
Rowan Jones has fallen under the Cometti curse. Cometti decided that Clive Waterhouse was his favourite player and he was all washed up within 2-3 years. He then changed to Rowan Jones about 2 years ago so he is on target to be finished about the end of 2005.

yes, and I remember hearing somewhere that Selwood was Dennis' new favourite player!

oh dear :eek:

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
If we want to give guys like Selwood, B. Jones and Morton opportunities next year, then R. Jones goes even further back in the pecking order.
The problem with this thinking R.Jones is a different type of player. Although Jones probably isn't in the top 22, he'd get a game ahead because mid fielders are dime a dozen whilst Jones is a utility.

I don't even rate Jones and was calling for his delisting last year but he has had to good preseason games and has no one really to compete with to grab a forward spot. Staker maybe if he's not wanted at CHB. Embley's more of a midfielder. Morton, Selwood, Butler etc are too small, can't take a good grab, and would over balance the forward line that already boast Matera and Sampi. On the other hand, a hansen might overbalance it with Gardiner and MacDougall already there with possibly Cox or Seaby able to rest down there.

So although Jones is down the pecking order on ability/potential, he is up the pecking order in terms of getting a game.

I found this article on the Australian website which I found interesting about Jones

Jones looks forward to role on rebound
Scott Coghlan
February 26, 2005

WHEN West Coast utility Rowan Jones realised he was surplus to the Eagles' midfield needs, like any good commerce graduate he identified a new niche for his skills.

The ultra-professional 25-year-old is regarded as one of the senior players at West Coast. The esteem in which he is held within the club is reflected by the fact that he is part of the Eagles' leadership group.

However, Jones last year learned the hard way that respect does not guarantee you a spot in the side. In a bittersweet end to his season, Jones was dropped for West Coast's only finals appearance just days after finding out his wife, Sherie, was pregnant with their first child.

Having initially made a name for himself as a run-with midfielder, Jones passed the 100-game mark last season. But he landed in uncharted territory by being squeezed out of the side by a combination of his own indifferent form and the embarrassment of midfield riches -- think Chris Judd, Ben Cousins, Daniel Kerr, Chad Fletcher, Andrew Embley and co -- at the club.

With former Adelaide tagger Tyson Stenglein further adding to that midfield depth this season, Jones is primarily looking forward as he attempts to re-establish himself in 2005.

"I think it will be more half-forward," Jones said of his role this season. "That is basically where I see myself this year.

"I think our midfield is just far too strong to even contemplate playing there. Having said that, I believe I can fill quite a few roles because of my size and the way I play the game.

"But I would say that I will predominantly be picked as a half-forward."

At 187cm and a strong overhead mark, Jones is likely to be asked to shut down dangerous rebounding defenders, of which tonight's Darwin opponents, Collingwood, have several. He will also be expected to contribute a couple of goals a week.

Jones said it was a role with which he felt comfortable.

"My first few years at the Eagles I played a lot across half-forward," he said. "Under Woosha (coach John Worsfold), I have started playing more forward, so it is not a huge learning curve.

"It is not like the midfield, where you judge your game on stats. It can be quite hard to have an impact across half-forward, if you have eight or nine touches, be kicking one or two goals a week and having three shots on goal a week you are doing your job."

By his own standards, Jones made an encouraging start in the new role in the pre-season competition first-round win over Fremantle.

He gathered eight possessions, dragged in three marks and kicked one goal from limited game time.

Having missed the finals loss to Sydney last year, Jones said he needed to make an early impact this season.

"I was quite happy with the way the game went for the team, and personally it was okay for me," he said.

"I was on and off the bench a bit, but it was good to have an impact when I came on and get into the play reasonably quick.

"I missed out a few times last year and I know that our young players are developing well and you have to be playing well week-in, week-out, just to get a game.

"I set myself for a good pre-season and achieved that, now I just have to build each week in the pre-season competition and gain a bit of consistency.

"I want to establish myself in the side and give the coaches the confidence that I can fill a role."

But while 2005 is a pivotal year for Jones on the field, it is even more so away from football, with Sherie due to give birth at the end of April.

While missing an AFL game is the last thing Jones needs at this stage of his career, family will take priority.

"I would miss the game if it was going to be born on the weekend, definitely," Jones said. "It is due on a Wednesday though, so hopefully everything goes perfectly."

Almost forgot about this thread.

Rowan Jones had another good game today. His skills weren't that great at times but his endevour was great. That 2 or 3 good games in a row now. And to think some people wanted him out of the 22. :rolleyes:

"Jones was dropped for West Coast's only finals appearance just days after finding out his wife, Sherie, was pregnant with their first child."
two devastating slices of news in the one week, tough break

Bestbird said:
Not yet but

His best position is HFF. Takes a strong grab and does all the 1 percenters but needs to improve his disposal to get back in the starting lineup.

After last nights game my opinion is still the same as before regarding Rowan

but

With the eagles marking power up front as displayed last night he could cause other teams a lot of difficulties when you consider how good he and sampi at taking strong marks across the HFF line as well.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that structure wise he could actually be in the best 22 now

TRIGGAMAN said:
Ok, now thats too far. Maybe he struggles from time to time but he is in our best 25-28. Actually for mine he is about in the best 25-28.

You can't tell me that at one stage next season we won't have 3-5 players from our best 22 injured or out of form leaving the door open for him. I'd play him on the HFF. I think Embley and Kerr are better suited to more 'midfield' positions. Sampi to start on the bench for mine.
He's gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Rowan Jones Finished?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back