Is Russell Brand a Genius or a Flog?

Remove this Banner Ad

True story.

I was ordering food at Subway the other day, and the guy behind me's sandwich was ready before mine was and he had to squeeze past me to get to the register. No problem.

As he's going past he says "Thanks champ" and I reacted in the worst and best possible way

I just muttered "Oh **** you" like under my breath but loud enough that he coudl hear it. But without making eye contact or acknowledging him. I'm not even sure he knew why I said it, but it was clear the phrase wasn't directed straight at him. Because my "**** you" was more of a "I can't believe people still actually say such patronising shit to strangers, how has nobody knocked this tools ******* head off already?"

Literally the second I hear someone say that word, I just hate the actual fact that they exist. It isn't personal, its not his fault as such. He's just a complete dickhead. It actually makes me angry at society that people even say that shit.
Back when I did a five year sentence at a fast food store when I was a late teen I remember telling a woman, after handing her meal through the drive through window, to "take care and have a great night" only to overhear her mutter "yeah, w@nker" as she drove away. Is this what you mean?

Local lad here leaving his opinion on Brand's alternative to the status quo. I actually think he's a bit of a genius, he actually has the balls to speak his mind an offer an interesting argument to the main stream.
Although i have to agree with Topher when it comes to his solution...

Topher is a bit prone to being a dumb conservative. His thoughts on refugees are reprehensible.

Topher is a bit prone to being a dumb conservative. His thoughts on refugees are reprehensible.

I could think of a few terms to describe Topher, dumb would not be one of them. The guy has some smarts and although I hardly agree with everything he spouts, I think he nailed this one.
His stance on refugee's is probably more toward the deaths at sea due to illegal trafficking, which skyrocketed under Labor's government.

It skyrocketed for a variety of reasons, but the primary one was the insanely brutal rhetoric coming out of the Abbott opposition, and the effect that had on the ALP constantly getting "tougher" on refugees.

The longer people waited, the harsher the rules were going to get. Considering that your date of arrival defines which rules apply, the Coalition and ALP are equally responsible for the deaths at sea in their race to the bottom in who can victimise the most vulnerable people in Australia.

Topher lacks insight more than anything. He isn't lacking intelligence.

His Brand comments are stupid, stating that the only way to distribute wealth properly is through a big government.... well Topher, if that's the ONLY way to get a fair distribution of power (which is all wealth is) surely the system is in fact in dire need of a massive overhaul. If that requires big government, so be it. Its not as if the government have shown a lack of will to use force against innocent people in the name of big business already.

He's an economic libertarian, and by definition that makes him pretty stupid.

While his concerns about the potential for more controlling laws being put in place similiar to 9/11 after this, his douchebaggary makes him hard to like

His hating on Murdoch overshadows his point a little and I feel itll be lost on a lot of people because of it. Yes hes a twat, but Murdochs tweet is getting more air time than it deserves by his haters. He said congrats, who gives a shit, its hardly groundbreaking and we certainly havent learned anything from it about him we didnt already know

He's a kind, compassion, smart and insightful individual.

When I say intelligent, I don't refer specifically to his IQ, when is obviously off-the-charts but his ideological world view and the philosophical way he interacts with it. In an age where most people don't question the superficial nature of the world around them, he's not afraid to be authentic and earthy. His personality is unique, he doesn't take life too seriously and he's comfortable within himself - all traits which are admirable and seemingly dying.

I was never big into his stand-up, but when he's interviewed he's quick witted, direct and funny. Truly inhabits that timeless English wit that blokes like Ricky Gervais and Noel Gallagher also seem to imbue.

His social commentary is usually on point too; conscious, candid and ostensibly poignant.

When I say intelligent, I don't refer specifically to his IQ, when is obviously off-the-charts but his ideological world view and the philosophical way he interacts with it. In an age where most people don't question the superficial nature of the world around them, he's not afraid to be authentic and earthy. His personality is unique, he doesn't take life too seriously and he's comfortable within himself - all traits which are admirable and seemingly dying.

I was never big into his stand-up, but when he's interviewed he's quick witted, direct and funny. Truly inhabits that timeless English wit that blokes like Ricky Gervais and Noel Gallagher also seem to imbue.

His social commentary is usually on point too; conscious, candid and ostensibly poignant.
I love his cynicism regarding the commercial world as well. Although he and I and all of us are its bitch, it's still a horrible, cynical, predatory system that's not for the betterment of humanity. He really questions a huge thing – the cloth of life now – but it's bold and genuinely something I can get behind.

Good old Rusty, who can forget how he happily worked for News International for so long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Russell

but wouldn't actually do anything to alter his lifestyle. it's a facade. he's a hypocrite

What do you mean? He doesn't make movies or host shows anymore, all his time seems to be dedicated to activism.

but wouldn't actually do anything to alter his lifestyle. it's a facade. he's a hypocrite
Dude, what do you expect him to do? He dedicates a heap of time and money to causes he's passionate about, he rents a home as he refuses to buy one.

You really want him to give away his entire fortune to some charity or something? Like a few million will make any difference. Give the guy a break.

Anyway, I did really believe in Russell and thought he was onto something, until I read Revolution. A lot of it is rambling and he struggles to connect the dots and make sense of it all. He does make some very, very good points about capitalism as a whole though and he is passionate. He's the type of guy you can appreciate even if you think his views are pretty whacked out - always good to see a celeb using his status to preach important topics in a language the youth can relate to and understand.

Also, would have loved to sit in his pocket for a night out back in the day, enough women and drugs to satisfy you for a year probably.

He already has. He's quit drugs, discovered meditation and now dedicates most of his time to activism and being involved in social causes.

“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter; now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”

He already has. He's quit drugs, discovered meditation and now dedicates most of his time to activism and being involved in social causes.

“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter; now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
Driving in limos and dating billionaire heiresses while complaining about inequality is hipocrisy.

Up until his little attempt at being some sort of political activist, I thought he was okay. Style over substance, but okay nonetheless. But the more he put himself out there and started trying to deal with big boy issues, the more he came across as being about as insightful as your typical 20 year old Uni student 'activist' who thinks they know how to solve all the world's problems.

Faux thinking man's thinking man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back